Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thoughts about the future of BEV's

Options
  • 22-09-2019 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

I dont know if others feel the same as I do but i feel a year or 2 back we was in a situation of so may 'free' home charging points being offered to people and ESB not charging for people charging for on street charging and (i cannot remember) was vehicle/road tax exempt for BEV's? but the range was poor...

So will we be heading to a much much better range on a BEV but all the other incentives being taken away , as ESB are going to start charging for their on street charging and there is only grants available now . I still think the incentives have to be left in place personally for a bit longer as now could be the time people realistically start to consider ev's now the ranges are getting better on one charge

what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,347 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There is still a €5,000 subsidy and €5,000 VRT discount on EVs as well as a €600 subsidy for installing a charger (which is doable within that budget). Motor tax was always €120 and you get up to 75% discount on tolls and there is zero BIK for people using them as company cars

Very generous benefits, better than in most other EU countries

Charging a car costs nothing, at home not much more than €100 per 10k km (or 1c / km)

I'd say 90% of EV owners are happy that charges are coming in as it will free up the terribly congested public fast charging network

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

Like unkel said.
    Personally I believe the way to go is modest battery/range c. 300km and propper fast charging on the cars, rather than bigger and bigger battery's,more cars making the most of the reasources rather than fewer with bigger battery's.
    Obviously the charging infrastructure has to improve as well

• Registered Users Posts: 65,347 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Agreed. I'd happily travel across Ireland, even across Europe in my 28kWh battery car as long as there are multibay fast chargers everywhere (like in the Netherlands). All AA type organisations advise you to stop for 15 minutes every two hours you drive when you drive long distance. And with the kids on board you kind of have to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Once free charging has gone and few more IONITY and circle k fast chargers are installed it should be a pleasant experience to get around the country. 50kwh batteries look to be sweet spot for Ireland and will get from Dublin to most towns.

I would agree with unkel that I would happily travel the country with a small battery if the charging network was better. Cork > Dublin is fine now with lots of options to charge for my i3 or even the leaf 40.

Clearly rather than offer incentives to buy a BEV the direction we are going is to punish carbon which I don’t mind. Subsidies only ever increase prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Someone was saying on FB there is a hold on the 10k grants until the budget is fully announced

• Advertisement
Advertisement