Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best TV Show EVER - Boardsies Decide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Paddy223 wrote: »
    Prison Break is definitely worth a mention but felt it was dragged out in the end were as Breaking Bad was a perfect length.

The thing with prison break is the thing with so many other shows that don’t make the cut. Excellent first season, then the writers had to come up with the other seasons that just didn’t make any sense nor did they work. I’m voting on shows with solid seasons all the way through. When prison break was good it was great but it was a complete car crash of a tv show for everything after season one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »
    On the format peeps, do people like the first to X way of doing things or would you prefer a time limited one.

I don't mind doing it either way.

I'll be doing time limited matches from the quarter finals onwards at least for this one anyways, it's just the earlier rounds might move faster with first to eg: 5

There's a lot of interest! If you do first to X I think it could comfortably start higher than the war films did. Sometimes they flew by (but sometimes it stalled)

I think time limits could work better, but I accept that may make the early rounds last ages

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Paddy223

The thing with prison break is the thing with so many other shows that don’t make the cut. Excellent first season, then the writers had to come up with the other seasons that just didn’t make any sense nor did they work. I’m voting on shows with solid seasons all the way through. When prison break was good it was great but it was a complete car crash of a tv show for everything after season one.

Yeah I agree with ya there. What happens after season one can sometimes decide whether it's a great show or good show.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

On the format peeps, do people like the first to X way of doing things or would you prefer a time limited one.

I'll be doing time limited matches from the quarter finals onwards at least for this one anyways, it's just the earlier rounds might move faster with first to eg: 5

Certainly for the first, and maybe second round I think first to X is probably better, and usually quicker. If you end up with a huge number and have to run 128+, then I think you could get away without the requirement for a reason for the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Are we allowing Mini-Series?

or just sticking with regular TV series?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

First to fir the early matches anyways, going to be way too many matches to do it timed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Gah I've a problem too I've got two nominations just for Star Trek. It's one of those shows that I think the various series: Voyager, DS9, etc, etc. are very distinguishable. Different cast, captains, etc.

Thoughts on that?

Remouad wrote: »
    Are we allowing Mini-Series?

or just sticking with regular TV series?

Mini-series are permissible.

Gah I've a problem too I've got two nominations just for Star Trek. It's one of those shows that I think the various series: Voyager, DS9, etc, etc. are very distinguishable. Different cast, captains, etc.

Thoughts on that?

Star Trek has to be divided I think.
    But maybe they meant the original series...?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Thoughts on that?

My thoughts would be tha....

tenor.gif

• Advertisement

Star Trek has to be divided I think.
    But maybe they meant the original series...?

Nope, collective :cool:

Making my life so much easier lol

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thoughts on that?

Yeah, Star Trek needs to be separated. Unless it mentions a specific one I'd take that as the original series, which I very nearly included myself.

Making my life so much easier lol

Well that's just silly, you don't want anyone lumping Voyager and Enterprise in when considering it, clearly you want TNG considered on its own :p

Trigger wrote:
    My thoughts would be tha....

I don't even watch Star Trek believe it or not :o

Zaph wrote:
    Yeah, Star Trek needs to be separated. Unless it mentions a specific one I'd take that as the original series, which I very nearly included myself.

Ooh I like this suggestion. I'm going with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

You’ve 3 of my 5 in there.

I had:

Breaking bad
    Better call Saul
    The office (UK)
    Oz
    The wire.

I was debating on including BCS, because I really like it, really really like it, but gave it to BB as the parent series.

Frasier was one I came close to as well.

Ultimately Prison Break got the nod from me because I just remember the sheer enjoyment it gave me and the suspense of waiting a week between episodes was killer. Yeah it lost its way, but first season was phenomenal, and I enjoyed S2 a lot too, Fichtner a great introduction to the cast. Saw S5 last year, oh man it was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Ooh I like this suggestion. I'm going with this one.

Well that certainly focused my mind. Out with Star Trek in with Will and Grace!

Some David Attenborough is definitely needed too

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

I've my 5 in.

Tried not to think too much about it as I'd end up going round in circles.
    Happy with my choices... for now....

This is a very serious. I mean best TV series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Am I the only one who thought "Borg" when reading this line when referencing Star Trek :D nice unintended pun :)

One not mentioned by anyone on the thread so far which I have a lot of love for is The Shield. Michael Chiklis is amazing in it.

Someone's included The Angelus though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I was too hasty with my choices , feck it , but am not changing them now .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Thoughts on that?

The star Trek shows are independent series that span multiple seasons each. They should stand alone. Together they're a channel, not a show!

Blackadder is a single series spanning multiple time periods across a handful of seasons and a couple of specials but effectively following a single character. They should stand together.

Quantum leap is a series of stand alone episodes following a single soul but a myriad of focal characters. Each episode stands alone! Unless the submitter gives 500 words on how it was really about Al.

Marvel's Defenders is a collection of independent series that merge together and would be problematic except only daredevil and Jessica Jones S1 were any good so it won't come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I think a lot of people in the movie thread were voting on things they'd only seen and not considering the movie they didn't see... I abstained from a few rounds as I hadn't seen both movies or if I didn't particularly like or even remember them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

it's laminated ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Surely its McGyver

What that man could do with a match copper wire and a paper clip would stir anyones loins

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

khalessi wrote: »
    Surely its McGyver

What that man could do with a match copper wire and a paper clip would stir anyones loins

Then comes the real problem Original with Richard Dean Anderson or new with Lucas Till?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

oh ****, i forgot Stargate...

Advertisement