Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green & Reds Walrus Reveal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Green&Red wrote: »
    23rd Place - White Zombie, Thunderkiss 65!

My ears

I thought this was the worst out of the 115 songs submitted

Im not even sorry
    Banjo

This was my pick for ages! Love me some white zombie :D

Yay, glad you enjoyed it G&R (and relieved that I was wrong about my guess! :p ) Sharon Van Etten is definitely worth checking out, her latest album Remind Me Tomorrow, which was released this year and has "Seventeen" on it, is actually a pretty good starting point; it has a bit more electronics/synth than her previous work and is perhaps a bit more commercial sounding (while still being authentic/not a sellout!) Her earlier albums are a bit more introspective, led either by guitar or piano.

Some suggestions for further tunes:
    If you want something upbeat and rocky, try "Serpents" or "Comeback Kid"
    For moody synthpop, go with "Jupiter 4" (another one I could have used here!)
    For a more acoustic, singer-songwriter vibe, "Give Out" is one of my favourites.
    For a sombre, beautiful piano piece go with "I Know" (wonderful live performance on Jools Holland here.)
    And if you want a singalong chorus, there's "Every Time The Sun Comes Up" (not one of my favourites but it seems to be one of her most popular ones)

She also does some really nice covers; Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize?", Sinéad O'Connor's "Black Boys on Mopeds" and Skeeter Davis's "The End of the World" (the latter especially really suits her voice).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Just finishing up a bit of work and I’ll be with ye

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Green&Red wrote:
    Just finishing up a bit of work and I’ll be with ye

Take your time, I can't see my entry for this one doing better than I did last night so let me savour it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Waiting so see if I can come 19th four times in a row :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Next up a big shock

21st Place - Radiohead - 2+2=5

These peaked long before this

This just sounded like one of the songs off pablo honey or OK computer that you'd have skipped past to get to the good songs. Not a patch on their earlier stuff
    Electric Nitwit
    falls back towards the pack

Just catching up, obviously I disagree with everything you say :p
    I love this song

This was the opener to the first album after the Kid A/Amnesiac set and was such an exhilarating, visceral burst after their relative calm. It's also become more relevant these days if anything, it's message being that politics goes to **** when people become detached from it

It's the Devil's way now,
    There is no way out,
    You can scream and you can shout,
    It is too late now
    Because you have not been
    Payin' attention...

- The title itself is a straight lift from 1984

As Homer alluded to, any argument that Radiohead peaked early just suggests you haven't given In Rainbows enough listens. And Hail to the Thief, which 2+2=5 is on, is bloated and needs cutting down to about 10 songs, but it would then rightfully be recognised as a classic too

So no regrets, it's an awesome tune.
    Luckily I know you'll make it up to me now when my name choice wins :p

I’m so depressed after last nights lack of love for Bob that I’m gonna have to book a holiday to cheer myself up.

I’m so depressed after last nights lack of love for Bob that I’m gonna have to book a holiday to cheer myself up.

Jamaica?

Pretzill wrote: »
    Jamaica?

Yea Mon

More like following Jamaican bobsleigh team and heading to the piste to go on the piste.

• Advertisement

Bob's a music god :)

Legend was my first proper album, I'd probably have picked that very song if we weren't including compilation albums

Bob's a music god :)

Legend was my first proper album, I'd probably have picked that very song if we weren't including compilation albums

Went to see the Wailers some years ago in Sligo of all places, they were so good (too late to see Bob but they did him justice) Get Up, Stand Up gave me goosepimples.

Went to see the Wailers some years ago in Sligo of all places, they were so good (too late to see Bob but they did him justice) Get Up, Stand Up gave me goosepimples.

Interesting, I've always assumed they'd be a bit of a let down. I'll have to keep an eye out to see if they're coming back

Interesting, I've always assumed they'd be a bit of a let down. I'll have to keep an eye out to see if they're coming back

It was about 15 or more years ago but I had the same expectations as you but by the end of it I was bouncing up and down with everyone else :)

Right enough whining about last nite, hopefully ye'll be as put out by tonite's scoring :pac::pac::pac:

12th Place - The Sisters Of Mercy-Nine While Nine

Yes I know this should be in the numbers category

*shrug

I liked this, good song

12 points for
    Reberetta

13th Place - Frank Black - Speedy Marie

This would have scored higher but it kinda loses it towards the end, still a good pixies song

13 points for
    Banjo

11th Place - Houndmouth - My cousin Greg

Another song I'd never heard, it reminds me of someone and I can't place them, its bugging me! But great tune in its own right

Good selection
    Mr Kingsley

14th Place - Eminem - Stan

This would have scored higher only I know it so well, great song

Sorry
    Necro

10th Place - Enter Shikari - Gandhi Mate, Gandhi

This is just noise, really, really bad noise, Mrs G&R asked "what is that sh!t" when I put it on in the kitchen
    And yet here we are, the more I listened the better it became, I laughed out loud at the "Gandhi mate, remember gandhi"

Brilliant pick, 10 points for
    Electric Nitwit

I would advise everyone to listen to this song

10th Place - Enter Shikari - Gandhi Mate, Gandhi

This is just noise, really, really bad noise, Mrs G&R asked "what is that sh!t" when I put it on in the kitchen
    And yet here we are, the more I listened the better it became, I laughed out loud at the "Gandhi mate, remember gandhi"

Brilliant pick, 10 points for
    Electric Nitwit

I would advise everyone to listen to this song

7a63cd40e0487f7aa213b4ac47446155.gif
    :p

I'll accept it being called noise, I'd accept people not liking it but I fücking love Enter Shikari. This isn't their best, but it is awesome

I saw them live recently and the gandhi drop was followed by "I'm actually very calm these days, I do yoga and everything"!

EDIT: might just chuck up a non-live version, it might be an easier introduction, maybe...

• Advertisement

15th Place - Spearmint-Julie Christie

Another solid entry, really enjoyed this, just a reflection of the songs around it that it ends with 15 points -
    Sheridan81

9th Place - DeclanO'Rourke - Sarah (Last night in a dream)

Toss of a coin between this and the 8th place entry, both songs I would know very well. This guy really dropped off after his debut album

9 points fo
    r MicksJaguar

Great choices Micks

16th Place - Roger Hodgeson - Along came Mary

Apart from the weird Queen Elizabeth bit at the start I enjoyed this, I enjoyed that too but just didn't see how it fitted.

Another thats unlucky to score this low cause I really liked it,
    Pretzill

8th Place - Josh Ritter - Kathleen

I submitted Josh Ritter for an earlier Walrus so its obvious I like him, love his voice
    8 points for Ectoplasm

It's almost 19th...but better. Yay - Roger liked his historical audio he has Churchill's famous speech at the beginning of Fools Overture great Supertramp track. I think there is a royal link here with the Mary or something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

It's almost 19th...but better. Yay - Roger liked his historical audio he has Churchill's famous speech at the beginning of Fools Overture great Supertramp track. I think there is a royal link here with the Mary or something.

Saw him live twice. He’s amazing! As always (with me), good choice.

Why don't the two of you get a room

17th Place - The Silver Jews - Smith & Jones forever

Still with songs that I enjoyed, never heard of these, I'd listen to more

17 points for
    Osh

• Advertisement

7th Place - Bat For Lashes - Daniel

Took me a while to decide how much I liked this, in the end I really liked it, stands up to repeated listening, wouldn't be out of place on the Drive soundtrack

Another good pick from
    Homer J Fong

Advertisement