Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda V Pavee Point

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Lol, Claire showing Martin an actual callout video now.

To be fair, he condemned it in no uncertain terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Offensive or not the end of the video when he says two words impossible was hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Massive error in judgement of both Garda and fireman to put out the video.

That’s the kind of thing you send your friends on WhatsApp, not something you’d put out in the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

To be fair, he condemned it in no uncertain terms.

That he did, doubt travellers will take the hint though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

That he did, doubt travellers will take the hint though.

The imbeciles who participate in that sort of shite won't take the hint. But that's only a tiny percentage of Travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

sligojoek wrote: »
    A training course for what, exactly?

I would assume it will be a course to tell him how he is privileged and this poor ethnic group can do no wrong, its actually everyone else's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Calhoun wrote: »
    I would assume it will be a course to tell him how he is privileged and this poor ethnic group can do no wrong, its actually everyone else's fault.

And he'll be a new man the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I disagree, callout videos are not unique to travellers and they are not apart of their culture. They are actually something that paints them as a very misogynistic knuckle dragging community and if anything they should be condemning and distancing themselves from it.

I don't think the officer in questions has anything to apologies for, let alone a one day training course. I find it hilarious how quick we are to move to training classes when someone has been caught out with their wrong think regarding an ethnic group.

Yes, they are something that paints them as a very misogynistic knuckle dragging community and if anything they should be condemning and distancing themselves from it, but that is their problem.

The officer concerned showed a lack of awareness of what may cause offence. A short awareness-raising course will deal with that.

Ireland is changing, society is changing, what was acceptable 10 years ago is not acceptable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Charitable fundraising aside, no-one really comes out looking very well in this whole situation. But it seems like something everyone should be able to move on from with minimal fuss.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yes, they are something that paints them as a very misogynistic knuckle dragging community and if anything they should be condemning and distancing themselves from it, but that is their problem.

The officer concerned showed a lack of awareness of what may cause offence. A short awareness-raising course will deal with that.

Ireland is changing, society is changing, what was acceptable 10 years ago is not acceptable now.

So what if it causes them offence they should be embarrassed by it but they aren't. Its more a case of the big Guard is discriminating our community.

I would say yes it is changing but more from the point of certain groups of people trying to force viewpoints on others.

If this was a case of a law abiding community, engaging in a pastime that was legal and minding their own business, I would be right there along side you. However when you engage in feuds like these you shouldn't be put on a pedestal, it should be called out for how absurd it is.

• Advertisement

The imbeciles who participate in that sort of shite won't take the hint. But that's only a tiny percentage of Travellers.

The rest just let it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

He showed a lack of awareness of how he as a public servant might get in trouble for it and ironically it's up to the person that suspended him to ensure his crew are media savey in today's ultra pc world.

As for what is now acceptable in society, call-out videos should be higher up the ranks of what is not acceptable than call-out piss takes. In fact I'd say piss takes of are long overdue. The idea that piss takes aren't allowed but real ones are fine is ridiculous.

So what if it causes them offence they should be embarrassed by it but they aren't. Its more a case of the big Guard is discriminating our community.

I would say yes it is changing but more from the point of certain groups of people trying to force viewpoints on others.

If this was a case of a law abiding community, engaging in a pastime that was legal and minding their own business, I would be right there along side you. However when you engage in feuds like these you shouldn't be put on a pedestal, it should be called out for how absurd it is.

If some Gardai had put on blackface and mimicked a gang fight in Balbriggan, that wouldn't be right either.

It is not about whether or not Travellers put up call out videos, it is about labelling all of the community in that way.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't see anything positive in the Traveller culture at all, and nobody has ever given an example of positive aspects of Traveller culture, but the Gardai are the law officers of the country, and this video fell below standards we should expect from them. The fact that those standards are still higher than the standards of travellers who engage in bare-knuckle fighting is neither here nor there, those travellers are not gardai.

The rest just let it happen.

I don't even think its a case of letting them have it, its just the whole negative narrative the whole time they play into. Rather than spotlight the good the community do or the rich culture they say they have you only really see them or the organization that represents them make the news when its either negative or crying foul for being called out on their bad behaviour.

AllForIt wrote: »
    He showed a lack of awareness of how he as a public servant might get in trouble for it and ironically it's up to the person that suspended him to ensure his crew are media savey in today's ultra pc world.

As for what is now acceptable in society, call-out videos should be higher up the ranks of what is not acceptable than call-out piss takes. In fact I'd say piss takes of are long overdue. The idea that piss takes aren't allowed but real ones are fine is ridiculous.

Fully agree on call-out videos, but what if the Gardai did a piss-take of a Nigerian woman smuggling thousands of euros of goods through customs? The Garda shouldn't have done it, but the behaviour of the travelling community is completely wrong, and the faux outrage from Pavee Point is overdone.

However, two (or more) wrongs don't make a right.

I don't even think its a case of letting them have it, its just the whole negative narrative the whole time they play into. Rather than spotlight the good the community do or the rich culture they say they have you only really see them or the organization that represents them make the news when its either negative or crying foul for being called out on their bad behaviour.

I have yet to see any evidence of their rich culture.

The Furey Brothers? Yes, if they truly were travellers, but they were of the folk tradition, and nothing particularly ethnic traveller about their contribution to culture.

If some Gardai had put on blackface and mimicked a gang fight in Balbriggan, that wouldn't be right either.

It is not about whether or not Travellers put up call out videos, it is about labelling all of the community in that way.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't see anything positive in the Traveller culture at all, and nobody has ever given an example of positive aspects of Traveller culture, but the Gardai are the law officers of the country, and this video fell below standards we should expect from them. The fact that those standards are still higher than the standards of travellers who engage in bare-knuckle fighting is neither here nor there, those travellers are not gardai.

Hold on lets not straw man here for actual racism because I am not arguing that point and they are nowhere along the same lines.

Videos of group of men blatantly breaking the law and damaging the reputation of their community should be called out and have the piss taken out of them. Pavee point missed a big opportunity to do the same.

I agree with you we should have higher standards in or Guardai, but not from the point you are coming at. The reality is this the feuding and fighting is highly illegal and if we are going to come at them from any aspect then it should be this one. It should not be because this guard is now apparently a card carrying racist and needs sensitivity classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

AllForIt wrote: »
    Would have been gas if they showed the shy*e in the bucket one lol
    Or the boy of 8 been encouraged to drink a pint of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

F**k travellers and f**k the horses they rode in on.

That is all

I have yet to see any evidence of their rich culture.

The Furey Brothers? Yes, if they truly were travellers, but they were of the folk tradition, and nothing particularly ethnic traveller about their contribution to culture.

Personally I haven't seen it either but they say they have a rich culture and it would be better to give them an opportunity to express it in a decent way rather than the usual crap we get on TV which end up making them look really bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Will big culture boss lidl John Connors be in trouble for acting like a complete knacker in love hate now. ?

Personally I haven't seen it either but they say they have a rich culture and it would be better to give them an opportunity to express it in a decent way rather than the usual crap we get on TV which end up making them look really bad.

More culture in a carton of Yoplait these days.

Their problem is they don't call out bad behaviour in their own number.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

Massive error in judgement of both Garda and fireman to put out the video.

That’s the kind of thing you send your friends on WhatsApp, not something you’d put out in the public domain.

It was initially meant to be for a private WhatsApp group but it got leaked from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Strumms wrote: »
    That said the Pavee Point crowd while maybe slightly put out by it might have viewed it in a more wider context, maybe they could have put out a video lampooning the Gardai trying to take them off, have some fun with it rather than play the victim at all and any opportunity.

Martin Collins should've been clever and seen this as an opportunity. Why not counter-call out the Gardai and challenge one of theirs to a boxing match for charity? Maybe nominate and split monies between a "settled" charity and a traveller cause. That'd look great optics wise and could be seen as bridging communities.

Easier to moan and play the victim though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

There are a few issues here.

Firstly, should the Gardai make a satirical video lampooning an ethnic group? No.

IMHO The Garda in question was lampooning MacGregor and not an ethnic group

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

a silly but totally harmless video from both the fire man and the garda

but a disgraceful move by spineless and reactionary management (garda only)

just shows the support front line workers have from the management shills

nothing new from collins and pavee point , professionally offended criminal rights organisation funded by the taxpayer o how i detest them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Hope his career isn’t ruined, it was hilarious.
    If the travellers don’t like how they’re copied, they might address the behaviour they find embarrassing. Way to go punishing a decent contributing member of society but constantly deflect and excise criminal behavior and barbaric practices

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭oholly121

The good news here is one Garda got suspended so travelers have one less Garda to worry about when there our going about their “business”

What Martin Collins doesn’t realize is that every single person in this country knows what travelers are and what there up to there a drain on society and a leech on resources

If you would like confirmation on what people think look at Peter Casey and how he jumped in the polls when he made his comments

I’m sorry I’ve had nothing bud bad experiences with travelers I’ve heard nothing positive about them ever and now it seems they can even get a Garda suspended for let’s face it a bit of crack and as another poster says raised over 50k for kids

That Garda should be immediately reinstated and apologized to if the Gardai want to do something positive for relations that’s a step in the right direction

A disgrace what happened to that Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I wonder is Martin Collins appalled with the videos I seen on WhatsApp of travellers filming themselves with guns , threatening each other in a graveyard of all places. Or the one I seen last week of a gang of travellers smashing up a camp site in front of children , or the video I seen just before that of another gang of travellers driving a van through the front of someone's houses then setting it on fire. Travellers only have themselves to blame for way society views them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Give them a show of their own. It was one of the funniest videos I’ve seen. If pavee point are so concerned, they should be encouraging their own not to post videos like that online. They’re there for everyone to see, and I think the satirical one only shows them up for how stupid they are.
    If either the Garda or the fireman lose their jobs for that, then this country is ****ed. Gardai do a lot worse in uniform and have for years and they just get retired on fat salaries. This was for charity and totally different.

Advertisement