Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Di2 Help

Options
  • 22-09-2019 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Have a new TT bike..maybe 6 months old with Di2, All of sudden its not working properly... Have the bike on the turbo in the shed, Fully charge it and come out the next day and its dead flat. pop in the charger and it starts working, unplug the charger straight away and it flashes 5 green lights (50% full) ... has anyone come across this before? Is it a charging issue or battery issue?! how does one find that out....

I downloaded E-tube on the laptop... but I dont think its right.. it doesnt reconize it when plugged in (its a very old laptop run windows Xp, the software version just had road bike / mountain bike / comfort bike so I dont think its right either as i've seen much newer versions before!

Anyone any ideas on the issue? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get somebody with a modern laptop to do the firmware update on it.

Friends have had to get batteries replaced under warranty before - erratic SoC/death. Shimano use no name cells instead of something reputable like LGChem or Samsung. BOM cost of the battery you pay €160 for cannot be over €20, probably more like €15.

I've no problem with premium brands and premium pricing but the sh1t Shimano pull at times is really infuriating. 6800 spider not being recalled is a prime (dangerous) example.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I had similar problems with Di2. You need a proper cable some of them don’t work. I use the one that came with it. Others were hit and miss

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

godtabh wrote: »
    I had similar problems with Di2. You need a proper cable some of them don’t work. I use the one that came with it. Others were hit and miss

Also, how old is the actually battery? Mine failed similar to that but was 3 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭S_D

less than 6 months old... I was using a chinese usb plug... didnt think that would be an issue though,,,

S_D wrote: »
    less than 6 months old... I was using a chinese usb plug... didnt think that would be an issue though,,,
    Hmm i didnt even think about, I did change that recently to that usb plug...maybe thats an issue

• Advertisement

solved by switching plugs as far as i can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I killed a newish battery using a usb plug which was too powerful. Delivered too many amps too quickly. Was told to only ever use usb from laptop to charge it

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

godtabh wrote: »
    solved by switching plugs as far as i can remember

Same as

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

all of the above, I had exactly the same issue, it was a "duff" usb cable. Battery in mine is 3 years old, holds its charge forever.

So I'll try a better quality USB plug! Hope that helps! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

S_D wrote: »
    So I'll try a better quality USB plug! Hope that helps! Thanks

Mine wasn't even necessarily a better quality plug, it was just different. In fact, the first two I tried are almost new Samsung plugs, whereas the one that worked was an ancient Garmin (I think) one

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

Had a very similar issue. Battery was less than a month old but would die overnight. Plug in the charger and battery would read over 50% within 10 minutes but dead again next day. Turned out it was a dud battery and was replaced under warranty. Replacement is still working 12 months later and a second bike with Di2 has the same battery 3 years old and working fine. Im using a old garmin usb adapter plug to charge. The main thing with any USB chargerr is that it has to deliver a minimum of 1.0 Amps. The Shimano charging unit will only ever deliver 0.4 Amps to the battery even if plugged into a 2.0 Amp aUSB charger.

Diagnostics ran on the battery and its fine?!...... Guessing it must be just a charging / plug issue.

Advertisement