Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car & bike insurance with same insurer

Options
  • 23-09-2019 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

My question is this, just as an example, my car insurance is due for renewal on November 1st, my bike insurance renewal December 1st, if I stay with them for the car insurance policy what,I’d any, discretion have they to bring my bike policy forward to the same renewal date as the car? I’d rather do it this way and renew the tax and insurance all at once on everything to keep the dates the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can cancel your policy at anytime and then take out a new policy to match the dates. You'll get no refund or NCD for the year if you cancel with 1 month left, so if you've full NCD it'll cost you a months insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

The NCD cert is usually issued around 3/4 weeks before the expiry, I could claw it back that way as well perhaps?

The NCD cert is usually issued around 3/4 weeks before the expiry, I could claw it back that way as well perhaps?

No. That would be insurance fraud, the companies share data, and the few Euro saved is not worth it. They will ask for the cert and NCD letter back anyway.

Del2005 wrote: »
    No. That would be insurance fraud, the companies share data, and the few Euro saved is not worth it. They will ask for the cert and NCD letter back anyway.

It’s fraud start a policy earlier than the expiry date if switching companies and take the NCD with you?

It’s fraud start a policy earlier than the expiry date if switching companies and take the NCD with you?

It's fraud to use a years NCD if it's not valid.

If you have >5 years NCD it won't make a difference if you cancel. If you had say 3 years NCD when you took out the policy you'll still have 3 if you cancel part way through, you don't earn the NCD till the policy finishes.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's fraud to use a years NCD if it's not valid.

If you have >5 years NCD it won't make a difference if you cancel. If you had say 3 years NCD when you took out the policy you'll still have 3 if you cancel part way through, you don't earn the NCD till the policy finishes.

Interesting, i spoke to someone today who done this, they had no issues from the insurance company. Is the NCD cert not valid from when they issue it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement