Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Protests in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Already saw two girls get out of an audi SQ7 with XRI signs by the shelbourne, 100% as I expected, an ego masturbation movement for bored rich kids

That's who they are an upper-middle-class death cult.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

That's who they are an upper-middle-class death cult.

Best reply yet!!!
    upper-middle-class death cult.
    There is a climate emergency.
    The small changes we make in our own lives won't make that much of a difference. It requires government and international level cooperation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

20Cent wrote: »
    Best reply yet!!!
    upper-middle-class death cult.
    There is a climate emergency.
    The small changes we make in our own lives won't make that much of a difference. It requires government and international level cooperation.

Whats the emergency??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Anyone out causing bother to anyone going or returning to work should be stopped there benefit's for today or any day they are at it. There not exactly looking for work on these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Glad to see a big filthy diesel generator powering their stage on merrion square. Cant wait to see how much litter is left behind too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Good that some people can take a week off with pay to disrupt other people trying to make a pound

Whats the emergency??

The climate emergency.
    Been in the news a bit lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The climate emergency.
    Been in the news a bit lately.

What specifically is the “emergency” bit?

splinter65 wrote: »
    What specifically is the “emergency” bit?

Not playing that game.
    If the scientists don't convince you nothing will.
    Climate deniars are either just being contrarian for the sake of it or willfully stupid at this stage.

Not playing that game.
    Climate deniars are either just being contrarian for the sake of it or willfully stupid at this stage.

So there is an “emergency”, you just can’t tell us what it is? Grand so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Whats the emergency??

If you werent roaring crying about it in every thread it might be believable you didnt know.

Or are you admiiting to not knowing what your crying about?

pjohnson wrote: »
    If you werent roaring crying about it in every thread it might be believable you didnt know.

Or are you admiiting to not knowing what your crying about?

Roaring crying? Hahaha. Do you need a degree in hyperbole to post here??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Roaring crying? Hahaha. Do you need a degree in hyperbole to post here??

Dear god no. Dont worry no degree's needed otherwise this thread would be very short.

Not playing that game.

I’m not a climate denier.
    If you say (you do say) that there’s an emergency then you must know what the emergency is.
    Or you’re exposing yourself as a drama junkie bull****ter.
    Are you a drama junkie bull****ter?
    The fact that for over 30 years scientists have been predicting natural calamities that have never come to pass renders the “emergency” dead in the water. The Maldives were supposed to be submerged in the ocean in 2018. Why are they not?

So there is an “emergency”, you just can’t tell us what it is? Grand so.

It’s a secret I think.

splinter65 wrote: »
    It’s a secret I think.

Maybe the sky is falling. I read a harrowing book about it years ago. No one would believe Chicken Little.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

I found the interviews with these narcissists protestors on RTE news last night hilarious, especially the Millennial who says she's ''been in Asia for 2 years but has come home because she feels she can do something useful''. So after 2 years of dossing about in Asia, probably after wasting taxpayer money on some pointless degree in gender studies or some such nonsense, she has now probably come home to doss about on the Dole as a part time slacktivist. The numbers should fall on Friday as the majority of them head off to the Post Office to collect their Dole payments.

Amazing how people make up backstory's for protesters that tick all their prejudice boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The 70's had these kind of idiotic cults as well.
    But at least they had LSD and other drugs as an excuse for their behaviour and thinking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Amazing how people make up backstory's for protesters that tick all their prejudice boxes.

Do tell, how I've made a prejudiced backstory? 2 years in Asia, no mention of what she'd been doing so basically doing nothing, possibly under the guise of finding herself/volunteering/holiday of a lifetime. Comes home and describes blocking traffic for a week as doing something useful.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Bored, soulless' 'deeply concerned' well off types looking for something to do before they fly off to Bali so the can boast about their wonderfulness in the Emrites first class lounge in Dubai to an Australian climate activist traveling in the opposite direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

From what can gather from a brief listen to the budget, the climate protesters (and anyone else) are about to get themselves carbon taxed to infinity.

Here's a really wild, totally 'out of the box' idea: plant some trees (lots of trees).

blueshade wrote: »
    Do tell, how I've made a prejudiced backstory? 2 years in Asia, no mention of what she'd been doing so basically doing nothing, possibly under the guise of finding herself/volunteering/holiday of a lifetime. Comes home and describes blocking traffic for a week as doing something useful.

You don't know what she was doing so you made up a backstory that suits your position that they are lazy, feckless people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭randd1

From what can gather from a brief listen to the budget, the climate protesters (and anyone else) are about to get themselves carbon taxed to infinity.

Here's a really wild, totally 'out of the box' idea: plant some trees (lots of trees).

Now now, common sense solutions have NO place in an internet forum.

What we need is over the top, hysterical ideas, like making the parents of every fourth child born murder and then eat their newborn, thus reducing the number of people on the planet and reducing the need for meat farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Where they come from is irrelevant. Pointless protests with no realistic endgame is enough to see what they are. That there are at most 500 of them speaks even larger volumes. They really are the worst type of protesters you can have fronting a cause you want people to embrace because their way is the only way.

Rich/middle class.
    Lazy
    Unemployed
    Too many
    Not enough
    No solutions
    Solutions too radical

All the same people.

Make yer minds up.

Rich/middle class.
    Lazy
    Unemployed
    Too many
    Not enough
    No solutions
    Solutions too radical

All the same people.

Make yer minds up.
    You seem to have a hangup about what people think of them. They are really just a sideshow intents on some form of disruption. The trouble is people will only put up with so much disruption before it starts to irritate them. In addition, they don't even have much support across any demographics bar 18-24 yr olds and that's not huge.
    In two days all they've done is close off two streets in Dublin and inconvenienced people going about their normal lives. That to me suggests they are bereft of any other ideas. In short, they are just a street protest group and protests rarely if ever achieve anything. Young Greta, for all the commentary about her, is at least running a campaign.

is_that_so wrote: »
    You seem to have a hangup about what people think of them. They are really just a sideshow intents on some form of disruption. The trouble is people will only put up with so much disruption before it starts to irritate them. In addition, they don't even have much support across any demographics bar 18-24 yr olds and that's not huge.
    In two days all they've done is close off two streets in Dublin and inconvenienced people going about their normal lives. That to me suggests they are bereft of any other ideas. In short, they are just a street protest group and protests rarely if ever achieve anything. Young Greta, for all the commentary about her, is at least running a campaign.

Here are the ideas: https://www.rebellionweek.com/demands

Found it in ten seconds.

Here are the ideas: https://www.rebellionweek.com/demands

Found it in ten seconds.
    Noteworthy that they chose demands and not say aspirations, beliefs or other similar less confrontational terms. I never said they didn't have any, I said they were not realistic. The emissions target is impossible and the citizens' assembly is a complete non-runner and I've no idea what that "just" thing means in actual policies. I doubt they do either. Do they know there are more provisions in the Budget for environmental issues?

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Noteworthy that they chose demands and not say aspirations, beliefs or other similar less confrontational terms. I never said they didn't have any, I said they were not realistic. The emissions target is impossible and the citizens' assembly is a complete non-runner and I've no idea what that "just" thing means in actual policies. I doubt they do either. Do they know there are more provisions in the Budget for environmental issues?

The official policy of the government is to make Ireland carbon-neutral by 2050. They want it sooner, not exactly a mad proposal.
    We had a citizens assembly worked pretty well got us same sex marriage and legal abortion. Just means fair.

Not very crazy demands really.

Advertisement