Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Protests in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

wakka12 wrote: »
    Better than what it was before, no talk and no action. Talk has to come first at least

I don't know. It's all well and good showing up for a protest but I remain to be convinced that these people are willing to make much changes or sacrifices in their own daily lives. Just classic blame the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

wakka12 wrote: »
    The fact millions of people are now talking about her daily, for better or for worse, would prove that yes. Its at least getting people talking about a major environmental issue, that has thus far failed to become a conversation amongst general society despite efforts from plenty of other prominent figures in the scientific community to push for that to happen. So this petulant child has helped a lot
    i suppose its a question of momentnum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

this is the editorial line the state broadcaster is taking. this is a middle class movement, more in keeping with the Montrose set

"middle class movement" BS. Climate change effects the poor the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

20Cent wrote: »
    "middle class movement" BS. Climate change effects the poor the most.

1) it is a middle class movement, poor people don't have the money to buy solar panels , ocean bracelets and all of the crap they peddle.
    2) poor people often cause more ecological problems due to the use of cheap detergents, more chemicals in food, more plastic packaging for food and older cars that are worse for the environment
    3) the taxes would impact them the most but its the middle classes championing those tax increases that don't see that.
    4) climate change deniers are more likely to be poor.

1) it is a middle class movement, poor people don't have the money to buy solar panels , ocean bracelets and all of the crap they peddle.
    2) poor people often cause more ecological problems due to the use of cheap detergents, more chemicals in food, more plastic packaging for food and older cars that are worse for the environment
    3) the taxes would impact them the most but its the middle classes championing those tax increases that don't see that.
    4) climate change deniers are more likely to be poor.

Sorry thats bollox, just an attempt to turn it into a class thing, classic alt right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

I would really like to reduce my reliance on fossil fuels.

When I listen to the leader of the green party I don't really know what to think. To start his tone always comes across condescending like he's talking to a bunch of idiots. In fact it's him that sounds like an idiot because he never gets into the specifics of green party policies.

They also seem very focused on Dublin. I'm a country bumpkin and I don't intend on changing. I don't give a toss about megawatt commercial turbines. I'd like to know how I can go about setting up domestic solar panels and domestic wind turbines. I also want to be assured that I'm not going to get fleeced by a private operator in the process.

Granda why did your generation let the environment turn to sh1te? Well I felt that the people on RTE were condescending and Leonardo DiCaprio went to an awards ceremony on a plane.

Ok granda they were good reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭buried

Granda why did your generation let the environment turn to sh1te? Well I felt that the people on RTE were condescending and Leonardo DiCaprio went to an awards ceremony

It's not that the people on RTE are condescending, it's more a case that they are hypocritical morons, same for anyone that is claiming to be concerned about climate change
    while at the same time these same people cant live without electricity, internet, travel and basic first world living. And make no mistake, if you took any of those things away from these kids protesting they would end up losing their f**king minds. What are these kids solutions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 ub52

Have the protest on a school holiday
    See if the children are willing to give up there day off to protest, i believe they wont, it was just a excuse to skip school.

Carbon tax will rise the cost of diesel
    Delivery trucks will cost more to run
    Ever single item that you buy will rise in price to cover the extra fuel cost.
    The government will see see its tax revenue rise as VAT as a percentage of a now higher costing item
    The beauty of it is the government has not raised VAT yet it might as well have , so will not get backlash for raising "Taxes"
    They will BS about a carbon tax for the "childrens future, for the environment" the bleeding hearts will be backed into a corner and wont be able to criticise.
    You have got to admire the plan, using useful idiots to raise the government tax take, and these same idiot are the one demanding it so they wont complain when they are fleeced.
    Bravo to whoever came up with this plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭buried

Couple of years time these kids will be told "sorry lads you wont be viable for a state pension because we have to pump that money into fighting climate change, but hey, this is what ye wanted so shut the f**k up because this is how it's going to get done"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Two of the most effective and memorable political protests in recent memory have been the self immolation of Buddhist monks protesting against the Vietnam War and the deaths of Republican hunger strikers protesting for political status in the H blocks in the early 80s.
    These protests are the real deal and show absolute commitment and furthermore more had a long lasting impact.

Some middle class kids disrupting traffic is a temporary inconvenience and will achieve nothing.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 ub52

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Two of the most effective and memorable political protests in recent memory have been the self immolation of Buddhist monks protesting against the Vietnam War and the deaths of Republican hunger strikers protesting for political status in the H blocks in the early 80s.
    These protests are the real deal and show absolute commitment and furthermore more had a long lasting impact.

Some middle class kids disrupting traffic is a temporary inconvenience and will achieve nothing.

This protest needs its very own Emily Wilding Davison, some brain washed child will throw themselves under the wheels of a truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

ub52 wrote: »
    SafeSurfer wrote: »

This protest needs its very own Emily Wilding Davison, some brain washed child will throw themselves under the wheels of a truck.

“The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins.” ...

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Some of his videos:

Liberals Want Bigfoot Added to Endangered Species List
    Moronic Millennials Clueless About Princess Diana
    Liberals Want Mount Rushmore Torn Down for Being "White Supremacist" Monument.
    Liberals Want the White House Painted Brown, Because White is "Offensive" and Symbol of 'White Supremacy'

Does this sound like a serious person to you?
    Someone who is sincere and wants to educate and inform people.

No he's not he is publishing clickbait for right wingers to make money.
    Fair enough there seems to be a big market for it but he is definitely a grifter.

He has been featured on the History Channel's Decoded, Ancient Aliens, and America's Book of Secrets; Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura, Secret Societies of Hollywood on E! Channel, America Declassified on the Travel Channel, and is a frequent guest on Coast to Coast AM, The Alex Jones Show, and more. His viral videos have received more than 150 million views and have received international media attention.

Greta is target of the week for the slack jawed yokels to slag off. He age, looks, autism, etc the one thing they don't critique her on is the science.

The science of the world reaching a mass extinction tipping point in 10/11 years?? Pahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Her parents were against her doing it.
    Patronising to say she isn't genuine or is being manipulated

She started when she was 15. She is 16 now. If her parent we against it, why didn’t they say no?? She’s a child ffs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

You know when you just go for a drive for no reason, do you guys feel guilty when doing that?

I took a spin out on the motorway last night, going to a far off Lidl for the craic and really enjoyed it. Picked one in a place I'd never been to before so a bit of adventure and a taste of the unknown. It'd be a bit sad to always to go to the nearby one. Anyways, I suppose ER and the rest will be looking to clamp down on that :(

ub52 wrote: »
    Have the protest on a school holiday
    See if the children are willing to give up there day off to protest, i believe they wont, it was just a excuse to skip school.

Carbon tax will rise the cost of diesel
    Delivery trucks will cost more to run
    Ever single item that you buy will rise in price to cover the extra fuel cost.
    The government will see see its tax revenue rise as VAT as a percentage of a now higher costing item
    The beauty of it is the government has not raised VAT yet it might as well have , so will not get backlash for raising "Taxes"
    They will BS about a carbon tax for the "childrens future, for the environment" the bleeding hearts will be backed into a corner and wont be able to criticise.
    You have got to admire the plan, using useful idiots to raise the government tax take, and these same idiot are the one demanding it so they wont complain when they are fleeced.
    Bravo to whoever came up with this plan.

No point striking when on holidays that's not what a strike is.
    They won't be too happy if the environment is damaged beyond repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

Sorry thats bollox, just an attempt to turn it into a class thing, classic alt right.

are you "Middle Class"?

No point striking when on holidays that's not what a strike is.
    They won't be too happy if the environment is damaged beyond repair.

He said "protest". Are you playing knifey-spoony?

He said "protest". Are you playing knifey-spoony?

Whatever. Point is made stronger when it disrupts something.

• Advertisement

are you "Middle Class"?

I'm just class.

Trying to make it about class is pathetic.

I'm just class.

Trying to make it about class is pathetic.

nah, answer the question.

why is it pathetic?

you are basically crusading to tax the poor for a fantasy doomsday that wont happen.

the world wont end. people might die, but people die all the time.

why is nobody crusading for real things???????
    you know, genocides, human trafficking, child abuse, etc etc.

why has this absolute fantasy become such an issue?

because, the media and governments are using it as a smokescreen to distract the braindead masses while they get other policies passed under the radar and implement things that people wouldnt want, but are now too distracted by this bs to notice.

that's literally what "climate change" is.

Whatever. Point is made stronger when it disrupts something.

Meh, a bunch of kids hanging around the town centre on a weekday doesn't disrupt much. On a Saturday would deffo inconvenience more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You know when you just go for a drive for no reason, do you guys feel guilty when doing that?

I took a spin out on the motorway last night, going to a far off Lidl for the craic and really enjoyed it. Picked one in a place I'd never been to before so a bit of adventure and a taste of the unknown. It'd be a bit sad to always to go to the nearby one. Anyways, I suppose ER and the rest will be looking to clamp down on that :(

Good for you. But I doubt oil will be cheap forever, enjoy it while you can.

Good for you. But I doubt oil will be cheap forever, enjoy it while you can.

Well I was told that nearly twenty years ago. I remember all the Peak Oil bois in the early 2000s telling us that we'd be living in a Mad max world about now.

I either get the train or bus to work, so car usage is mostly just the odd run on the weekend. I need to get out more than the absolute necessary to keep my skills up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭alswearengen

Protest what exactly?

nah, answer the question.

why is it pathetic?

you are basically crusading to tax the poor for a fantasy doomsday that wont happen.

the world wont end. people might die, but people die all the time.

why is nobody crusading for real things???????
    you know, genocides, human trafficking, child abuse, etc etc.

why has this absolute fantasy become such an issue?

because, the media and governments are using it as a smokescreen to distract the braindead masses while they get other policies passed under the radar and implement things that people wouldnt want, but are now too distracted by this bs to notice.

that's literally what "climate change" is.

Poor people don't tend to own oil companies or airlines. They are also hardest hit by climate change. Loss of crops and land etc. I'm sure you'll be welcoming the climate change refugees.

Rich people have a habit of convincing working and middle class people that their problems are our problems.

It is a "real thing" and it's younger and next generation who will be damaged by it the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

buried wrote: »
    ...When the water protests were on and hundreds of thousands marched for that issue, RTE treated the story like 4 or 5 cranks were sitting outside the GPO and that was that.

It is easy to get frustrated with RTÉ when you expect news. The frustration lifts when you finally make the sad realisation that they are instead a propaganda organ.
    It is not about awareness, as everybody was aware of this issue quite a long time ago. It is buttering up people for meek acceptance of new taxes. The water protest was the opposite of course - resistance against new taxes. Hence the respective treatment for each campaign.
    WB Yokes wrote: »
    ...the hatred in her eyes. Cant be right for young girl to have that much hate in her heart. Shes been brainwashed I think the parents are scum tbh. No doubt they'll earn a few quid from all this.

Her parents are committed leftists. This is the politics of envy, of vitriol. This is the environment in which she was raised. She isn't this way by choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

buried wrote: »
    Oh I know SC, but that even makes it more weird and twisted, the same Montrose set that drive the big Audi's, have the big houses that need to be heated for 7 months here, drink the Nestle produced San Pellegrino sparkling water. The whole giddy showboat is completely and utterly disingenuous. And turns everyone else off the issue. Its really weird.

An insightful post.
    The dynamic is repeated across the western world - UK, France, the U.S. - all the same types pushing it and all the same hypocrisy to be witnessed.

• Advertisement

Poor people don't tend to own oil companies or airlines. They are also hardest hit by climate change. Loss of crops and land etc. I'm sure you'll be welcoming the climate change refugees.

Rich people have a habit of convincing working and middle class people that their problems are our problems.

It is a "real thing" and it's younger and next generation who will be damaged by it the most.

what?

you're literally agreeing with me!?
    i said it will affect the poor. i asked if you were middle class and you wouldnt answer, but now you are agreeing with me.

see, this is what happens when people can't think for themselves.
    you dont know how to feel do you.
    do you know what day of the week it is? (without being told)??

Advertisement