Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a house near a halting site?

Options
  • 21-09-2019 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

This thread is inspired by the thread asking people whether or not they'd live next to social housing. There were many articulate arguments made for and against the idea, however most of them were mired with prejudice.
    It is an undeniable fact that travellers are disproportionately involved in criminal activity with as much as 20% of prison spaces being occupied by this tiny percentage of the overall population. Locals are intimidated, burgled and robbed whenever travellers move in. The residents of the Carrickmines area were bullied and intimidated by the travellers before the fire and subsequent closure.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/carrickmines-residents-and-traveller-community-at-odds-before-fatal-fire-368727.html

A huge number of halting sites, regardless of whether they are caravan-based or settled houses based are torn asunder within months or even days of them moving in. Floorboards are ripped up to retrieve copper and horses and other animals are abused and shackled on site.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/animal-rescue-star-quit-over-traveller-threats-289883.html

Less than 20% of travellers are employed, yet they always seem to be driving the best of vehicles and sporting the best of wares. This, in my opinion, implies that there is some sort of criminality involved in the accumulation of their assets.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/p8itseah/

A house near a halting site, as much as I hate to admit it, is a sitting duck, not asking but begging to be burgled. If I lived near one every noise at night would make me paranoid. I'd be terrified of leaving elderly relatives unaccompanied in the house. I won't apologise for this opinion.

Would you live near a halting site?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Honest answer....no.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

..... and it's a no from me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

Fair enough lads, not surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

I know a family that moved very close to Dunsink Lane when it was very much a no mans land and they never had an ounce of trouble.

That said, it would not be for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

You thinking of buying a house?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

JizzBeans wrote: »
    Fair enough lads, not surprising

How did you think it would go?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How did you think it would go?

Indeed. Redundant thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The last thread this poster started was about how much money they earn as a teacher by onky working 18 hours.....this included comments about “commoners” etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

A house near a halting site, as much as I hate to admit it, is a sitting duck, not asking but begging to be burgled. If I lived near one every noise at night would make me paranoid. I'd be terrified of leaving elderly relatives unaccompanied in the house. I won't apologise for this opinion.

Is that Peter Casey :) In truth, you'd possibly be safer living close by even if you had to put up with all the carry on and general mess.

The same question was asked of other candidates in the presidential debates. As far as I recall, they all said they'd have no issues with such an arrangement, including our re elected incumbent. So if the first citizen would have no difficulty with this, maybe neither should we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

No.

Indeed. Redundant thread.

Feel free to leave

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Is that Peter Casey :) In truth, you'd possibly be safer living close by even if you had to put up with all the carry on and general mess.

The same question was asked of other candidates in the presidential debates. As far as I recall, they all said they'd have no issues with such an arrangement, including our re elected incumbent. So if the first citizen would have no difficulty with this, maybe neither should we?

Yes to appease the PC brigade though, I seriously doubt they will ever consider property in these areas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The presidents house in Circular Road Galway is pretty close to a halting site. Whatever about the others he was being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Bought a house in 2014. Creamers moved in nearby and set up a huge site themselves in ‘15... they all moved out last month and funnily enough, the car thefts, stolen bikes and break ins have coincidentally stopped!

I probably wouldn't buy, but nothings permanent, and nothing is certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

It’s quiet possible that our president lied ... cause no one in their right mind would live next to a halting site.

hawkelady wrote: »
    It’s quiet possible that our president lied ... cause no one in their right mind would live next to a halting site.

His house in Galway is less than 400m from one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

The presidents house in Circular Road Galway is pretty close to a halting site. Whatever about the others he was being honest.
    Which one. ? He has a few apparently!

Which one. ? He has a few apparently!

The main one he lived in before becoming president.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm in Dublin, there are 3 'sites' I drive past weekly. most are derelict and have been stripped of roof tiles, copper pipes, wiring, etc, - anything that could be sold.. one house still has a family in it with some horses residing in the unoccupied gardens of the stripped out shells.

So, yeah, its probably safe to buy next to them as they are never going to be long term tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

The main one he lived in before becoming president.

Ah right. But he’s not living in it. He’s renting it. If I had another house , next to a halting site , I’d have no problem renting it out

hawkelady wrote: »
    Ah right. But he’s not living in it. He’s renting it. If I had another house , next to a halting site , I’d have no problem renting it out

He lived there for decade(s) before becoming president. Think his son lives there now and he is or certainly was a regular visitor on weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The last thread this poster started was about how much money they earn as a teacher by onky working 18 hours.....this included comments about “commoners” etc

He'll fit in well here then.
    I lived in the middle of two traveller families (settled tho one of them had mobile home out the back) for 7 years, only issue was having to get a car moved from outside my house, other than that, nothing. They don't **** on their own doorstep. Never bothered me one iota living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

If the choice was between them and someone who calls themselves Jizzbeans. I'm moving to traveller town.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

This thread is inspired by the thread asking people whether or not they'd live next to social housing. There were many articulate arguments made for and against the idea, however most of them were mired with prejudice.
    It is an undeniable fact that travellers are disproportionately involved in criminal activity with as much as 20% of prison spaces being occupied by this tiny percentage of the overall population. Locals are intimidated, burgled and robbed whenever travellers move in. The residents of the Carrickmines area were bullied and intimidated by the travellers before the fire and subsequent closure.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/carrickmines-residents-and-traveller-community-at-odds-before-fatal-fire-368727.html

A huge number of halting sites, regardless of whether they are caravan-based or settled houses based are torn asunder within months or even days of them moving in. Floorboards are ripped up to retrieve copper and horses and other animals are abused and shackled on site.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/animal-rescue-star-quit-over-traveller-threats-289883.html

Less than 20% of travellers are employed, yet they always seem to be driving the best of vehicles and sporting the best of wares. This, in my opinion, implies that there is some sort of criminality involved in the accumulation of their assets.

I'd sooner live next to a site owned by Islamic state

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭touts

To be honest no. I'm sure the vocal minority of people will think that's my fault and my bigotry. I'm also certain the silent majority will understand that it's the fault of the travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I did, and I wouldn't do it again. Most of the trouble in the area comes from there and whenever someone points the finger they cry racism

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Or maybe....he was lying?

We have travellers nearby and although they don't get too involved in criminal stuff (break ins, car theft, etc.) around here, they are noisy, are involved in joyriding, bonfires for rubbish etc. they always seem to be having arguments.

It must be exhausting being them. But I wouldn't live near them by choice, either.

Nobody will say otherwise. Travellers have ruined their own reputation. You never hear of them starting social clubs or doing clean ups in the community or anything like that. Take, take, take and give nothing in return. Which is a shame as a fair few of them are decent people and get tarred with the brush through no fault of their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

No.

Advertisement