Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Protests in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,100 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    "Joe Public" doesn't care now but he certainly will when the effects of climate change kick in and we're careening towards extinction.

Also Josephine Public please.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

While I'm in favour of Ireland protesting and doing whatever it can I do realise it is like pissing in the ocean. A symbolic gesture and that's all. Get China, India and the US and Brazil to play ball and we

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Do people even realise what the problem actually is :confused: - global warming is only one of the symptoms of the problem, it is not the cause - we humans are the problem.

There's just too many of us and the situation has become unsustainable without damaging the planet at the same time.

If any other species of animal had caused environmental damage such as global warming, pollution of the seas with plastics, destruction of rain forests - we would have culled them ages ago.

The world's population needs to be reduced back to a sustainable level - this would be 2.5 billion, about what it was around 1950. It's currently three times that @ 7.5 billion approx. On that form it is at least set to double again in the next 60 years. One can see how, by just reducing carbon emissions, we may just wind up standing still with very little net effect. This doesn't mean we shouldn't try though.

railer201 wrote: »
    Do people even realise what the problem actually is :confused: - global warming is only one of the symptoms of the problem, it is not the cause - we humans are the problem.

There's just too many of us and the situation has become unsustainable without damaging the planet at the same time.

If any other species of animal had caused environmental damage such as global warming, pollution of the seas with plastics, destruction of rain forests - we would have culled them ages ago.

The world's population needs to be reduced back to a sustainable level - this would be 2.5 billion, about what it was around 1950. It's currently three times that @ 7.5 billion approx. On that form it is at least set to double again in the next 60 years. One can see how, by just reducing carbon emissions, we may just wind up standing still with very little net effect. This doesn't mean we shouldn't try though.

The projections I see are saying approx 9.8 billion in 2100, with a small decrease in Europe. Where did you get your figures from?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

People care but their own lives matter more. People want something to be done but expect others to do it or pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

defrule wrote: »
    People care but their own lives matter more. People want something to be done but expect others to do it or pay for it.
    These people need to wake up and realise that this is an issue that will effect all of us. Today's children will be living in a post-apocalyptic society when they're older if we don't act now.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Take away the indoctrinated kids and these climate nutters would have no big numbers at all. Joe public doesnt care and never will.

Joe Rogan doesn't care, yeah you're right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭hcf500

Yes, too many people. There needs to be tough measures put in place. Limit family size or if possible get young women to have voluntary hysterectomys. They could be given an allowance as compensation. I have literally just come up with this idea. That is the great thing about debate, it gets the mind working. What are the disadvantages? Also maybe abortions could be advertised and maybe offered at doctors offices when a woman confirms a pregnancy with them?

hcf500 wrote: »
    Yes, too many people. There needs to be tough measures put in place. Limit family size or if possible get young women to have voluntary hysterectomys. They could be given an allowance as compensation. I have literally just come up with this idea. That is the great thing about debate, it gets the mind working. What are the disadvantages? Also maybe abortions could be advertised and maybe offered at doctors offices when a woman confirms a pregnancy with them?

I think I have figured out what country you came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"Joe Public" doesn't care now but he certainly will when the effects of climate change kick in and we're careening towards extinction.

Exaggerate much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

The projections I see are saying approx 9.8 billion in 2100, with a small decrease in Europe. Where did you get your figures from?

I'm estimating on past form, 2.5 - 7.5 in the last 70 years. Even at your conservative 9.8 is an extra 2 billion on current levels and prompts the question why the projected slow down on past form ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

Or instead of putting it all on women how about telling men to keep it zipped or give them the snip?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I'll just leave this here .....

And then step back... slowly......

railer201 wrote: »
    I'm estimating on past form, 2.5 - 7.5 in the last 70 years. Even at your conservative 9.8 is an extra 2 billion on current levels and prompts the question why the projected slow down on past form ?

Examine Japan as an example of what happens in affluent societies.

Today's children will be living in a post-apocalyptic society when they're older if we don't act now.

No they won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

I think I have figured out what country you came from.
    Does the country name have the word troll in it?

golfball37 wrote: »
    Or instead of putting it all on women how about telling men to keep it zipped or give them the snip?

One man can impregnate 100 fertile women but 100 men cant impregnate 1 unfertile woman!

Maybe its time to stop medical care?
    Why are we keeping people alive so, if there's too many of us on the planet?

Maybe its time for a Utopia idea? The TV series.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Every town and city in Ireland needs to be shut down. ER are not doing enough

Christmas Day would be a good day for it.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Exaggerate much?
    It's not an exaggeration, it's the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

PC babies protest everything go back to school and college study and solve the problems instead of blaming others

Guy Person wrote: »

What a cop out! don't agree so must be a troll. I genuinely care about our planet and its future. There needs to be EXTREME action. Some people think that lax measures will suffice but they are wrong> some day the people whop don't take this treat seriously will look back and regret that they did not take action.

PC babies protest everything go back to school and college study and solve the problems instead of blaming others
    How do you expect people to solve the problems in college? Rattling test tubes and reading in a library isn't going to solve anything at this stage, we need extreme and swift measures from the elite and the policymakers to curtail our imminent spiral into extinction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Guy Person wrote: »

The clue is in his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

NIMAN wrote: »
    Exaggerate much?

Penny drop much?

Theres a major class action coming up in the high court in a few weeks. Lets see how quiet this thread gets when the vaccine manufacturer loses!

How do you expect people to solve the problems in college? Rattling test tubes and reading in a library isn't going to solve anything at this stage, we need extreme and swift measures from the elite and the policymakers to curtail our imminent spiral into extinction.

Climate Change courses are now being offered by universities. So they must not think the extinction is imminent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I was at Live Electric: Designing a Low Carbon Future in the Mansion House yesterday. Very impressive line-up of delegates from around the EU.

The CEO of the ESB was very forthright in his speech - climate change is happening, the ESB is the biggest polluter in the country, we need to move away from easy and cheap fossil fuels like coal and peat; renewables are great when the sun is shining or wind is blowing, no one wants to finance the gas plants that are needed when the sun stops shining or the wind stops blowing, we are moving towards a future when electricity is used to heat your home and power your car. So greater demands for electricity, and less reliable sources as we decarbonise. ESB leading the charge on that front with their investments in offshore wind.

He didn't mention the big N word. Nuclear. He did speculate that the world might have to do 'less with less'. Then you get into challenging the very fundamentals of our globalist and consumerist society.

Tough stuff, and big ideas needed. And possibly a world war.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

This not having kids to save the planet is such a red herring...whats needed is the education of the poor and poor pts of the world...population stagnates naturally..we actually need fresh new minds and iq to add ideas to getting out of this...especially if u live in a developed and educated country like Ireland.

• Advertisement

I was at Live Electric: Designing a Low Carbon Future in the Mansion House yesterday. Very impressive line-up of delegates from around the EU.

The CEO of the ESB was very forthright in his speech - climate change is happening, the ESB is the biggest polluter in the country, we need to move away from easy and cheap fossil fuels like coal and peat; renewables are great when the sun is shining or wind is blowing, no one wants to finance the gas plants that are needed when the sun stops shining or the wind stops blowing, we are moving towards a future when electricity is used to heat your home and power your car. So greater demands for electricity, and less reliable sources as we decarbonise. ESB leading the charge on that front with their investments in offshore wind.

He didn't mention the big N word. Nuclear. He did speculate that the world might have to do 'less with less'. Then you get into challenging the very fundamentals of our globalist and consumerist society.

Tough stuff, and big ideas needed. And possibly a world war.

You probably heard the stat that wind is now supplying 30% of our electricity. This has been achieved with no great fanfare. And renewables are just in their infancy now, and they are the way forward. A gradual process just like any other major human development in history.

Advertisement