Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a house near a halting site?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,520 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Define “Near”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Absolutely f.u.c.k.ing not

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If near one that is a few miles away then ok but if you can see it then na your grand....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Relative bought a first house almost backing onto a traveller halting site. They were near the end of the road backing onto a school but the other end was right onto the halting site.

One girl went out her back garden to find two travellers chopping up each other with machetes in her back garden and blood everywhere. Girl left that day and refused to return. Said she could not cope there.

My relative moved out later as well (not related to the Travellers) as it was not really a good area, but it got her onto the property ladder and she made a huge profit at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

Grew up with a halting site right behind my house. It was messy and there were basically wild horses marauding but as another poster said, they didn't really crap on their own doorstep crimewise and we went to the same school with the kids so were friendly enough with them.

When they moved on the area always had some site or another and it was never really that bad bar litter. My parents still live there and there are fairly high numbers of settled families and Roma too but the only complaint is the amount of bangers parked on the road.

So while I wouldn't put "next to a halting site" in my essential criteria while buying, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 the herr blair bunch

Any of you who enjoy a hike up the Hellfire Club will no doubt have seen the new and, when I was there last year, still being built developments at the foot of the area, at Stocking Lane. Large estate, ugly design (as all the newer builds tend to be these days, and I work in the industry), no front gardens on most IIRC, again as is par for the course with most new builds.

From memory they started at 400k, and they are right on the doorstep of a small traveller housing scheme.

You won't exactly get a bargain on anything within spitting distance of them in wealthier areas either.

Would I particularly like to live next to a halting site?
    No.

Would I pay 400k to live next to one in Rathfarnham when I can pay 180- 200k to live next to one in Finglas?
    Absoloutely ****ing not. What sort of lunatic pays that for a house there? An ugly one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

He lived there for decade(s) before becoming president. Think his son lives there now and he is or certainly was a regular visitor on weekends.

I wouldnt have a problem living close to a halting site if i knew when i contacted police, instant action would be taken if my property was being vandalised or stolen by travellers.

Of course that will never happen if the ordinary man or woman call to report it.

Now if the police get a call from Michael D Higgins, president of Ireland, I have a feeling the police response time will be quicker.

Very easy to say you'll have no problem living next to a halting site when you have armed guards protecting it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

No.

About 10 years ago I saw a nice house for sale in West Dublin.
    Booked an appointment to view it.
    Saw on google maps that there was a halting site across the road from it and cancelled the appointment first thing the next day.

It's not just about you tolerating living beside them, it's the resale value of your house too.

Travellers used to work for farmers and make items out of tin for sale, hence the term "tinker", which wasn't a pejorative term originally. Back in the day and were a respected part of rural Ireland. Then the dole came in and they went from being valued to valueless with nothing to. Do except sit round, drink, make babies and get up to no good.

Some sort of education or work for long term welfare would be a much better alternative for travellers, or indeed all long term unemployed. Coupled with actual law enforcement.

We also need to give decent travellers a chance at employment and being full members of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

No way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Absolutely not. I don't want to bring that hassle into my life.

Im as open minded as the next person but the fact remains, despite all the research about their background, the discrimination they face etc, that a lot of them are just criminals and I have no interest in being around that type of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mcd121

No.
    And dont forget the house you pay for they get for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I wouldn't take one for free. 100% no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

Travellers used to work for farmers and make items out of tin for sale, hence the term "tinker", which wasn't a pejorative term originally. Back in the day and were a respected part of rural Ireland. Then the dole came in and they went from being valued to valueless with nothing to. Do except sit round, drink, make babies and get up to no good.

Some sort of education or work for long term welfare would be a much better alternative for travellers, or indeed all long term unemployed. Coupled with actual law enforcement.

We also need to give decent travellers a chance at employment and being full members of society.
    travellers don't want to be full members of society though, that why they choose to be travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

Absolutely not. I don't want to bring that hassle into my life.

Im as open minded as the next person but the fact remains, despite all the research about their background, the discrimination they face etc, that a lot of them are just criminals and I have no interest in being around that type of person.

Why is it frowned upon to say that these days though, I mean its a legitimate point nothing wrong with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Interesting discussion point JizzBeans.

Not A & P related though so feel free to continue that line of thought somewhere else.

Do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Have you invited them over for Sunday lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

No way. No no no. Why would you bring that on yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭FrankPoll.

Yes boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Any of you who enjoy a hike up the Hellfire Club will no doubt have seen the new and, when I was there last year, still being built developments at the foot of the area, at Stocking Lane. Large estate, ugly design (as all the newer builds tend to be these days, and I work in the industry), no front gardens on most IIRC, again as is par for the course with most new builds.

From memory they started at 400k, and they are right on the doorstep of a small traveller housing scheme.

You won't exactly get a bargain on anything within spitting distance of them in wealthier areas either.

Would I particularly like to live next to a halting site?
    No.

Would I pay 400k to live next to one in Rathfarnham when I can pay 180- 200k to live next to one in Finglas?
    Absoloutely ****ing not. What sort of lunatic pays that for a house there? An ugly one at that.

You're right, those houses are shocking, drive by them most days going to work.
    Assume this is the development you are referring to? http://ballycullengreen.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I wouldnt have a problem living close to a halting site if i knew when i contacted police, instant action would be taken if my property was being vandalised or stolen by travellers.

Of course that will never happen if the ordinary man or woman call to report it.

Now if the police get a call from Michael D Higgins, president of Ireland, I have a feeling the police response time will be quicker.

Very easy to say you'll have no problem living next to a halting site when you have armed guards protecting it for you.

Yep, understand that sentiment. Like I said, I lived between two traveller families for 7 years and the only issue was a car parked outside my house, taking up a spot visitors often parked in. After 2 days I called the police and they didnt want to know, so I told them that we all know who owns the car and if it wasnt one of them you'd have it moved pronto, you just arent keen to have to deal with them. An hour later they knocked on my door, I basically repeated those words, and the car was gone soon after. Lesson here is if the garda wont deal with something, travellers or otherwise, pressure them into doing so and dont take no for an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Since the term travellers, they don't stay put for too long, and it would be according to whether they are just going about their own business and not interested in my business, there are terrible individuals in both the settled and unsettled communities, it would be down to the individual, if they liked a peaceful safe life like me, or if there is a history of trouble in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

oceanman wrote: »
    travellers don't want to be full members of society though, that why they choose to be travellers.

I wouldn't be a fan by any means but what choice do they really have when it's all they know growing up and are often allowed to neglect their education and/or drop out of school completely at the first opportunity.

That said, on topic, I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

No. No apologies either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I wouldn't set up a business near one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The same reason I wouldn't live beside a builder's yard or petrol station. The noise and mess from any business would put me off. There was a guy dealing in cars on the road for a long time but a bit away. Somebody new moved close to them and just reported any cars without tax and insurance on the road. Made the car dealer a lot cleaner and careful. I doubt that other people would be as careful after complaints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I grew up living close to a halting site for nearly 15 years and personally did not experience any problems with the families that lived there. For reference, it was on Brookfield Road in Tallaght. I think its gone now.

The traveller families that lived there were the best at policing any other travellers that come into the area. They were fully integrated into the nearby schools and community and did not want any trouble from other travellers falling back on them. When another halting site was proposed very close by, they were the main objectors and stopped it from going ahead.

I bought my house a long time ago and it genuinely did not occur to me to consider halting sites nearby when I was buying. And after the last thread on social housing, thats all I'm going to say on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

I frequently hear that estate agents find it difficult to sell houses close to halting site, within a 1-2km that is. Re sale value is non virtually existent. If something better comes along after say five years, one should expect to loose money I suppose

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

That's an odd subject for estate agents to bring up with/around you in such frequency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Maybe losing money is different to loosing money?

Advertisement