Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Gigabox black or white?

Options
  • 23-09-2019 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Folks, very last minute question and if anyone had the answer it would great.
    Getting Vodafone fibre installed later today. Only going for the 150 plus TV package for now but may upgrade later. It says on contract emailed 'Vodafone Gigabox' but a friend who would be far more tech savvy than me said to make sure it is the black box and not the white one when they are doing the installation. Anyone any more info in this please?
    If me t makes any difference, I'm hoping to connect up with a Cat5E network which is all over the house. Cat5e is all run but nothing connected yet, all wires terminating in one spot near Fuse box in house.
    Any advice appreciated
    Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Not sure what he means, the only thing I can think of is that the new Gigabit box is black where as the previous Vodafone box was white. It's completely different so I would not worry about it.

Cat5e is all run but nothing connected yet, all wires terminating in one spot near Fuse box in house.

This is probably more relevant as then they are putting in the fibre cable they drill a hole from the outside into your house. I don't think you have much choice as to where they install. They run the cable underground between the ESB box on your wall outside your house and the street so they drill the hole into your house at the point of the ESB box into your house. The new setup also needs two power sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Thanks for reply. I think there is already a cat 5 cable running from phone box port outside house right into where the all those wires terminate. Phone wires (and ESB) are already subterranean running in from outside on the road. Only issue I have is finding the right wire inside and time is against me. Was away for the last few days and only got the text about installation on Friday evening. Guy is coming this afternoon.
    It would probably suit installer to go the cat5 route if possible as walls are around 2 and a half feet thick (Old Schoolhouse) and drilling can be tricky if he hits stone. Wires are already running too so it might mean he has to just put connectors on them rather than do the drilling.
    Might see if I can buy a few this morning if I can find anywhere that has them and/or a kit.
    Are installers generally flexible about stuff like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

The cable they install is a Fibre cable from the outside to the inside so I don't think that finding the right cable will be important. I've some pictures that might help you see what it looks like.

In the first picture, note the black wire going from the ESB box to the White box. Behind that white box is where they drilled the hole in the wall and installed the new fibre cable, which is very thin about 1/3 of a cat5 cable.

Inside the house, they run the fibre cable to the SIRO box on the wall and then from that SIRO box you run your Cat 5 to the Gigabox (Black box\router).

Thanks very much for posting that. Very helpful. I bought a cat 5e crimper earlier on and have starting putting connections on the ends of cables. Have one socket hooked up inside and must get another double socket now for where TV will he going. 2 wires terminating here.
    I'll have to chat to the engineer when he arrives about the easiest way to route things. Our ESB panel is on an external wall but only backing onto a semi external carport so he/she might have to run the fibre wire further in. I have a few options to run it through a garage and through a pre-drilled hole. I bought a 24 port patch panel locally earlier as well. Probably won't get it all hooked up today but might make a stab at getting the TV hooked up if possible.
    Thanks for the input and photos. Will update thread later with progress (hopefully)

They engineer that called couldn't install the fibre as there was a kink in the ducting underground and the cable wouldn't pass through. Site engineer to call next and see if they can rectify it. It will give me a chance to sort some if the cat5 stuff indoors anyway. I connected up the wires near the tv ports but none of the 3 of them terminated in the main cluster downstairs. I'll have to go looking in the attic and see if they were run up there instead.
    Used the engineers equipment today to check them but have to order my own to continue. Will pick up a cheapish DIY one on Amazon over the next few days.
    Thanks again for your help

Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement