Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda V Pavee Point

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure AGS already have issues getting any information or cooperation from Travelling community. They won't get anywhere with them making the videos making fun out of them. With stuff like that it's even less likely criminals among Travelers will be caught. Maybe they should be doing their jobs firs and leave the comedy to others. It seems any stupidity can be excused with but it's for charity.

Oh would you stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm pretty sure AGS already have issues getting any information or cooperation from Travelling community. They won't get anywhere with them making the videos making fun out of them. With stuff like that it's even less likely criminals among Travelers will be caught. Maybe they should be doing their jobs firs and leave the comedy to others. It seems any stupidity can be excused with but it's for charity.

Are you having a laugh, they never cooperate with the Guards anyway.

The Guards are doing ok without cooperation, they aren't the smartest lawbreakers out there hence the reason why so many of them get banged up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Don't think he did anything wrong. Call out videos are done by many boxers and MMA fighters.

Is cultural appropriation of a sport a thing now.

He should be commended for the money they raised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

If Pavee point are complaining then they are admitting that it is a piss take on their community. Funny though that at no point is the word traveller or any other choice names used to describe our ethnic minority used. I heard from a fireman that the fireman in the vides has asked to be charged if his firefighter colleague is. The Garda have said they don’t want to!!!!!!!!! They are just reacting to the ethnic minority’s outrage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I thought there was a bit of a difference between the two videos, the Garda one was definitely more explicitly 'impersonating' a traveller than a traveller callout video, than the fireman one

• Advertisement

The stupidity of what the Garda did while wearing part of the official uniform (I mean, sorry, but that was just plain ass dumb)- is far outweighed by the over the top response it has invoked - I’d hate to see the Garda in question fired for this, especially given the charity involved - hopefully common sense will prevail but enough of the “outrage” please Pavee Point- it was a bit of stupid humour- it took the mick out of those gombeens who you guys supposedly don’t like anyway- so get over yourselves and you’re bloody high-horse attitudes.

Will someone please think of the Childers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The Guards are doing ok without cooperation, they aren't the smartest lawbreakers out there hence the reason why so many of them get banged up.

Are they? We've had three thefts from either business or home. One the couldn't do anything because it was minors, the other one they asked us to visit a suspected thief and see if he has our items and see if we can get the back. And in case of the last one they were so busy trying to pin it on us that they ignored the bike a person who stole our van most likely left in the ditch and it was gone by the time they decided to look into it. I'm sure Quinn employees are also not that happy with their efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

did the director of pavee point just basically admit that drunkenly slurring words and threatening people on video was part of traveller culture ?

You mean like this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixFQUpLnr3E

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Are they? We've had three thefts from either business or home. One the couldn't do anything because it was minors, the other one they asked us to visit a suspected thief and see if he has our items and see if we can get the back. And in case of the last one they were so busy trying to pin it on us that they ignored the bike a person who stole our van most likely left in the ditch and it was gone by the time they decided to look into it. I'm sure Quinn employees are also not that happy with their efficiency.

I was talking about traveller criminals whom the Guards have quite a bit of success in catching so I'm not sure where you are going with this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I’m after reading this twice, and if I could understand it I’m fairly confident it has absolutely nothing to do with travellers, boxing, charity or has any relevance whatsoever to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Lots of them inside alright lad :-):D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Where does such a fkin usesless organisation get its money from?

Selling gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They NEVER cooperate with "outsiders" unless there's something in it for them, i.e. money.
    They play the rest of us for saps, we are worse to tolerate and accomodate their alternative lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

One of the best Irish TV series ever, didn't hear a squeak from Pavee point about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Funnily enough I haven't heard Martin Collins or Pavee Point condemning the actions of a certain group of people in Longford over the last while.

The media need to start asking them questions about incidents like this:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/major-garda-alert-as-feuding-gang-plans-to-carry-out-acid-attacks-inside-court-38523510.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

paw patrol wrote: »
    The gardai boxed the Fire Service and raise 50k for Temple Street Children’s Hospital and the ARC Cancer Support Group. This should be commended...

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4572312/gardai-fire-fighters-e50000-charity-boxing-event/

However one of the garda does a piss take call out video You may have seen it online or WhatsApp ….- tbh was kinda cringe but in good faith and nothing terrible just a skit...
    And let us not forget - they raised 50k for sick kids....this is a good thing.

And yet our pals in Pavee Point make a fuss

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/outrage-garda-filmed-mocking-traveller-20133276

and the good garda is now suspended for offending the perpetually offended.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/garda-suspended-following-video-which-reinforces-stereotypes-around-traveller-community-952519.html

This garda contributed to society in quite a meaningful way- WTF have Pavee Point ever done but take , take , take and their spokesman Martin Collins conveniently disappears when the hard questions about travellers are being asked.

For a macho culture they are sure able to whine like little bitches when it suits them.

As somebody who has spent time myself and my kids in Temple St , this has really pissed me off.
    This is authoritarian stuff over a bit of fun.

BTW fcuk the garda top brass too. Shower of w@ankers.

In case you didn't notice , I'm enraged about this.

That poor Garda will probably have his career destroyed now all because of Political Correctness.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,837 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Claire Byrne covering it tonight, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

That poor Garda will probably have his career destroyed now all because of Political Correctness.

I am not so sure, probably an attempt by the new boss to put his stamp on the organization but I doubt much more would happen considering the context spelt out in the first post. The rank and file wouldn't be to happy if it was the case.

The comments in the breaking news article are hilarious, the travellers talking about how its making their job harder. Making a holy show over this and having a guard suspended probably has made it harder, just like how they messed up on the houses in Tipp this is another own goal.

I hope if anything we start seeing a heavier hand taken by the guards, enforce the law regardless of culture and see how they like it then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

Calhoun wrote: »

I hope if anything we start seeing a heavier hand taken by the guards, enforce the law regardless of culture and see how they like it then.

I doubt it they are more likely to go after motorists who are just a bit over the speed limit than real criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There are a few issues here.

Firstly, should the Gardai make a satirical video lampooning an ethnic group? No.

Secondly, does the Traveller community have an issue with call-out videos? Absolutely yes.

Thirdly, is the record of the Traveller community in respect of contributing to charitable causes abysmal? Absolutely yes, as well.

So, what should happen? The Gardai should apologise for any unintentional offence, the relevant officer should go on a one-day training course, and Pavee Point should organise a Traveller fundraising effort for charitable causes, and not just themselves.

• Advertisement
    M

On Claire Byrne now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Haha Martin Collins always loves to throw in the big words he learned from the settled people to make him sound intelligent

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Im sure Drew Harris has more important things to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Just window dressing to placate PP and right on media. I wouldn't think it will destroy his prospects.

M

Lol, Claire showing Martin an actual callout video now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Would have been gas if they showed the shy*e in the bucket one lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Shocking PP telling drew Harris the course of action he should take.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

blanch152 wrote: »

Firstly, should the Gardai make a satirical video lampooning an ethnic group? No.

Secondly, does the Traveller community have an issue with call-out videos? Absolutely yes.

Thirdly, is the record of the Traveller community in respect of contributing to charitable causes abysmal? Absolutely yes, as well.

So, what should happen? The Gardai should apologise for any unintentional offence, the relevant officer should go on a one-day training course, and Pavee Point should organise a Traveller fundraising effort for charitable causes, and not just themselves.

I disagree, callout videos are not unique to travellers and they are not apart of their culture. They are actually something that paints them as a very misogynistic knuckle dragging community and if anything they should be condemning and distancing themselves from it.

I don't think the officer in questions has anything to apologies for, let alone a one day training course. I find it hilarious how quick we are to move to training classes when someone has been caught out with their wrong think regarding an ethnic group.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

blanch152 wrote: »

A training course for what, exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

All things considered the Garda and his fundraising are to be applauded.

However he should have showed a greater degree of judgement as regards the video.

That said the Pavee Point crowd while maybe slightly put out by it might have viewed it in a more wider context, maybe they could have put out a video lampooning the Gardai trying to take them off, have some fun with it rather than play the victim at all and any opportunity.

Advertisement