Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 storey v 2 storey extension

• 24-09-2019 7:44am

Hi

I am searching to buy a house and have pinned it down to 2 houses which would require extensions.

The one I am really looking at has a side entrance. The street has a mix of single and 2 storey extensions. Obviously there is a lot more cost associated with a 2 storey extension but I was wondering at what factor.

you would still require a roof, so it would be a matter of joining the original hip roof, floor joists, flooring, extra foundations, extra brickwork and extra windows. I was thinking if I am doing a single storey then would it just be better to try for the 2 storey and would it roughly be to a factor of 1.5?

I was also thinking to save on costs for the time being as budget would be an issue of making the ground level a garage, utility and toilet and convert at a later stage and this would save on a shed.

What would your thoughts be? I know I am simplifying here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There's a whole range of different factors to be considered aside from just construction cost.

- Would your extension require planning?
    - How much work would be required to the existing first floor layout to get access to the new rooms at the back, or is it just a case of making the existing rooms at the back bigger?
    - What is the existing roof construction? Easier to tie a new roof into a cut roof than a prefabricated truss roof
    - If you extend two storey, how much will that limit the light and solar gain on the ground floor?
    - How much space around do you have for scaffolding?

Yes, there is an economy of scale when it comes to building, as in twice the area doesn't always equate to twice the cost. But some of the other considerations might negate that cost saving. The most important aspect to consider first is, what are your actual needs? Do you need the first floor extension?

I did a single storey extension, although really i wanted a 2 storey one. Problems I faced were I didn't actually need an upstairs extension, it was more greed, and the whole layout of my upstairs would have to change, unless I just wanted to extend the back bedroom and bathroom (which, though not a bad idea as such, would be a bit overkill, I'd rather another room altogether).

What actually put me off going the 2 storey route was the need for planning permission. I wanted to blitz through it, cut corners where I felt I could, throw extra money at things i wanted to, change ideas, layout, etc. and just generally wing it and hope for the best. Probably tormented the builder but it was a good laugh and a great experience. With planning, it'd be very rigid, I believe, and i'd be waiting months for the planning to be approved, and I'm just too impatient.

Yeah dont think I really need it

Worried about the new regs now, having to bring up the whole house could be pricey

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yeah dont think I really need it

Worried about the new regs now, having to bring up the whole house could be pricey

Read the regs properly.
    Do t fall for the media news story spon that’s full of inaccuracies.

https://www.seai.ie/publications/TGD-L-2019-Dwellings_Energy-Show-2019-Presentation.pdf

Hi

I am searching to buy a house and have pinned it down to 2 houses which would require extensions.

The one I am really looking at has a side entrance. The street has a mix of single and 2 storey extensions. Obviously there is a lot more cost associated with a 2 storey extension but I was wondering at what factor.

you would still require a roof, so it would be a matter of joining the original hip roof, floor joists, flooring, extra foundations, extra brickwork and extra windows. I was thinking if I am doing a single storey then would it just be better to try for the 2 storey and would it roughly be to a factor of 1.5?

I was also thinking to save on costs for the time being as budget would be an issue of making the ground level a garage, utility and toilet and convert at a later stage and this would save on a shed.

What would your thoughts be? I know I am simplifying here.

For what it's worth, bought a house that had a garage to the side that was structurally unsound. We had a choice of demolishing and extending as a single storey or demolishing and rebuilding as a two-storey.

We went with the two-storey at a cost of 72k as opposed to 49k for the single storey. We were gutting the entire house so going with the two-storey and gaining a master bedroom, en suite and walk in wardrobe was a no brainer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement