Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy German food in Dublin

• 23-09-2019 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Im planning a German food and drink night soon so im on the look out for anywhere that sells German food and snacks thats not at a ridiculous high price.

Usually Lidl and Aldi do promos at this time of year but nothing as of yet.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think you missed it in LIDl... was 2-3 weeks ago.
    Dont think ALDI do country based food specials.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think you missed it in LIDl... was 2-3 weeks ago.
    Dont think ALDI do country based food specials.

Balls! Wasn't expecting anything so early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Brot! https://krustbakery.ie/ Then just get selection of meat and Wurst from Lidl.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Brot! https://krustbakery.ie/ Then just get selection of meat and Wurst from Lidl.

Dunno why but i taught Krust was closed!

Do Lidl do German sausage all year around? Usually only see a selection of stuff during random promos.

Dunno why but i taught Krust was closed!

Do Lidl do German sausage all year around? Usually only see a selection of stuff during random promos.
    I think they do. I always see some in the cabinet in my local Lidl. Otherwise get cooked meats, maybe some cheese and of course Nutella!

• Advertisement

Ill go down in the morning and have a look. Catching the stuff in Lidl would of been a perfect start ffs :pac:

Ill go down in the morning and have a look. Catching the stuff in Lidl would of been a perfect start ffs :pac:

Not authentic but it is Polish week next week in LIDl so there will be dumplings and flavored sausages etc.

Say a prayer :pac:

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Not authentic but it is Polish week next week in LIDl so there will be dumplings and flavored sausages etc.
    Close enough. Most Central European stuff is very similar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Very little left in our Lidl, only Schweinehaxe there today.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Close enough. Most Central European stuff is very similar!

Actually it is Polish week this week in LIDL.
    Last week was France and before that Germanic.

There are Silesian sausages, am pretty sure Frederick the Great invaded there in the 18th century...

Also garlic sausage and dumplings with goose meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I would try a Polish shop. That's where I go when I need ingredients for German dishes. But it depends on what you're planning on making, really?

Got some sausages in lidl just there gonna try another one see can I get more! Can never have enough German sausage haha.

I'm just gonna keep it simple some German potato salad green beans dumplings maybe saukaurt if can find it anywhere.

Different kinds of pretzels should be found handy enough as well.

And you got the Perlenbacher XXL lager in LIDL I hope, the good one made in Germany...

And for the record, spotted these Frankfurters in ALDI today - seem to be part of regular stock:
    Classic-Frankfurters-A.jpg?o=EI108JDNx4P4VDMdpTVb3R9YT18j&V=VYfu&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

Ended up with a lot of sausage few different types so all good on that front.

I'll sort the beer day or two before hand that be easy part ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Any Polish or Eastern European shops will have sauerkraut in pouches or jars.

Any Polish or Eastern European shops will have sauerkraut in pouches or jars.

Lidl are doing pouches atm but sauerkraut in a pouch didn't exactly jump out at me! :p

To be honest i have only ever eaten it in Germany so i have no idea what its like over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lidl are doing pouches atm but sauerkraut in a pouch didn't exactly jump out at me! :p
    I think that was just a special for "German Week" a few weeks ago. I got some and it was fine, just about the right amount for two people. The jars they sometimes have in are way too big.

To be honest i have only ever eaten it in Germany so i have no idea what its like over here.

We use pouches all the time.
    Tend to go for the more "artisan" ones. Dearer but sauerkraut is very cheap anyway.
    Just don't forget that it needs cooking.

• Advertisement

:eek: That explains a lot...

For some reason, this is never stated on any packet or jars.
    I give it a quick rinse, throw it in a pot with water and a dash of white wine (optional). Less water than would cover it. Simmer for 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

For some reason, this is never stated on any packet or jars.
    I give it a quick rinse, throw it in a pot with water and a dash of white wine (optional). Less water than would cover it. Simmer for 20 minutes.

My mother would always add a pinch of sugar, and some cloves, too.

That said, you absolutely can eat it "raw", I used to love it as a salad. But if you want to eat it warm, you do need to cook it, not just heat it up.

Shenshen wrote: »

That said, you absolutely can eat it "raw", I used to love it as a salad. But if you want to eat it warm, you do need to cook it, not just heat it up.

That's good to know.
    I never understand why there is such a lack of instructions and every single pack of sauerkraut I've ever bought.

Apple is nice through it, too.

Advertisement