Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seafood

• 21-09-2019 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Hi all, so I work in retail & today I was stocking some seafood on the shelfs when I happened to pack some "seafood mix" onto the shelf, Jesus H Christ the state of it, I could feel myself getting queasy & it got me to thinking as I dont eat this muck, who actually enjoys this "food"?

The smell of some of the items like people having microwave smoked salmon in the canteen is enough to make anybody go WTF, dont get me started about Tuna & its appearance & texture/smell & the rest like crab/carp/mussels :eek:

Tell me AH am I the only one that hates this "food"? Gimme a prime sirloin steak in pepper sauce anyday!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Psychlops wrote: »
    Hi all, so I work in retail & today I was stocking some seafood on the shelfs when I happened to pack some "seafood mix" onto the shelf, Jesus H Christ the state of it, I could feel myself getting queasy & it got me to thinking as I dont eat this muck, who actually enjoys this "food"?

The smell of some of the items like people having microwave smoked salmon in the canteen is enough to make anybody go WTF, dont get me started about Tuna & its appearance & texture/smell & the rest like crab/carp/mussels :eek:

Tell me AH am I the only one that hates this "food"? Gimme a prime sirloin steak in pepper sauce anyday!

Tuna, sweet corn and cheese in a fresh bagette. Heaven.

Seafood pie on a cold winter's evening. Pure comfort.

Crab claws in Lobster bisque. Finger licking good.

Here's a tip. Go to a nice seafood restaurant and try it. You'll never look back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Carp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Chowder

Love me some breaded cod/haddock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Quite like sea food . Mussels ,cod caught yourself is lovely. Best by a mile I've had are prawns in Shanghai.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

You should try raw langoustine heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The only thing wrong with cooked seafood is the smell which lingers around the house far too long, which is why I tend to buy smoked fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Over 100million Japanese can't be all wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That seafood mix is usually some combination of cod, smoked haddock and salmon, it is delicious in a seafood chowder served with a couple of well buttered slices of crusty bread. Proper comfort food for the winter.

Only problems I have with seafood is its too expensive and I dont eat enough of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Fresh seafood doesn't smell much when cooked.Unfortunately we here in this country don't appreciate seafood and most people don't know the difference between good and bad.I work in the business and see very little top quality fish landed.The fishermen are more interested in quantity than quality...they tow their nets for too long,stay out too long and handle their catch poorly....as a result the consumer is getting a poorer product than what they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

touts wrote: »

Here's a tip. Go to a nice seafood restaurant and try it. You'll never look back.

The first one , the tuna , sweetcorn and cheese is my rescue food.
    The rest you can stick up your hole .
    Special mention for mackerel and some butter and lemon juice, amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Who the fu(k eats carp?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

touts wrote: »

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

They were wrong before.

Of course they can!

Who the fu(k eats carp?!

Alot of Eastern Europeans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Of course they can!

Particularly in the 1930s and '40s

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hello, ladies!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sometimes it really amazes me how many picky eaters live on this island.

Seafood is amazing and incredibly varied, you shouldn't just cast it all aside in one go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Who the fu(k eats carp?!

A client of ours from the Czech Republic told us they have it for Christmas dinner over there. He told us a story about winning one in a work competition. It was live, so he kept it in his bath until Christmas. Kind of reminded me of the whole Pinchy thing from The Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Esel wrote: »
    Hello, ladies!

If this isn't a reference to a joke by Junior in the Sopranos, then I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Alot of Eastern Europeans.

Mostly on Christmas eve.

Well prepared carp is actually very nice and flavoursome.

It is difficult to eat because of the size of the bones, but if one cooks it well it is well worth a try.

I was actually surprised when moved in here that fish and seafood are not as popular despite being an island.

Beef quality here is great, though, so can't blame you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Carp don't live in the sea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Carp don't live in the sea

That is true.

That's why I separate fish from seafood in general, to avoid confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Chowder

Its CHOWDAH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I sea food

Its CHOWDAH!

Chowdare you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gotta catch a whale for research, to research how tasty it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

steves2 wrote: »
    If this isn't a reference to a joke by Junior in the Sopranos, then I'll get me coat.

If you're gonna lie to me, there's a broad in the car wants to lick my balls.

One of my favorite things to make is a fish curry. Love making chowders and stews too but it's curry mainly.

Some people just have a problem with the various textures or grew up in houses where it was only served deep fried in batter or breaded fingers, and never saw it as a regular dinner table staple like beef or chicken.

Not a huge fan of sushi or sashimi though.

Candie wrote: »
    One of my favorite things to make is a fish curry. Love making chowders and stews too but it's curry mainly.

Some people just have a problem with the various textures or grew up in houses where it was only served deep fried in batter or breaded fingers, and never saw it as a regular dinner table staple like beef or chicken.

Not a huge fan of sushi or sashimi though.

You devil.... Chicken curry the only way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I love seafood but would never buy it prepackaged from a supermarket, I think supermarket packaged meats and seafood is disgusting. Its not fresh, it's processed, could have been dead for weeks, sourced from another country, touched by loads of different people and low quality.
    Local butchers and fishmongers source their meat and fish local from local butchers and fishermen, theyre fresh, better quality and not much difference in price like 2 or 3 euro's at the most.

You devil.... Chicken curry the only way...

I make a few different kinds of chicken curry too! I have slow-cooker-curry-itis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

I love fresh fish and have it at least 3 - 4 times a week. I'm fortunate to have a very good fishmonger near where I live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Shared this feast this evening with a bird I’m riding at the moment. Had a dozen oysters to start as well. Feel very sorry for people who don’t like this sort of food.

BBEE5-ABB-BDDA-4-AB2-98-B4-6978-A2751490.jpg
    C3102776-BED0-4-D25-B621-5-D73-FD29-B5-F0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Jim 77

I'm on a seafood diet. Every time I see food, I eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I can't understand how people say they don't like seafood. It's like saying you don't like veg or meat. There are many types. Raw meat looks pretty disgusting as well, especially a chicken.

Try it you might like it. Start with a fish finger.

I love fish all fish and shell fish could happily live in it forever. Packets of mixed fish are lovely in a fish pie or chowder.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, I’m allergic to all seafood so I can’t eat it.

Smoked salmon and scampi looks and smells rather appetizing but for a lot of other types of seafood, especially seafood chowder, the smell of it is frankly revolting and makes me feel rather ill.

Always liked fish but only got into seafood when I moved out of Ireland. It's delicious and healthy. I'm even getting into snails recently since they're so popular here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

Smashed this bad boy in a little fishing village Benitses, down the Corfu coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One of my previous landlords who loved fishing once gave me a whole fresh caught sea bass. innards and all... was used to gutting after the North sea island.

They love winkles out here; I was offered them but no! I very occasionally am
    given a couple of mackerel. As others have said, fresh fish is expensive. .tends to be the occasional fish finger or two, but would love some fresh white fish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

o1s1n wrote: »
    Sometimes it really amazes me how many picky eaters live on this island.

Seafood is amazing and incredibly varied, you shouldn't just cast it all aside in one go.

Yep, just stick to safe, cremated steak with chips. Can't be doing with anything Mammy didn't serve up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Chowder

Chow-dare?

Chow-daaaaare?

It’s chow-dah

I do love prawns, mussels, salmon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Seafood can be erotic - turn an opened oyster sideways before eating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Hate most seafood. Awful texture, terrible taste to the majority of it. And yes, I’ve tried it in top class restaurants.

Having said that I love smoked salmon and tuna in a sandwich.

The rest of it can go jump.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Regularly make this........cheap, filling and relatively easy, you're just cooking rice.....
    C0HXJsel.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Well, I’m allergic to all seafood so I can’t eat it.

Smoked salmon and scampi looks and smells rather appetizing but for a lot of other types of seafood, especially seafood chowder, the smell of it is frankly revolting and makes me feel rather ill.
    Not medically allergic myself but I am "allergic" to the smell, and if food smells horrendous or looks horrendous then you should avoid it.

Chowder is indeed the worst. Do they leave the shít to ferment in the hotel sauna for a week to increase the smell or what happens to it?
    Similarily any fish in a restaurant in Ireland seems to stink to high heaven, and as for shell fish, christ.......

Funnily, I was once at a do in a fish lodge in the alps (so... 1000km+ inland), a wee wooden hut beside a private lake where they source the fish. I was dreading the smell of it surrounded by work colleagues all eating the stuff but in the end it was completely neutral, zilch, not even the faintest whiff - which really goes to show how the stink of fish in Ireland really isnt necessary, if only they could get fresh material.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Not medically allergic myself but I am "allergic" to the smell, and if food smells horrendous or looks horrendous then you should avoid it.

Chowder is indeed the worst. Do they leave the shto ferment in the hotel sauna for a week to increase the smell or what happens to it?
    Similarily any fish in a restaurant in Ireland seems to stink to high heaven, and as for shell fish, christ.......

Funnily, I was once at a do in a fish lodge in the alps (so... 1000km+ inland), a wee wooden hut beside a private lake where they source the fish. I was dreading the smell of it surrounded by work colleagues all eating the stuff but in the end it was completely neutral, zilch, not even the faintest whiff - which really goes to show how the stink of fish in Ireland really isnt necessary, if only they could get fresh material.

Such nonsense, there are loads of places in Ireland that serve fresh fish. If you served gone off fish people would be sick. Freshwater fish don't smell as much as salt water fish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement