Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Protests in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

topper75 wrote: »
    It is not about awareness, as everybody was aware of this issue quite a long time ago. It is buttering up people for meek acceptance of new taxes.

Aye. the news will hit you, then the Late Late and whatever Saturday night chatshow they have will deliver the sob stories to finish you off.

Meanwhile Winning Streak will be flogging new cars and be sending aul Grannies off to skiing holidays around the world, because they pushed the blue button.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

what?

you're literally agreeing with me!?
    i said it will affect the poor. i asked if you were middle class and you wouldnt answer, but now you are agreeing with me.

see, this is what happens when people can't think for themselves.
    you dont know how to feel do you.
    do you know what day of the week it is? (without being told)??

I was replying to the point that climate change is a middle class thing and the poor don't care about it.

Do keep up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

20Cent wrote: »
    I was replying to the point that climate change is a middle class thing and the poor don't care about it.

Do keep up.

i am keeping up. you just cant think full thoughts for yourself, and are coming across as being all over the place. your opinion can't stay on one point, because you are being manipulated by what you are reading on here, and hearing from your peers.

why dont you take a few little breaths for yourself there, and calm down and re-group your thinking, if you can.

i'll wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

buried wrote: »
    Couple of years time these kids will be told "sorry lads you wont be viable for a state pension because we have to pump that money into fighting climate change, but hey, this is what ye wanted so shut the f**k up because this is how it's going to get done"
    It's better that than be faced with spending their dotage fleeing war and famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

1) it is a middle class movement, poor people don't have the money to buy solar panels , ocean bracelets and all of the crap they peddle.
    2) poor people often cause more ecological problems due to the use of cheap detergents, more chemicals in food, more plastic packaging for food and older cars that are worse for the environment
    3) the taxes would impact them the most but its the middle classes championing those tax increases that don't see that.
    4) climate change deniers are more likely to be poor.

Sorry thats bollox, just an attempt to turn it into a class thing, classic alt right.

It’s widely accepted and reported that climate change activism is predominately a middle class pursuit.
    One possible explanation is higher levels of awareness among the college educated which is still, unfortunately a sector in which poorer sections of society are underrepresented.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Whatever. Point is made stronger when it disrupts something.

How many people do you reckon will be on strike tomorrow??

Every big change has had people moaning but society manages to go on.

Free the slaves that will ruin business.
    Ban kids from working I'll go bust.
    Etc

Every big change has had people moaning but society manages to go on.

Free the slaves that will ruin business.
    Ban kids from working I'll go bust.
    Etc

Yes things carry on as normal eventually, notwithstanding the million killed in the American Civil War and the fact that there are more child laborers today than there were when it was “banned”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    It's better that than be faced with spending their dotage fleeing war and famine.

No-one in Ireland will be fleeing war or famine in the future.

• Advertisement

How many people do you reckon will be on strike tomorrow??

Dunno.
    There will be lots of people moaning about it though.

Some people do.
    Others moan on the sideline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Dunno.

Some people do.
    Others laugh at them from the sideline.

FYP

Dunno.

Some people do.
    Others moan on the sideline.

Have you got your "I heart Greta" placard ready??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Two planets meet. The first one asks: "How are you?"
    "Not so well", the second answered "I've got the Homo Sapiens."
    "Don't worry," the other replied, "I had the same. That won't last long."

NIMAN wrote: »

There are already people in Ireland fleeing war and famine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

NIMAN wrote: »
    There is nothing guaranteeing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

The reason it gets to this level of back and forth is simply because your side will not accept a single post made by anyone who derails from the narrative that greta the great is saying.

Who is this "we" youre on about anyway? Can you read minds? You dont know how people really think. All ur little pals could be saying one thing and thinking another. You dont know. At least some people are coming on here, not just following the imposed narrative and saying things a bit different. Questioning things, asking stuff that is outside the box. That is what a discussion board is meant to be, a discussion.. not just people from one persuasion instantly trying to discredit different opinions.

Even the very fact that this is being argued about right now is proof of what i said above. You are only posting in a manner that is designed to shut down debate and not in a way that is considered or with any merit whatsoever.

Detrails from the narrative? - its not a little bedtime story mate, the information is based on science

We - refers to rational people who believe in science and want to test and build on what we know

Nothing wrong with questioning things, but your reasoning has to be based on a foundation not a hunch like yours.
    Hiv causes aids...the exact proof of this took time, but the evidence said it was highly likely, do u still disbelieve this based on trying to be different and questioning things?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Next recession is coming. No one will care about these protests then.

Just drove past a car with a CLIMATE STRIKE flyer in the back window.

It was a diesel Skoda.

The irony.

Looks like the protests are over. There was no reporting of any strikes last Friday on any news or social media that I saw. Nothing reported so far about any strikes or protests planned for this Friday.

The kids have signalled their virtue, back to normal now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Looks like the protests are over. There was no reporting of any strikes last Friday on any news or social media that I saw. Nothing reported so far about any strikes or protests planned for this Friday.

The kids have signalled their virtue, back to normal now.

It was scheduled for 20-27th, so one Friday or the other..

It was scheduled for 20-27th, so one Friday or the other..

Not according to Greta. She wants people out every Friday.

Not according to Greta. She wants people out every Friday.

She doesn't organise the strikes though does she?

She doesn't organise the strikes though does she?

Eh, yeah. Apparently she is the one that came up with the idea of the "Strike for Climate" and they are to take place on every Friday according to her Twitter

Eh, yeah. Apparently she is the one that came up with the idea of the "Strike for Climate" and they are to take place on every Friday according to her Twitter

Fridays for Future are what the strikes are organised as.. maybe learn a bit about it first before going on about kids virtue signalling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Three day weekend. Sweet.

Fridays for Future are what the strikes are organised as.. maybe learn a bit about it first before going on about kids virtue signalling

Yep, i'm the one that needs to learn. :rolleyes: ;)

School strike for climate

DescriptionThe school strike for the climate, also known variously as Fridays for Future, Youth for Climate, Climate Strike, Youth Strike 4 Climate, is an international movement of school students who take time off from class to participate in demonstrations to demand action to prevent further global warming and climate change. Wikipedia

Founder: Greta Thunberg

Yep, i'm the one that needs to learn. :rolleyes: ;)

School strike for climate

DescriptionThe school strike for the climate, also known variously as Fridays for Future, Youth for Climate, Climate Strike, Youth Strike 4 Climate, is an international movement of school students who take time off from class to participate in demonstrations to demand action to prevent further global warming and climate change. Wikipedia

Founder: Greta Thunberg

And the difference between a founder and the organisers is... ta da

And the difference between a founder and the organisers is... ta da

If kids need someone to "organise" them not going into school we may as well keep burning tyres because the future is fcuked anyway.

School strike for climate is a weekly thing. Seems like our little virtue signallers were only after the adulation. :pac::pac::pac: Back to school every Friday now, sure isn't the weather getting a bit bad.

• Advertisement

If kids need someone to "organise" them not going into school we may as well keep burning tyres because the future is fcuked anyway.

School strike for climate is a weekly thing. Seems like our little virtue signallers were only after the adulation. :pac::pac::pac: Back to school every Friday now, sure isn't the weather getting a bit bad.
    You know protests need to be organised to account for permissions for public spaces, emergency services, stages for speakers etc. Maybe you could learn a thing or two from the kids..

It's not a weekly thing, outside of perhaps a tiny minority of people. The protests have since about last Spring been organised as mass demonstrations worldwide every few months, usually on a Friday. That's what it is.

Advertisement