Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry way Ultra

Options
  • 24-09-2019 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Competed this a few weeks ago, brill race and must be Irelands ultra greatest race,
    Did any body else do it, already looking forward to next year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

was it your second time to do it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Anybody heading to the Kingdom this w/end? I did the short version last year (Ultralite) in a torrential downpour but enjoyed it enough to give the Ultranite a go on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

no, thought long and hard about doing the lite, but decided against it after being in bits at the end of the slieve bloom half, dont have the mileage in the legs yet ( or the right kind of mileage i guess ) have a few friends in the different events, will be watching the tracker

how did you find the lite last year..

Last year the first hour or two was dry & then the rain increased to monsoon levels by the time I got to Kenmare. That long climb out on the old Kenmare Road was particularly soul destroying but once I got into the Killarney national park the rain started to ease & it was dry for the last hour or so of the trek.

Weather looks a lot better this year. The ultra started already this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Well done @opus Hope recovery has begun and that you had a good race.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

How'd it go @opus? The ground was fairly wet and sludgy this year!

The mud was epic! Tbh I wasn't feeling great at the start as I'd picked up a cold so decided to treat it as a long hike than anything else. Felt like giving up a few times if I'm honest but each time I talked myself out of it thankfully. Had some good chats along the way with some of the other people taking part, the night sections will stay in my memory for a long time as the weather was perfect & nothing (apart from the odd sheep) to disturb the silence.

Suspect the full ultra is beyond me but think I might volunteer next year as it's a great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

If you did the night you'll definitely be able for the full, good for you for sticking with it, makes it all the more satisfying at the end 🙌

Advertisement