Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can you buy worms?

Options
  • 23-09-2019 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I'm trying to buy a kilo or so of common earthworms to "seed" a load of top soil I've spread on my old desperate garden (I first killed off the weeds and residual bits of grass).
    I'm going to grow a new lawn from seed but am aware there were very few worms in the old garden and would like to get off to a better start
    Any idea where in county Kildare I can source some?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Soup Thief

Lumen wrote: »

Blimey! Thanks very much for the speedy help!
    Germany seems a long way to go for worms though - anyone know of anywhere in this country (if not this county)
    It used to be that you could just go to a local garden or fishing shop and they'd have a bucket of wrigglers... I'm getting old

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Blimey! Thanks very much for the speedy help!
    Germany seems a long way to go for worms though - anyone know of anywhere in this country (if not this county)
    It used to be that you could just go to a local garden or fishing shop and they'd have a bucket of wrigglers... I'm getting old

McCarthys in prosperous have a hunting and fishing section in store.The lads sell worms for fishing so id say they would supply you with as much as you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

Search eBay for tiger worms. That's where I get mine. No issues posting. They're UK based but I got mine shipped to Galway. Cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Soup Thief

Brilliant!
    Thanks for the tips everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Nearly sure the fishing tackle shop in Monasterevin supply worms ... nearly sure that’s where my nephew gets his when going to the barrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ask around for any neighbours with a compost bin. i've found worms by the handful in mine from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's plenty of places that supply worms for wormeries, just Google "composting worms Ireland".

For example http://www.irishworms.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Search eBay for tiger worms. That's where I get mine. No issues posting. They're UK based but I got mine shipped to Galway. Cheap enough.
    Alun wrote: »
    There's plenty of places that supply worms for wormeries, just Google "composting worms Ireland".

For example http://www.irishworms.com/

Composting worms (e.g. tiger worms) are not what you want in your soil.

What you want is Lumbricus terrestris, the "Common earthworm". The clue is in the title :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You can't just dump fishing worms in the garden. Often they are a foreign species bred for fishing bait and, beside being an alien species, often won't survive in our gardens.

Even if you get the native earthworm, the conditions in the soil have to be right for them and, if you have the right conditions, worms should recolonise the area naturally anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

You can't just dump fishing worms in the garden. Often they are a foreign species bred for fishing bait and, beside being an alien species, often won't survive in our gardens.

Even if you get the native earthworm, the conditions in the soil have to be right for them and, if you have the right conditions, worms should recolonise the area naturally anyway.

^^^^^^THIS!

Never had a garden that didn't have a vast increase in worms with good cultivation.

We have chickens so you might think they would eat worms and they do but the chicken run is absolutely stacked full of earth worms.

When we started here about 15 years ago the soil was incredibly poor but now its full of worms. We still suffer from issues due to overly good drainage but we no longer have a shortage of worms and I can remember thinking 15 years ago when we started digging the soil (old pastureland) there were no worms at all/

Advertisement