Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing motorcycle frame

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

H_Lime wrote: »
    Again, I'm way out of debth here but if that bike was on an Irish reg there should be a record of the chassis number against it. If you try to register it as an import with the same chassis number theres a chance this could come to light and some iffy questions to answer then.

As I understand it the work has been done, but the OP is riding it around with Irish plates.
    Thats the issue, he has to import it as a used UK bike and pay the VRT then he will have a new logbook and it will all be straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Could he not just keep riding around and sure it'll be grand like? Who's checking?

If something happens just say you didn't know and blame the fella you bought it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Could he not just keep riding around and sure it'll be grand like? Who's checking?

If something happens just say you didn't know and blame the fella you bought it off.

Sure it'll be grand and like whos checking!
    Say he crashes into somone, not grand then and somone will check it then.
    What you're saying is be a cowboy, ya shouldn't get caught all things considered. On the basis he's looking to sort this asking for advice on a public bike forum I'm guessing he doesn't own a stetson and if he has he wants to hang it up;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You cannot move, transplant or alter a VIN - on anything. That would be fraud.

I'd still just post off to Shannon advising of a new frame number and see what happens . They can't claim you're anything but honest that way.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

But sure if that happened you say you had no idea, you are not a mechanic and didn't know where the vin was or how to check it. You just ride the bike. Lay the blame on the fella who sold you the bike and pin it on him.

Other option is to just fix it up, say nothing about anything and flog it on done deal and let it be someone else's problem to figure out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

on2wheels wrote: »
    Ill be abroad now for a very long time, so firstly was thinking of bringing it with me. After checking the laws of the country I'm going to, the import of it doesn't make financial sense.

So thought id keep it in Ireland to either drive if I ever come back, or to sell. I'm leaning to selling her though.

Flog it in NI or Mainland GB. Buy something else if you ever come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

galwaytt wrote: »
    You cannot move, transplant or alter a VIN - on anything. That would be fraud.

I'd still just post off to Shannon advising of a new frame number and see what happens . They can't claim you're anything but honest that way.

The frame is the bike though. You can swap an engine with little hassle, just need to inform Shannon. But swapping frames is a new bike and so will need to be registered again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,888 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Would've been less hassle and probably cheaper to sell the old bike for parts and just get another bike.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Del2005 wrote: »
    The frame is the bike though. You can swap an engine with little hassle, just need to inform Shannon. But swapping frames is a new bike and so will need to be registered again.

...that's not clear cut: I've done it with a new Honda frame, the only difference here is it's a used frame. OP has nothing to lose by just telling them the new frame number: they might just come back and ask for a dealer stamp on a letter.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement