Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Protests in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You know protests need to be organised to account for permissions for public spaces, emergency services, stages for speakers etc. Maybe you could learn a thing or two from the kids..

It's not a weekly thing, outside of perhaps a tiny minority of people. The protests have since about last Spring been organised as mass demonstrations worldwide every few months, usually on a Friday. That's what it is.

You'll have to tell Greta that. Every week she talks about hoping to see everyone out again on Friday. It's a protest now? Was a strike when people asked why kids couldn't do it on a Saturday. You're talking yourself in circles here buddy. I've seen people on strike in my building, there were no stages, no emergency services.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You'll have to tell Greta that. Every week she talks about hoping to see everyone out again on Friday. It's a protest now? Was a strike when people asked why kids couldn't do it on a Saturday. You're talking yourself in circles here buddy. I've seen people on strike in my building, there were no stages, no emergency services.

You've really f*cking sussed those pesky kids out haven't you big man!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You know a strike is a form of protest

https://www.businessinsider.de/global-climate-strike-photos-show-protests-around-world-school-children-2019-9?r=US&IR=T

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/20/climate/global-climate-strike.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49767327

And did these striking people in your building go out on to the streets in their thousands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

lleti wrote: »
    Next recession is coming. No one will care about these protests then.

Next month.

Recession is actually good for the environment, the amount of Co2 pumped out during the last recession decreased a fair bit. It just shows us that we shouldn't be dictating the world based on economic booms.

• Advertisement

What school in Ireland has anything close to a thousand students? It’s grand, it was something cool to get a day off school. They’ll be on to the next funky cause now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Strikes are a form of withdrawal of labour and serve to produce concessions, generally accompanied by negotiations. These things are not strikes as there is no employment involved, they are protests.

What school in Ireland has anything close to a thousand students? It’s grand, it was something cool to get a day off school. They’ll be on to the next funky cause now.
    Biggest school has 1600 students. There are some around 1000 mark as well and lots in excess of 600 students.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Strikes are a form of withdrawal of labour and serve to produce concessions, generally accompanied by negotiations. These things are not strikes as there is no employment involved, they are protests.

Not everyone there is a student actually, depending on which 'protest/strike' you go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Not everyone there is a student actually, depending on which 'protest/strike' you go to.

im sure there is a handful of waitresses or cleaners or what have you but it doesn't really upset the entire demographic of these things.

• Advertisement

im sure there is a handful of waitresses or cleaners or what have you but it doesn't really upset the entire demographic of these things.

Im a teacher. I was there.

that actually explains a lot.

did you instill the fear of greta in your students ?

Probably but also a lot of academics and researchers (can personally vouch for this).. you know the people who actually know what's going on and study it for their living..unlike the people who spout their uninformed drivel here

that actually explains a lot.

did you instill the fear of greta in your students ?

Nope. And I dont teach in a regular school, private students. Music. But i took the time to go.

Nope. And I dont teach in a regular school, private students. Music. But i took the time to go.
    So you weren't on strike either? I think it's a misnomer. Why it was chosen I don't know. Perhaps labelling it a strike is to show it's a greater sacrifice. Anyone watching on would just see a protest.

Probably but also a lot of academics and researchers (can personally vouch for this).. you know the people who actually know what's going on and study it for their living..unlike the people who spout their uninformed drivel here
    Which suggests you are only tolerant of people you feel merit it or support your view. Not calling you out just noting it's a very common attitude on almost any topic these days regardless of where you stand on them.

Which suggests you are only tolerant of people you feel merit it or support your view. Not calling you out just noting it's a very common attitude on almost any topic these days regardless of where you stand on them.

If you were a professional in an area, would you trust the opinion of people who have just shown to you they have little or no idea of how a specific topic works, maybe just the basics, or colleagues who spend their lives studying and researching it? And that's being very generous to the crap you see posted here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

What a magnificent gesture. Almost as impressive as Bobby Sands going on a diet to achieve something or other back in 1983.

Biggest school has 1600 students. There are some around 1000 mark as well and lots in excess of 600 students.

Plenty of safe room within the grounds of Gorey Community School for a protest.

If you were a professional in an area, would you trust the opinion of people who have just shown to you they have little or no idea of how a specific topic works, maybe just the basics, or colleagues who spend their lives studying and researching it? And that's being very generous to the crap you see posted here

Being a professional in another area I show enormous patience with people who often have limited knowledge of it. What you do learn is that butting heads just hardens positions and people mostly don't care to be informed. What you don't do is insult them especially if it is something they claim to believe. Ultimately you accept that putting people straight is generally completely ineffective and you have to pick your fights.

• Advertisement

Being a professional in another area I show enormous patience with people who often have limited knowledge of it. What you do learn is that butting heads just hardens positions and people mostly don't care to be informed. What you don't do is insult them especially if it is something they claim to believe. Ultimately you accept that putting people straight is generally completely ineffective and you have to pick your fights.
    That approach hasn't worked very well so far though has it.. it's time to call a spade a spade before these idiots do any more damage

So you weren't on strike either? I think it's a misnomer. Why it was chosen I don't know. Perhaps labelling it a strike is to show it's a greater sacrifice. Anyone watching on would just see a protest.

No I just showed up to add to the numbers and see what was going on

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Anyone think its ironic that most kids are dropped to school these days in their parents car, particularly middle class areas, couldn't be bothered with walking, the bus or cycling and yet are out protesting against climate change?

Anyone think its ironic that most kids are dropped to school these days in their parents car particularly in middle class areas, couldn't be bothered with walking, the bus or cycling and yet are out protesting against climate change?

In fairness, they only protested once, no sign of them taking it seriously.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Well here's a suggestion to protesting schoolkids.

Take the bus, walk or cycle to school.
    Get off your phone, laptop or tablet in the evening, its using electricity.
    Stop watching so much TV, same as above.
    Cycle or walk most places.

You know, like your parents and grandparents did when they were your age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Any protests today?

Will they keep their attendances up in the rain during the winter?

Any protests today?

I think that was a one time thing, get a day off and take in the last of the summer sun. Can't see it happening in Ireland again until next September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Have you brainwashed all your class into believing 0.04% carbon in the atmosphere is affecting our climate.

Already saw two girls get out of an audi SQ7 with XRI signs by the shelbourne, 100% as I expected, an ego masturbation movement for bored rich kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Luxxis

Any protests today?

Use an old oil barrel and burn Baboon's to keep warm. Very environmentally friendly.

Advertisement