Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crash Repair / Panel beater out by King Johns Castle

• 23-09-2019 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

I used a crash repair place by King Johns Castle a good few times but the last time was 7 or 8 years ago - Maybe even 10. It was on Verdant Place - The road coming off Castle Street along the side of the Shannon across the road from King Johns Castle.

I can't remember the chaps name but he was excellent and very reasonable. Does anyone know if there is still a place down there and if there is, is it still the same chap that was there 10 years ago ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Ross Purcell is his name - still operating there, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Ya, he is still there.

Can’t find a website but he’s listed here:

http://www.shopforbusiness.net/CRASH-REPAIRS/Limerick/Limerick/Limerick-Crash-Repairs-

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

Does anybody know the mobile number for Forde crash repairs, off Athlunkard St?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Gone from there for quite a while now. Don't know if anyone from that business has reopened elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Gone from there for quite a while now. Don't know if anyone from that business has reopened elsewhere.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate you taking the time.

Would love to hear if the same chap opened up anywhere else....

If not.... any recommendations would be welcome. It's not really crash repair but an old Pajero that is a bit battered that I would like (for sentimental value) to restore to it's former glory.

• Advertisement

In fairness, from what you describe you have (and want done) it's just going to be a money pit. If the Pajero is as old as it sounds then Panels are going to be impossible (or expensive) to source.
    Most Body shops won't want it. Those that will take it will just beat out the Dents as close as possible....and use fillers to get a fairly decent looking finish.

This will only last a couple of years at best (assuming you don't touch anything, and crack the fillers :)).
    Usually a project like this would be taken on by a DIYer, who can afford to take their time, and spend less money, as they move along.
    I know it's not the answer you are looking for, but unfortunately it's the way things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

In fairness, from what you describe you have (and want done) it's just going to be a money pit. If the Pajero is as old as it sounds then Panels are going to be impossible (or expensive) to source.
    Most Body shops won't want it. Those that will take it will just beat out the Dents as close as possible....and use fillers to get a fairly decent looking finish.

This will only last a couple of years at best (assuming you don't touch anything, and crack the fillers :)).
    Usually a project like this would be taken on by a DIYer, who can afford to take their time, and spend less money, as they move along.
    I know it's not the answer you are looking for, but unfortunately it's the way things are.

Hi MG. I hear what you are saying, but it's not actually all that bad. I had a good look at it at the weekend and most of the panels are fairly straight. The worst of it is the drivers door that I kinda made shoite of before I parked it up about 2 years ago (reversing in the dark with the door open....!!!!) On top of that, the front bumper would probably need to be replaced and the bull bar is bent out of shape (don't ask) but in general it is not that bad. The rest of the panels are all fairly straight and mechanically, it is spot on.

Also, it's a 93.... so hopefully panels not too hard to come by

It could do with a good refurb on the inside alright. The dash etc are all intact but the floors/seats etc are all fairly destroyed from farming. But if I got the outside sorted, I would put it back on the road and I could tip away on the inside myself over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

BnB wrote: »
    Hi MG. I hear what you are saying, but it's not actually all that bad. I had a good look at it at the weekend and most of the panels are fairly straight. The worst of it is the drivers door that I kinda made shoite of before I parked it up about 2 years ago (reversing in the dark with the door open....!!!!) On top of that, the front bumper would probably need to be replaced and the bull bar is bent out of shape (don't ask) but in general it is not that bad. The rest of the panels are all fairly straight and mechanically, it is spot on.

Also, it's a 93.... so hopefully panels not too hard to come by

It could do with a good refurb on the inside alright. The dash etc are all intact but the floors/seats etc are all fairly destroyed from farming. But if I got the outside sorted, I would put it back on the road and I could tip away on the inside myself over time.

I think MG was referring to the place off Athlunkard St.

Ross Purcell is still operating opposite Kings Island Community Centre.

Your best option is to pick up the door and bumper yourself. Try partfinder.ie , and Google 4x4 breakers in Ireland.
    At least then it's just a matter of pricing the fitting and painting of these, along with fixing the smaller dents.
    TBH you will get lots of recommendations from anyone who ever had their car repaired....try all the smaller places and make sure you tell them it's NOT an Insurance Claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Your best option is to pick up the door and bumper yourself. Try partfinder.ie , and Google 4x4 breakers in Ireland.
    At least then it's just a matter of pricing the fitting and painting of these, along with fixing the smaller dents.
    TBH you will get lots of recommendations from anyone who ever had their car repaired....try all the smaller places and make sure you tell them it's NOT an Insurance Claim.

there's a fellow out the old dublin road that breaks jeeps and might have most of the panels,

not exactly sure where but somewhere across from mcgills or the roadstone tile factory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Munster 4x4 Spares.
    Ballyvarra, Lisnagry.
    Turn left after Annacotty Business Park.

Advertisement