Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl customer services

Options
  • 23-09-2019 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I bought an electrical device in June and it subsequently died in August.
    I brought in into the store and asked could I get a refund or replacement. The guy didn't really listen and said just to ring customer services for Lidl. Which I did.
    On the phone, they said as I don't have a receipt and it's over 60 days (i think that was the time frame he mentioned), it would need to be returned to the manufacturer under warrently and not Lidl.

Is that right? I thought the shop was responsible for the goods being fit for use and an electrical item should last longer than a couple of months. Its obviously faulty, it just completely died on me.

Anyway they gave me an email address on the phone to email the distributor (or manufacturer not sure which it is) and I duly emailed them two weeks ago but never got a response.

I'm not sure what to do now. I want to call Lidl back but I need some advice on what to say. If they try to give me an email address again can I insist on Lidl dealing with it and not pushing me to the non responsive distributor?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

If you have proof of purchase then Lidl have to offer either a repair, replacement or refund. Without proof they don't really have to do much.

Though, usually Lidl are better at dealing with issues than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

You really really need to keep the receipts for any products that can develop faults i have lost so many over the years and been stuck with broken stuff i couldnt get fixed under warranty.
    Going forward when you buy the product the minute you open it staple the receipt into the products brochure and put in a box for manuals / brochures.
    So far this year i have returned a broken hoover twice to lidl only 3 months old even the replacement broke a month later.... Solar lights for Aldi half them stopped working after a week.
    I really think you need to have proof of purchase my friend. by any chance did you use a card to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Yes will start keeping receipts!
    I did pay by card but I'm in Lidl every few days, how would that be differentiated from any other purchase?
    It was a baby monitor and it doesn't seem to be on sale anywhere else (from googling) so they would know I bought it from them.

Sesame wrote: »
    It was a baby monitor and it doesn't seem to be on sale anywhere else (from googling) so they would know I bought it from them.

They need the receipt so they can identify the transaction you paid for it with. Otherwise whats to stop you bringing your defective baby monitor to every Lidl in the country, getting a replacement for it and setting up shop selling cheap baby monitors you got for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

They need the receipt so they can identify the transaction you paid for it with. Otherwise whats to stop you bringing your defective baby monitor to every Lidl in the country, getting a replacement for it and setting up shop selling cheap baby monitors you got for free.

Lidl just swap the broken monitor for a working one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Presumably the first store would keep the defective item....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

:rolleyes: Any retailer takes back the defective items when replacing it. Your scheme doesn't make any sense.

Lidl just swap the broken monitor for a working one.

That's what I was hoping for!

But it's only available during their baby events.
    Might just write this off and lesson learnt to keep receipts, especially on electrical items.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CiaranIRE

Proof of purchase doesn't need to be a receipt. Get a bank statement and supply them with the dates and amounts of the purchases made in Lidl around that time and let them dig out the receipts from their records to match the dates and values.

I presume a manager will probably just issue the refund rather then go digging though records.

:rolleyes: Any retailer takes back the defective items when replacing it. Your scheme doesn't make any sense.

Not in my experience. Not always.
    Esel wrote: »
    Presumably the first store would keep the defective item....

Presumably. No, sometimes, not always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Lidl don’t, not in my case anyway. I reported a defective hedge clipper and they replaced it with a new one. I had the receipt and contacted customer services as advised in store. It was well over a year old and well used before the protective guard broke. I was well satisfied with their response and end result.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

CiaranIRE wrote: »
    Proof of purchase doesn't need to be a receipt. Get a bank statement and supply them with the dates and amounts of the purchases made in Lidl around that time and let them dig out the receipts from their records to match the dates and values.

I presume a manager will probably just issue the refund rather then go digging though records.

They have on some items a 3 year warranty. I bought a small dehumidifer for 19.99 (with my weekly shop 55.00) with a 3 year warranty last week. I wonder if I was to show them my bank statement in 2.5 years time with LIDL 55.00 saying i had no original receipt would they really entertain me?:confused: The figures wouldnt tally

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Easiest way to keep receipts is to take a photo of the receipt and save it is a seperate receipts folder on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CiaranIRE

They have on some items a 3 year warranty. I bought a small dehumidifer for 19.99 (with my weekly shop 55.00) with a 3 year warranty last week. I wonder if I was to show them my bank statement in 2.5 years time with LIDL 55.00 saying i had no original receipt would they really entertain me?:confused: The figures wouldnt tally

In your example...

The warranty would the responsibility of the manufacturer in 2.5 years.

The claim against Lidl here would be the life expectancy of the item, and I imagine 2.5 years is probably about right for a €19.99 Lidl dehumidifier. A 500 euro fridge or TV would be different as the life expectancy is longer.

However, it would make no difference, your bank statement would be enough to show proof of purchase. It's enough for Lidl to look at receipts for 55 euro on that date and produce a copy of the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

except OP doesnt even know the date, shops there regularly and cannot tell which transaction on the statement to 'use' as proof of purchase.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

OP, you know the month, just show them a copy of your card statement (blank out the non-Lidl transactions) and tell them it is one of those on your list.
    They will try and fob you off, they tried with me until I took them to the small claims court when they immediately folded

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

To follow up on this, I have to commend lidl. Received new monitor in the post last week. No note and I don't know if it came from the distributer or lidl itself. I gave them my address on one of the phone calls early on.
    Great service albeit confusing!

Advertisement