Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Protests in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You probably heard the stat that wind is now supplying 30% of our electricity. This has been achieved with no great fanfare. And renewables are just in their infancy now, and they are the way forward. A gradual process just like any other major human development in history.

The big windmills that people don't want built anywhere near their houses or spoiling the appearance of the countryside?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod NoteMoved from After Hours to Current Affairs, please follow local guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

the alternative is to forget about all the nonsense you have been brainwashed to believe, then simply DO NOTHING.

why do nothing?

because, as you said yourself CLIMATE CHANGE IS UNSTOPPABLE.

if it's unstoppable, why would you want to bring attention to the world governments about the issue, when they will merely extract money from the already working poor to pay for NOTHING, and then the world ends anyway.

well?

what's the actual point of doing anything about "it"? when "it" is unstoppable anyway.

What is government intervention going to do?

Maybe it is unstoppable already,who knows, but it doesnt mean we should stop trying to make let the situation get even more out of hand. Its not a case of climate change happening or no climate change happening ,one or the other, its a progressive scale, the hotter the world gets , the more damaged the worlds eco systems become and worse effects there will be on human quality of life, the more we do now the less impact we will have to deal with in the future. but yeah maybe that future is already a very dark one regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You probably heard the stat that wind is now supplying 30% of our electricity. This has been achieved with no great fanfare. And renewables are just in their infancy now, and they are the way forward. A gradual process just like any other major human development in history.

I didn't hear that stat, but that's my ignorance on the topic.

I did get the idea from listening to other speakers that battery storage was once seen as a really good idea, but that it now involves mining massive amounts of lithium from Chile, Mongolia, and the Stans.

I formed my own consensus that the optimal future state for Ireland involved wind power, some small scale solar, battery at the edge of the grid, and a next generation nuclear power plant slapped right inside one of the old BnM bogs. And even then it would involve a more local and parochial society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Take away the indoctrinated kids and these climate nutters would have no big numbers at all. Joe public doesnt care and never will.

Yeah if you inconvenience Joe Public and offer no immediate material reward, he simply won't come along with you and you can expect to lose the next GE. It's basic politics 101 stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The fact that so many people are willing to turn a blind eye to the reality of climate change and hate on/abuse a young girl who has found the courage to do what the rest of us should have been doing long before now is worrying.

Climate Change is real and it’s happening almost before our eyes and I can’t understand why people are so reluctant to admit it. Fear maybe.

We’re destroying the planet but I believe it’s not too late to change if we start now. As David Attenborough said we have no more right to be on earth than any other creature but we are the only ones who can protect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭hcf500

The fact that so many people are willing to turn a blind eye to the reality of climate change and hate on/abuse a young girl who has found the courage to do what the rest of us should have been doing long before now is worrying.

Climate Change is real and it’s happening almost before our eyes and I can’t understand why people are so reluctant to admit it. Fear maybe.

We’re destroying the planet but I believe it’s not too late to change if we start now. As David Attenborough said we have no more right to be on earth than any other creature but we are the only ones who can protect it.

What kind of a bully would pick on a child with aspergers? Shame on them

hcf500 wrote: »
    I know its a small country but think of the negative effect that all those years of no abortion is having on the climate now.

What about all the crims who would have gotten hung by the neck if we didn't do the 'progressive Ireland' thing? I'm sure their farts add up. Not to mention the electricity bills in prisons with the 24/7 nintendos and Sky TV.
    But no, it's people who shouldn't have even been born because they are not as special as you. They are an issue clearly.

The kids of Fatima (who are innocent and never did anyone harm) have asked you to repent and return to the church. How can you look at yourself in the mirror?!:eek:

That trick is old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

This is exactly why this particular child was chosen.

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    The kids of Fatima (who are innocent and never did anyone harm) have asked you to repent and return to the church. How can you look at yourself in the mirror?!:eek:

That trick is old.

DOUBLE STANDARDS! When it was brought to light that a bunch of catholic kids intimidated a Native American army vet, the right cried about them only being kids! But it is fine for them to pick on Greta is it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What a cop out! don't agree so must be a troll. I genuinely care about our planet and its future. There needs to be EXTREME action. Some people think that lax measures will suffice but they are wrong> some day the people whop don't take this treat seriously will look back and regret that they did not take action.

The bottom line is that the people don't want to pay for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

DOUBLE STANDARDS! When it was brought to light that a bunch of catholic kids intimidated a Native American army vet, the right cried about them only being kids! But it is fine for them to pick on Greta is it

It was never brought to light at all. Quit your spoofing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    "Joe Public" doesn't care now but he certainly will when the effects of climate change kick in and we're careening towards extinction.

good riddance.
    most people are fvcking cvnts anyway, so BYE! :)

These people need to wake up and realise that this is an issue that will effect all of us. Today's children will be living in a post-apocalyptic society when they're older if we don't act now.

when does this fantasy sc-fi series begin on the telly?
    sounds good - maybe a bit like the Walking dead or mad max though...

"post apocalyptic world" REALLY? today's children will be there? :pac::pac:

rrrrrrrrriiiiight. :confused:

What a cop out! don't agree so must be a troll. I genuinely care about our planet and its future. There needs to be EXTREME action. Some people think that lax measures will suffice but they are wrong> some day the people whop don't take this treat seriously will look back and regret that they did not take action.

no no, what's happened here is you have idolised a so-called "child" activist and you want to appease your own guilt for being part of the very thing you are de-crying by posting rubbish on the internet.

feel better?
    you didnt save the planet, and you wont save the planet.
    nobody will.

whatever happens happens.

i dont care about the future of kids that arent mine.

This thread has turned to BS. Can a mod close it down please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

This thread has turned to BS. Can a mod close it down please

Why?

You don’t like people disagreeing with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

These people need to wake up and realise that this is an issue that will effect all of us. Today's children will be living in a post-apocalyptic society when they're older if we don't act now.
    Put an actual cost on it for each person.

lola85 wrote: »
    Why?

You don’t like people disagreeing with you?

You havnt disagreed with anything . All you have done is mock people for caring about the destruction being done to the environment, do you disagree that this is happening to our planet or have anything to say about it beyond complete indifference? thats not even having an opinion, its just being a huge whinge bag because peoples concern for this issue might impact your daily life

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    Maybe it is unstoppable already,who knows, but it doesnt mean we should stop trying to make let the situation get even more out of hand. Its not a case of climate change happening or no climate change happening ,one or the other, its a progressive scale, the hotter the world gets , the more damaged the worlds eco systems become and worse effects there will be on human quality of life, the more we do now the less impact we will have to deal with in the future. but yeah maybe that future is already a very dark one regardless

yeah that's all well and good, but what about now, like today?
    the way people are going on about this , you would swear the world we inhabit today is some beacon of utopia where everyone is content and living perfectly wonderful lives.

that's the 1%. that's who lives comfortably.
    who is the biggest and loudest group to decry Climate Change? the 1%.

why are they the loudest, because they dont want to have to pay the price for their western lifestyles. they want the existing poor to pay the price by kicking the ladder from under them so that they can stay rich and the poor can stay hidden away and not have a chance to even have a taste of the life that these people have.

it's sick.

it's even sicker that supposedly sane normal people are falling for this bullsh!t hook line and sinker.

You havnt disagreed with anything . All you have done is mock people for caring about the destruction being done to the environment, do you disagree that this is happening to our planet or have anything to say about it beyond complete indifference? thats not even having an opinion, its just being a huge whinge bag because peoples concern for this issue might impact your daily life

all you seem to want to do is make people agree with your frankly disgusting viewpoint.

climate change solution = abortion/murder ???

wtf sort of swedish mad sh!t is that!?

Yeah call me ageist, but I wasn't particularly down with taking policy directions from them either. Ultimately there are parents behind them all - whom I hold fully responsible.

all you seem to want to do is make people agree with your frankly disgusting viewpoint.

climate change solution = abortion/murder ???

wtf sort of swedish mad sh!t is that!?
    Perhaps you could at least direct the argument to the poster who actually said that, because it certainly wasnt me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Climate change is not unstoppable. We need tough measures. The Green New Deal in states need to be implemented as soon as possible. That would have a large effect. Plane travel needs to be cut down. The biggest problem is children. There are far too many being produced. There should be limits on family size. The farming system needs a major overhaul too.

Do you actually hear yourself? Far too many children being produced?? Jesus you should have been the sperm that was swallowed in a blowjob...f'sake

Do you actually hear yourself? Far too many children being produced?? Jesus you should have been the sperm that was swallowed in a blowjob...f'sake

You know what, I was the sperm that was swallowed in a blowjob, but I was so determined, I found my way!

Perhaps you could at least direct the argument to the poster who actually said that, because it certainly wasnt me

yeah sorry it was meant for the OP.
    quoted the wrong person.

You know what, I was the sperm that was swallowed in a blowjob, but I was so determined, I found my way!

explains a lot actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

"Joe Public" doesn't care now but he certainly will when the effects of climate change kick in and we're careening towards extinction.

Good, I want to die and take all of you fcuk nuggets with me....Face it, you are all going to die eventually and then millions of years from now the Sun will expand and take this planet and others with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

People need to realise, the planet isn't going to be destroyed.
    It will survive, the inhabitants on it might not though.

Advertisement