Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas Cook Fleet

Options
  • 23-09-2019 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭

With the unfortunate demise of Thomas Cook I'm curious about the future of their fleet and what is likely to happen to them?

Are they owned outright or leased, would they be wanted by other airlines etc (if owned there sale may be complicated by matters arising out of their collapse and monies due to creditors etc).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

rivegauche wrote: »

One way to purchase them cheaper if he wants to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I wouldn't say he'd touch them, purely because they're Airbus.

Isn't using only 1 type of plane part of Ryanair's cost cutting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Wheety wrote: »

Ryanair is now a group which includes a Lauda, Buzz and Malta Air so there’s scope for Airbus ops going forward.

I wouldn’t say they’d be interested in Thomas Cook’s fleet though but not because it’s Airbus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

I'm fairly sure he was referring to the company as a dog rather than the fleet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

I imagine the fleet is too old for Ryanair to take any interest, would be quite counter to their whole model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Wheety wrote: »

Ryanair are looking to up their Lauda fleet to 20/25 airbus aircraft over the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭x567

codrulz wrote: »
    I imagine the fleet is too old for Ryanair to take any interest, would be quite counter to their whole model.

Maybe for Ryanair, but some of these don't look that old... http://jethros.org.uk/fleets/fleet_listings/thomas_cook_airlines_uk.htm

This is a report from BBC of a Bloomberg interview from May which I saw but I can't find at the moment.
    Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary was asked on Bloomberg TV whether he was interested in buying the airline of Thomas Cook.

"It's a dog, it's got some very old aircraft, all of which are leased," he said.

Let's take that as "no".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,690 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some of the 321s aren't too old. Nearly everything else across the grounded airlines ranges from getting on a bit to antique. The Condor fleet is even older!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This article says all but 3 aircraft are leased

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/thomas-cook-planes-repossessed/index.html

The ones owned will be treated like any asset of a liquidated company - sold to the highest bidder

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

LY-VEN is on its way to ACE ex BHX

It’s operated by Avion Express but is a TCA

I thought they were all impounded so how can it be flying??

Have Avion leased it from the liquidators?

Or had TCA leases it from Avion in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

vicwatson wrote: »
    LY-VEN is on its way to ACE ex BHX

It’s operated by Avion Express but is a TCA

I thought they were all impounded so how can it be flying??

Have Avion leased it from the liquidators?

Or had TCA leases it from Avion in the first place?

They were wet leased and not owned by Thomas Cook so not an asset. Same goes for the other airline operating for them (smartlynx?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Couple of years ago the industry was crying out for pilots. With the demise of WOW, Monarch and now Thomas Cook that is dumping a lot of Airbus drivers on to the open market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Couple of years ago the industry was crying out for pilots. With the demise of WOW, Monarch and now Thomas Cook that is dumping a lot of Airbus drivers on to the open market.

If the aircraft are getting snapped up it follows the pilots are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Nijmegen wrote: »
    If the aircraft are getting snapped up it follows the pilots are too.

But will the jobs necessarily be where the pilots are located?

That was raised by a former TC pilot on BBC Breakfast this morning

Difficult decisions for many if they’ve homes and families.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Would Aer Lingus be looking to take a few on board. Would they be interested in any of the fleet or is it wrong engine type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

IE 222 wrote: »
    Would Aer Lingus be looking to take a few on board. Would they be interested in any of the fleet or is it wrong engine type.

Doubtful any TCX pilots would be interested in a 5:3 pattern although with the NEO introduction which essentially means 2 days of Europe followed by a one night TA landing into day 5 of the 5:3 pattern it might appeal to commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I think he said the airline was a dog which says almost nothing about its fleet IMo.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I think he said the airline was a dog which says almost nothing about its fleet IMo.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111328090&postcount=10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Marcusm wrote: »

Their oldest was about 20 years old. Most are -211's which is the same as EI.

I read elsewhere that 3 of their fleet are owned the rest are leased. So unless there was some cheap lease deals going I couldnt see EI interested in any unless there was a desire for a spare for next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

IE 222 wrote: »
    Would Aer Lingus be looking to take a few on board.

Apparently they were badly burned after fast tracking several Monarch Airbus pilots in similar circumstances. TC candidates will probably have to apply and compete with everyone else when DEP recruitment next opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

LXFlyer wrote: »
    But will the jobs necessarily be where the pilots are located?

That was raised by a former TC pilot on BBC Breakfast this morning

Difficult decisions for many if they’ve homes and families.

Maybe so. Though TC has carried a pretty consistent and considerable number of pax on their hollybops each of the last few years, and someone is gonna pick up that slack in those markets and need the metal and the pilots to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

i'm half shocked they collapsed

I had to fly Jet2 (737) to ibiza recently and 92 of the passengers got a roast chicken dinner as they'd booked a package holiday. So our friends across the water obviously love the package holiday

I think anyone who is expensive will go and cheap will win

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Bazzy wrote: »
    i'm half shocked they collapsed

I had to fly Jet2 (737) to ibiza recently and 92 of the passengers got a roast chicken dinner as they'd booked a package holiday. So our friends across the water obviously love the package holiday

I think anyone who is expensive will go and cheap will win

Oh there’s still a good demand for package holidays, it can be very good value and convenient, all is included in the one price, no messing organising this and that separately, bags and transfers included, nothing to worry about really just arrive at the airport and you’re off.
    I’ve done Mexico one one with TUI and to be fair they were great. Couldn’t beat the value and very well looked after, there’s definitely a market for it, Thomas Cook didn’t go under from lack of demand, they were heavily indebted and poorly managed by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Locker10a wrote: »
    ...there’s definitely a market for it, Thomas Cook didn’t go under from lack of demand, they were heavily indebted and poorly managed by the looks of it.

Nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Looks like we can add the Aigle Azur fleet into this type of discussion now as well. Is it just me or is the amount of airlines failing over the last year unusually high?

Primera, Saratog, Cobalt, Small Planet, Privat, Germania, Skywork, VLM, FlyViking, DART, Flybmi, WOW, XL, Thomas Cook and now Aigle Azur gone in the last year or so (I've probably missed a few).

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

GM228 wrote: »
    Looks like we can add the Aigle Azur fleet into this type of discussion now as well. Is it just me or is the amount of airlines failing over the last year unusually high?

Primera, Saratog, Cobalt, Small Planet, Privat, Germania, Skywork, VLM, FlyViking, DART, Flybmi, WOW, XL, Thomas Cook and now Aigle Azur gone in the last year or so (I've probably missed a few).

Quite a lot now, it's the same in a industrys the larger you the less likely you are going to fail as you have loads of money to get even biggeror you just buy up everyone.

Examples include air plane makers we only have two big ones and then a few small ones around the place but they don't have the money to push on and take on the big boys as they will only undercut the smaller air plane maker to make sure they sell more planes and so on.

Who knows in 20 years time air bus and bowing could be the same company never say never

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/ryanair-in-talks-with-lessors-to-introduce-ex-thomas-461196/

Seems like Ryanair don't want to own them but are interested in leasing them for Lauda with no long term commitment.

• Advertisement

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/ryanair-in-talks-with-lessors-to-introduce-ex-thomas-461196/

Seems like Ryanair don't want to own them but are interested in leasing them for Lauda with no long term commitment.
    They leased three of them.
    https://www.aero.de/news-32929/Lauda-beschleunigt-Flottenausbau.html

"Mit drei weiteren Maschinen aus Thomas Cook-Beständen erhöht sich der Flottenbestand von Lauda am Standort Wien auf 19 Maschinen."

translates roughly as "with three further machines from the Thomas Cook Concern the number of planes in the Lauda fleet in Vienna increases to 19."

Advertisement