Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart front door

• 22-09-2019 9:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Ive looked on here and on the net to try and find a smart front door. Seems to be the case there are none?

So is the only option to add a camera system and lock system post buying a front door?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Beersmith wrote: »
    Ive looked on here and on the net to try and find a smart front door. Seems to be the case there are none?

So is the only option to add a camera system and lock system post buying a front door?

I think palladio gave an option for smart mocks with their doors

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I think palladio gave an option for smart mocks with their doors

They do. Few hundred from what I remember. Made by Yale I think.

Don't think I'd fancy one though. Any smart look I've seen has security shortcomings, which kinda defeats the purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Beersmith wrote: »

Isn't there an insurance condition about having a certain type of lock. Check your terms and conditions.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Don't think I'd fancy one though. Any smart look I've seen has security shortcomings, which kinda defeats the purpose.

All locks have security shortcomings. Most locks put on Irish doors are pretty rubbish and the door and frames rather useless too.

Deviant Ollam's videos on youtube are pretty great way to show how easy it is to break into even highly secure facilities and locks.

I'd say a house with a smart lock + IP cams/video doorbell + smart alarm system will make you more secure then 99% of Irish homes.

No one is going to bother hacking your door lock when they can put a crow bar through a window.
    irishgeo wrote: »
    Isn't there an insurance condition about having a certain type of lock. Check your terms and conditions.

Check your insurance company, but most have changed now to just say a good quality lock. Also you can get smart locks that work with your existing lock, so they would be covered too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bk wrote: »
    Check your insurance company, but most have changed now to just say a good quality lock. Also you can get smart locks that work with your existing lock, so they would be covered too.

Axa only offer 5% discount for approved locks.
    https://www.axa.ie/home-insurance/

About 12 euro a year for me.do not worth the while

• Advertisement
Advertisement