Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling rain jacket help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Would you not be cold in midwinter with just a packable jacket?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Would you not be cold in midwinter with just a packable jacket?

Well I would have other gear on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Luckily I haven't had to use it too much, but this got me through a good chunk of the Tour De Kilkenny without getting too sweaty. It was only later in the day it got too hot, but I probably had too many layers at that stage even without it.

https://galibier.cc/product/tempest/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I actually have or have had all of the above . I'd go for a Galibier Tourmalet II which will just about fit in a jersey packet if rolled up small. The Castelli is decent but a different type of material to the Decathlon one - thicker and more rigid, possibly less breathable but more water proof. I'd really just see that Decathlon one as something for an unexpected shower if out on a weekend ride, it is quite light and thin but I wouldn't take it on a commute (although it is the lightest of all of the three). There was a guy selling the Castelli on the Adverts forum here a few weeks ago for around 30€ so worth checking there. Haven't used the Rapha at all tbh but it looks like it is well made and thicker / warmer than both.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I hope so! But a heavier jacket might make sense if you're on the bike for 3 hours a day. Packables also tend to flap in the wind.
    Anyway, I'm not sure the sale is still on but the Adverts section had a stock sale by Briando that had Squadra jackets going at €29. Might be worth checking it out and sending a pm or something.
    Snap - same sale on Adverts as CantGetNoSleep is on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I have the Rapha Core jacket and can’t fault it. Great jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Luckily I haven't had to use it too much, but this got me through a good chunk of the Tour De Kilkenny without getting too sweaty. It was only later in the day it got too hot, but I probably had too many layers at that stage even without it.

https://galibier.cc/product/tempest/

I have this jacket as well - it's quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Advertisement