Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Cheese

• 24-09-2019 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hello All,
    Anyone know where I can buy american burger cheese slices here in Ireland for making burgers. When I live in London I used to be able to buy them in M&S but they don't seems to stock them in their Irish stores.

Thanks,

Johnny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

Wouldn't that just be a packet of cheap Easi-Single type cheese?

Or is it some sort of American speciality cheese?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

petros1980 wrote: »
    Wouldn't that just be a packet of cheap Easi-Single type cheese?

Or is it some sort of American speciality cheese?

I have tried that but Easi singles lack the flavor of american cheese slices.

Its the sort of cheese you get on your burgers in places like Five Guys. The right type of artificial processed flavor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

easi single mature (sounds like a dodgy personal ad) have a bit more flavour and are regularly on offer, they are right now. It is only a slight bit more flavour, I expected a lot more.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=289148849

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Monterey Jack slices can be got in SuperValu and in lidl every time their American week comes around.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/dairy-milk-eggs-null-monteray-jack-sliced/p-1571660000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,426 ✭✭✭✭L1011

vicwatson wrote: »
    Monterey Jack slices can be got in SuperValu and in lidl every time their American week comes around.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/dairy-milk-eggs-null-monteray-jack-sliced/p-1571660000

As far as I can tell, that's American cheese not American Cheese - there is a critical difference

American Cheese is processed to within an inch of its life and melts incredibly easily. Conventional sliced Monteray Jack won't. That looks like sliced cheese because of the irregular shape, not formed "slices".

You can tell for sure based on whether there's sodium citrate (in which case its processed melty) or not in the ingredients.

Lidl do processed Gouda/Emmenthal/Something Else formed "slices" but they only sort-of melt properly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Easi singles mature are the closest things you'll find in a shop. Making your own with sodium citrate isn't that hard (apart from hunting said salt down) and you can play with the flavour (and add chopped jalapenos...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

L1011 wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, that's American cheese not American Cheese - there is a critical difference

American Cheese is processed to within an inch of its life and melts incredibly easily. Conventional sliced Monteray Jack won't. That looks like sliced cheese because of the irregular shape, not formed "slices".

You can tell for sure based on whether there's sodium citrate (in which case its processed melty) or not in the ingredients.

Lidl do processed Gouda/Emmenthal/Something Else formed "slices" but they only sort-of melt properly.

I dunno the title just said American cheese. MJ is American afaik

Advertisement