Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the whole environment scare like a modern Armageddon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

gibgodsman wrote: »
    The Ozone layer didn't just close back up, we took action and changed our ways in order for it to fix itself. Climate change is real, and hopefully people change their ways before its too late on this one, because it will have much much bigger consequences for our children's children's children.

"It's like AIDS from the sky," says Bedrich Magas, an electrical engineer who has waged an aggressive campaign to attract public interest-and research funds.

https://www.newsweek.com/life-under-ozone-hole-201054

The ozone crisis was similarly hyped by those looking to cash in. The “climate crisis” is much more lucrative as the solution will involve a cultural and economic revolution and there are many companies and individuals positioning themselves to come out on top.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

do the youth not feel invincible anymore?

something has gone badly wrong if a teenager is worrying about something that may happen in 50 years time

Probably cos it's happening in front of them right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Apparently climate ‘experts’ are 0-41 with their doomsday predictions. That settled science that keeps being jammed down our throats doesn't quite seem to be so settled.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    "It's like AIDS from the sky," says Bedrich Magas, an electrical engineer who has waged an aggressive campaign to attract public interest-and research funds.

https://www.newsweek.com/life-under-ozone-hole-201054

The ozone crisis was similarly hyped by those looking to cash in. The “climate crisis” is much more lucrative as the solution will involve a cultural and economic revolution and there are many companies and individuals positioning themselves to come out on top.

Going to be hard for anyone to spend money if its not fixed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

quokula wrote: »
    The Ozone layer was a real issue and we took action and solved it.

Climate change is a real issue with much larger consequences, and we have the ability to take action and solve it, but so far we've failed to do so.

No we don't. There is literally zero evidence we have anything to do with it, never mind change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No we don't. There is literally zero evidence we have anything to do with it, never mind change it.

We have nothing to do with species extinction and the continuing mass destruction of natural habitats? Or plastic in the oceans? Or filthy air in our cities?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

We have nothing to do with species extinction and the continuing mass destruction of natural habitats? Or plastic in the oceans? Or filthy air in our cities?

They're separate issues really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

bladespin wrote: »
    They're separate issues really.

Well not if you take a holistic approach - filthy, rapacious humans are the problem.

Well not if you take a holistic approach - filthy, rapacious humans are the problem.

Maybe but plastic in the ocean isn't causing the earth to overheat afik, that's another issue.

Maybe but plastic in the ocean isn't causing the earth to overheat afik, that's another issue.

I'm pretty sure ocean pollution is causing the Earth to over heat in some ways.
    Anyway the thread title is environment scare, so yes we're wrecking the environment and green movements are the ones trying to stop this as well as climate change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Anyway the thread title is environment scare, so yes we're wrecking the environment and green movements are the ones trying to stop this as well as climate change.

So does farting. People should hold on to their farts for mother earth.

Did you come up with that all by yourself? Hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Won't we be embarrassed in a hundred years time when we saved hundreds of species going extinct, cut down on fossil fuels and we can still find water to drink and air to breathe :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

‘Climate change activists’ are participating in a #ShutDownDC protest today in DC in order to disrupt the system that they claim perpetuates the climate crisis.

Hmmm… Nothing like making tens of thousands of cars idle in traffic to show you’re serious about fighting climate change. That will SURELY stop the ice caps from melting.

They’d be better off just admitting they just wanted an excuse to dress up in silly costumes and act like morons for attention.

I’m texting my youngest later, who is attending university in DC… ‘If you are participating in the #ShutDownDC nonsense there will be no care packages coming your way for two months.”

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Bit of a chill in it today. Global warming me arse!!!!!

notobtuse wrote: »
    I’m texting my youngest later, who is attending university in DC… ‘If you are participating in the #ShutDownDC nonsense there will be no care packages coming your way for two months.”

Madlad

Good point, I've read that has a higher contribution to our co2 than our fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Boggles wrote: »
    Well that's better than Science.

:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, most grannies knew their sh1t back then and were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Keyzer wrote: »
    In all seriousness, most grannies knew their sh1t back then and were right.

No they didn't.

And that Granny in particular was talking complete bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Why are you pretty sure ocean pollution, specifically the plastic in the ocean referred to by the previous poster, is causing the earth to over heat?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Why are you pretty sure ocean pollution, specifically the plastic in the ocean referred to by the previous poster, is causing the earth to over heat?

Sorry what I meant was C02 increases is causing problems for the ocean

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/presspacs/2012/acs-presspac-october-24-2012/carbon-dioxide-from-water-pollution-as-well-as-air-pollution-may-adversely-impact-oceans.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

nthclare wrote: »
    Scaremongering for more taxes.

Taxes for the minions and a bucket load of money for the people who champion it.
    quokula wrote: »
    Climate change is a real issue with much larger consequences, and we have the ability to take action and solve it, but so far we've failed to do so.

Why are you wasting your time posting on boards.ie if you have a solution to climate change? Your Nobel prize and a billionaire euro fortune awaits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

NIMAN wrote: »
    There is one thing guaranteed, it's going to cost us more.

There's money to be made out of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭NaFirinne

Thing is Armageddon is eventually going to come anyways. And likely in a way that man can't do diddly squat to avoid. So I suppose what' the next thing we can pump money into.

I'd prefer seeing an international scheme to convert desert area's back into farmlands, forests and proper nature reserves.

If something did happen that wiped out humanity, would the planet and rest of nature not actually be better off.

Would the universe even notice?

Do we even realize in the greater scheme of things how inconsequential we actually are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Have to say I find it all creepy. Rows of people with their arms crossed over their chests chanting hysterically. Seems the people need a religion after all. As someone smarter than me said half the world use the same amou t of energy in a day as these peoples fridges. And yet here we have the death cult devotes frothing in the streets and going home afterwards feeling high on the hallelujahs. Probably wondering why their kids are anxious and depressed too.
    Had to laugh when I heard on the radio this morning that Leo is going to tell the UN that all carbon tax money in Ireland is going to be ring fenced from next year to 'fight' climate change. Is climate a goon he is gonna give back handers to stop it changing? Or is he going to stick wads of cash in climates g string to keep her happy?

Disturbing millenarian vibes off the whole thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

And our biggest problem is cattle farting, give me a break.
    There was a lot more animals farting year's ago than there is now, but yet they're peddling that rubbish.

Sure remember that theory about a butterfly flapping it's wings has the potential to create adverse weather conditions....

Those polixtitins will get another tenner a week off ye all in the next budget, another tenner the following year.
    So even a measly wage increase will basically disappear...
    You'll be all down 520 a year this year and 1040 the following year....

The emperor's New clothes again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Zorya wrote: »
    Have to say I find it all creepy. Rows of people with their arms crossed over their chests chanting hysterically. Seems the people need a religion after all. As someone smarter than me said half the world use the same amou t of energy in a day as these peoples fridges. And yet here we have the death cult devotes frothing in the streets and going home afterwards feeling high on the hallelujahs. Probably wondering why their kids are anxious and depressed too.
    Had to laugh when I heard on the radio this morning that Leo is going to tell the UN that all carbon tax money in Ireland is going to be ring fenced from next year to 'fight' climate change. Is climate a goon he is gonna give back handers to stop it changing? Or is he going to stick wads of cash in climates g string to keep her happy?

Disturbing millenarian vibes off the whole thing.

Maybe it's time to lay off the acid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Boggles wrote: »
    No they didn't.

And that Granny in particular was talking complete bollix.

Not necessarily,she said the scare mongering was a load of bollocks.
    Because she had the intelligence to realise that they'll come up with a simple solution by just eliminating CFCs from aerosols...

How could she be talking absolute bollocks ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Natural technological evolution will solve the issue.

China has just gone solar cost parity with coal, and have met their solar 2020 targets 3yrs early.
    Last year solar produced 130 gigawatts for them.

Still some way to go, but they're leaders in this area, once they cut back on coal plants things will improve further.

Ireland missing it's own tree planting targets by something like 40,000hectares, then shortly after declaring an emergency is curious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

nthclare wrote: »
    And our biggest problem is cattle farting, give me a break.
    There was a lot more animals farting year's ago than there is now, but yet they're peddling that rubbish.

Sure remember that theory about a butterfly flapping it's wings has the potential to create adverse weather conditions....

Those polixtitins will get another tenner a week off ye all in the next budget, another tenner the following year.
    So even a measly wage increase will basically disappear...
    You'll be all down 520 a year this year and 1040 the following year....

The emperor's New clothes again
    I think you misunderstood that one

Advertisement