Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda V Pavee Point

Options
  • 23-09-2019 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

The gardai boxed the Fire Service and raise 50k for Temple Street Children’s Hospital and the ARC Cancer Support Group. This should be commended...

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4572312/gardai-fire-fighters-e50000-charity-boxing-event/

However one of the garda does a piss take call out video You may have seen it online or WhatsApp ….- tbh was kinda cringe but in good faith and nothing terrible just a skit...
    And let us not forget - they raised 50k for sick kids....this is a good thing.

And yet our pals in Pavee Point make a fuss

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/outrage-garda-filmed-mocking-traveller-20133276
    Martin Collins, Co-Director of Traveller support group Pavee Point, told the Irish Mirror he is “appalled” at the videos.
    He said: “I have to say that I’m absolutely appalled at the behaviour of these people, who I understand some to be staff of the fire brigade and others to be members of An Garda Siochana.

and the good garda is now suspended for offending the perpetually offended.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/garda-suspended-following-video-which-reinforces-stereotypes-around-traveller-community-952519.html

This garda contributed to society in quite a meaningful way- WTF have Pavee Point ever done but take , take , take and their spokesman Martin Collins conveniently disappears when the hard questions about travellers are being asked.

For a macho culture they are sure able to whine like little bitches when it suits them.

As somebody who has spent time myself and my kids in Temple St , this has really pissed me off.
    This is authoritarian stuff over a bit of fun.

BTW fcuk the garda top brass too. Shower of w@ankers.

In case you didn't notice , I'm enraged about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

did the director of pavee point just basically admit that drunkenly slurring words and threatening people on video was part of traveller culture ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

paw patrol wrote: »
    The gardai boxed the Fire Service and raise 50k for Temple Street Children’s Hospital and the ARC Cancer Support Group. This should be commended...

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4572312/gardai-fire-fighters-e50000-charity-boxing-event/

However one of the garda does a piss take call out video You may have seen it online or WhatsApp ….- tbh was kinda cringe but in good faith and nothing terrible just a skit...
    And let us not forget - they raised 50k for sick kids....this is a good thing.

And yet our pals in Pavee Point make a fuss

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/outrage-garda-filmed-mocking-traveller-20133276

and the good garda is now suspended for offending the perpetually offended.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/garda-suspended-following-video-which-reinforces-stereotypes-around-traveller-community-952519.html

This garda contributed to society in quite a meaningful way- WTF have Pavee Point ever done but take , take , take and their spokesman Martin Collins conveniently disappears when the hard questions about travellers are being asked.

For a macho culture they are sure able to whine like little bitches when it suits them.

As somebody who has spent time myself and my kids in Temple St , this has really pissed me off.
    This is authoritarian stuff over a bit of fun.

BTW fcuk the garda top brass too. Shower of w@ankers.

In case you didn't notice , I'm enraged about this.

And here you are offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's strange how Pavee Point calls some people out on certain issues and ignores lots of other issues. Martin Collins should should be focusing on lots of other issues first.

I gave a quick look at the video at the weekend and it may be a little stupid more than anything but travellers aren't the only people who are allowed to do call out videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

This is a call out to all de sick kids, ya bucket of sh763.

Pavee Point will fight ya any time at tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I hope he just gets a slap on the wrist but the guards have been warned about doing silly things in 'uniform'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

cultural appropriation, boss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

pjohnson wrote: »
    And here you are offended.

I'm angry not offended.
    Nice Try though and thanks for your constructive point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It has to be stressed again that suspension is his reward for helping raise 50k for kids with cancer.

Pavee Point offer nothing to Irish society, settled or travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

It was clearly a satirical piece by two working frontline lads doing a fight for charity.

In those that are offended by it, well then its clearly more through the embarrassment of recognising themselves.

No need for that member of AGS to be suspended given the background and obvious satire.

Perhaps Pavee Point could do some charity work for Crumlin Children's Hospital etc than trying to tighten the distinctions between comedy and real life.

Pavee Point: Quick to condemn matters of trivial importance, deafeningly silent when barbaric practices like human slavery are brought to light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Pavee Point: Quick to condemn matters of trivial importance, deafeningly silent when barbaric practices like human slavery are brought to light.

sure martin collins wouldnt be a fan of gardai anyway
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/advocate-of-travellers-rights-gets-driving-ban-26405074.html

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/traveller-jailed-for-assault-and-death-threat-318405.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I wish I could care. Two groups that do feck all squabbling among themselves.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 Dodgy Lou

Get suspended because you mock their ****ty 'culture'...ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Paver Point can go and get fcuked shower "perpetual victims"

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

C U L T U R E B O S S
    U
    L
    T
    U
    R
    E

B
    O
    S
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Do you think Mr Collins or pavee point would be willing to make any comment on the fact that these calling out videos are an attempt of intimidation by members of the travelling community against others, and that the resulting "fights" are illegal.

So members of the travelling community engage in an illegal activity but that's ok to overlook , but if someone else performs a piece of comedy... It must be them at fault.

Disclosure: I was at the event on Friday, Conor McGregor was also there, are pavee point or Mr Collins also going to critical of him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Do you think Mr Collins or pavee point would be willing to make any comment on the fact that these calling out videos are an attempt of intimidation by members of the travelling community against others, and that the resulting "fights" are illegal.

So members of the travelling community engage in an illegal activity but that's ok to overlook , but if someone else performs a piece of comedy... It must be them at fault.

Disclosure: I was at the event on Friday, Conor McGregor was also there, are pavee point or Mr Collins also going to critical of him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Jesus, nobody show WWE to Martin Collins. They do call out videos all the time over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Where does such a fkin usesless organisation get its money from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Where does such a fkin usesless organisation get its money from?

A better question to ask is what they spend their money on, because the don’t publish any accounts online.

The video was a monumentally stupid thing for the Garda to do, he was wearing part of his uniform and it was about an event linked to his Job. He should have known better and will be reprimanded.

As for Pavee point I’ve no interest in their opinion on matters, they do good work I’m sure in some aspects but choose to roundly ignore the massive issues of the travelling community which affect the settled community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A better question to ask is what they spend their money on, because the don’t publish any accounts online.

The video was a monumentally stupid thing for the Garda to do, he was wearing part of his uniform and it was about an event linked to his Job. He should have known better and will be reprimanded.

As for Pavee point I’ve no interest in their opinion on matters, they do good work I’m sure in some aspects but choose to roundly ignore the massive issues of the travelling community which affect the settled community.

Yes, give the garda and fireman and medal and sack Martin Collins and reform Pavee Point.

Heres an idea.

Vote with your feet. Add a comment when donating to say you got the satire.

https://www.idonate.ie/fundraiser/11381144_fergal--mcdonagh-s-page.html

I listened to Martin Collins earlier on the radio, I was driving so not sure which station it was. Probably today fm.
    He was actually quite reasonable.
    He stated they are not looking for the guard to lose his job or anything like it. In fact, he said he doesn't believe there was anything malicious meant by the video.
    & he admitted that the bare knuckle fights are a major problem.

So, really very reasonable from pavee point

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

bubblypop wrote: »
    I listened to Martin Collins earlier on the radio, I was driving so not sure which station it was. Probably today fm.
    He was actually quite reasonable.
    He stated they are not looking for the guard to lose his job or anything like it. In fact, he said he doesn't believe there was anything malicious meant by the video.
    & he admitted that the bare knuckle fights are a major problem.

So, really very reasonable from pavee point

I heard it too, he was far from reasonable calling for disciplinary action against the people in the video.

People with responsible jobs who were doing their bit for a good cause, 2 things the pavees would know nothing about.

@ bubblypop. He said a lot more than that to the newspapers. The chap has been suspended. Somebody complained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

If travellers didn't make these stupid videos in the first place there would be nothing to satirise.

I heard it too, he was far from reasonable calling for disciplinary action against the people in the video.

People with responsible jobs who were doing their bit for a good cause, 2 things the pavees would know nothing about.

No, he didn't want any disciplinary action.
    He wanted an apology & for the guard to undergo some extra training
    We must have been listening to different shows.

The guard doesn't need to be sent on any training course.

It was a fundraising fight for charity between DFB vs AGS in Croke Park.

The videos are clearly satirical. Its pure poor victim mentality.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

bubblypop wrote: »
    No, he didn't want any disciplinary action.
    He wanted an apology & for the guard to undergo some extra training
    We must have been listening to different shows.

Apology for what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm pretty sure AGS already have issues getting any information or cooperation from Travelling community. They won't get anywhere with them making the videos making fun out of them. With stuff like that it's even less likely criminals among Travelers will be caught. Maybe they should be doing their jobs firs and leave the comedy to others. It seems any stupidity can be excused with but it's for charity.

Advertisement