Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After work drinks

Options
  • 24-09-2019 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Any recommendations for after work drinks (Friday) for a group of mixed ages, about 20 people? Preferably not too far away from Dublin 2 area and that do food platters.

Comments

Any recommendations for after work drinks (Friday) for a group of mixed ages, about 20 people? Preferably not too far away from Dublin 2 area and that do food platters.

The Barge

/thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

You can book a table on the roof garden of the marker hotel, really cool if you have a nice evening, great views of the city and no riff raff. The food is excellent.
    It is not a cheap night but all your employees will thank you for it and they will probably all turn up and make an effort if you do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

JW Sweetman is cheap and cheerful for that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭sweetie

BeerNut wrote: »
    JW Sweetman is cheap and cheerful for that sort of thing.

The name escapes me but the new place that used to be mcturcaills on Tara st is decent. I work nearby and they have done free platters for us in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Diceys, ask for a spot on the terrace. Will look for a deposit.

• Advertisement

The biggest issue you'll have is that there are so many of you. Most bars at 5.30pm of a Friday will be heaving, so you'll need a reservation and plenty of places do so much business that they won't take reservations for such occasions.

Off the top of my head......Napper Tandys, Doheny & Nesbitts, Toners are all on Baggott st and do food (Toner's don't but they let you bring in pizza from the pizza place next door - Cirillo's).

Your best bet is somewhere big that doesn't get busy until later.....D2 is a decent shout, they'll have plenty of room to accommodate such a large group and take bookings. Not sure what the food options are, I know they do BBQ during the summer. Dicey's are the same I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

The Gingerman

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Very disappointed as I thought an invitation was forthcoming. :pac:

Happy4all wrote: »
    The Gingerman

Not a hope in hell you'd get seated for food and drink in there for 6 people after work of a Friday, never mind 20. Don't think they take bookings at any stage, certainly not at their busiest 5hr period of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

square Ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 princess007

Thanks everyone, great suggestions but a bit of a trek for my crowd. Anywhere around Dame street / Temple bar???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

sweetie wrote: »
    The name escapes me but the new place that used to be mcturcaills on Tara st is decent. I work nearby and they have done free platters for us in the past.

Ruin Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Thanks everyone, great suggestions but a bit of a trek for my crowd. Anywhere around Dame street / Temple bar???

Trinity bar on Dame street lots of space food platters etc music later in the evening although pricey for a drink but to be expected unfortunately in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Underdog does food platters. But they're craft beer only so that may put off some people.

Get them taxi's and don't be mean, employees hate that. Temple bar is a rip off, who wants to share company time with tourists?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Still JW Sweetman tbh.
    Clegg wrote: »
    Underdog does food platters. But they're craft beer only so that may put off some people.
    Can't see them taking a booking for 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Get them taxi's and don't be mean, employees hate that. Temple bar is a rip off, who wants to share company time with tourists?

I really think it's just coworkers night out and the OP ain't the boss.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Lotts is just across the river and does platters. We've booked in there a few times after work on a Friday. TP Smiths is another option.

Birneybau wrote: »
    I really think it's just coworkers night out and the OP ain't the boss.

Expect 5 or 6 to turn up wherever so. I wouldn't be arsed getting 2 or maybe 3 free pints and a plate of deep fried sausies and springrolls in some sweat box. I have things to do on a Friday night.

Any work do should be employer sponsored or don't bother. Your employers all make loads of money, the fact that they can't put aside a couple of grand to get their staff pissed once or twice a year speaks volumes. It is tax deductable.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

The Camden ( old palace nightclub ) newly opened huge property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 princess007

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...will look into them. It's been a while since I have been out in town so a little rusty on venues!!!

Just to say also, not sure why it was assumed I was an employer or boss. Birneybau is right, it is just a gathering of co-workers.

Also, I'm not sure the tax payer would be in agreement that my employer should sponsor our work night.....again an incorrect assumption made above!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Dakota reopened a while back and is looking very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

Try Token up in Smithfield, a good night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Expect 5 or 6 to turn up wherever so. I wouldn't be arsed getting 2 or maybe 3 free pints and a plate of deep fried sausies and springrolls in some sweat box. I have things to do on a Friday night.

Any work do should be employer sponsored or don't bother. Your employers all make loads of money, the fact that they can't put aside a couple of grand to get their staff pissed once or twice a year speaks volumes. It is tax deductable.

Name checks out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

OP, have you sought views from the 20 or so staff going? Surely a few of them would have ideas. I second Ruin on Tara St though. It's spacious and allows reservations on Friday evenings and does nice pub grub platters too!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,110 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I presume OP already sorted.

Just noting Kennedys pub near Pearse St station do nice platters.
    Think you can book spot downstairs.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement