Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour of the fallen leaves - Advice sought

Options
  • 24-09-2019 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I'd like to do this spin and I'm looking for a bit of feedback from other boardsies who have done it.

I haven't cycled 70 kms in couple of months. The summer is a busy time and I don't get out as often as I'd like. In the last while I have had a number of spins 50 - 60 kms. Up to early June I got a few 100km spins under my belt, the longest was around 136 km. At this stage I've done around 2,300 kms so far this year

Around home where I do most of my cycling (Athlone/Ballinasloe) the surface is fairly flat with only a few hills. My avg speed is generally between 20-22kph.

I'm over around Kildare this weekend and I'd love to give this tour a go but I'm wary in case I might be being too ambitious.

I would appreciate the opinion of any boardsies who have done this tour before as to how difficult it is and whether I have enough done to give it a go.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Without knowing this event and with Google it's fairly difficult to tell how long / difficult it is.

You'll make it though

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Here is the map.. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1626252 .

Ive cycled a lot less that you and I done the Resevoir Cogs 65km last week with no real issues. The hills were tough but the distance was fine. It was more hilly than this one, I'm doing great dublin bike ride 100km this weekend and I have no real concerns.

You will be fine. Dont kill yourself at the start. Good luck and enjoy. bring some jellys and electrolytes.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

With 2300km this year you'd do that easily i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

Thanks for the link lochdara and the encouragement Cantgetnosleep.

I suppose I have two main concerns. The first is - I read somewhere about the cyclists being kept in a group until the food stop and that the speed of the group was 24-25 kph. I cant do that avg speed. Is it true about the organisers keeping everyone in the same group?

Secondly is the hills, I've done the tour de foothills 60 km version back in 2017. How are the hills in the fallen leaves tour compared to hills the foothills spin. I've had a look at both routes and I think myself the fallenleaves route should be ok, but I'd really like to get the opinion of somebody who has done both.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭plodder

If you are averaging > 20km/h on your own, 24-25 in a group will feel easy. And cycling in groups (not necessarily the same group all the time) is what makes these events fun. Don't know this event, but if it's hilly, then most people will find the hills hard and you often find that people just do them at their own pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

grouchyman wrote: »
    Thanks for the link lochdara and the encouragement Cantgetnosleep.

I suppose I have two main concerns. The first is - I read somewhere about the cyclists being kept in a group until the food stop and that the speed of the group was 24-25 kph. I cant do that avg speed. Is it true about the organisers keeping everyone in the same group?

Secondly is the hills, I've done the tour de foothills 60 km version back in 2017. How are the hills in the fallen leaves tour compared to hills the foothills spin. I've had a look at both routes and I think myself the fallenleaves route should be ok, but I'd really like to get the opinion of somebody who has done both.

Cheers
    grouchyman - you're over-thinking it. Those type of short charity rides tend to have lots of 'occasional' cyclists who struggle to maintain 20km/h.

East Wicklow is relatively flat and should certainly be easier than the Foothills Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

This will be no problem to you given the distance you put in.
    even if there is one group which is unlikely, you will get towed along , 25kph in a group, even just tagged onto the back rather than in the middle makes it so much easier. no wind resistance.. and its fun too. it will be easy for you.

I tried to catch a group on a very long straight on the ring of Clare. It took me ages, everytime i looked around or stopped peddling they got away. Eventually i caught up and cycled with them with no problem. They were moving nicely and I hardly broke sweat.

I can keep with them on the flat but I get left behind going up hills (hill might be a bit of a grand name for some of them :) and that’s that. I don’t mind though. I do a lot of cycling on my own

You will be fine. You will find another group. Just think about enjoying the day.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks. I’m definitely going to give it a go and we’ll see what happens. Thanks for the encouraging words

Thanks folks. I’m definitely going to give it a go and we’ll see what happens. Thanks for the encouraging words
    How did you get on?

How did you get on?

I got around thank goodness. the bit from Aughrim to the top was definitely the hardest bit of cycling I’ve done in a good while. Coming down was frightening. Thank god for good brakes. Reckon I’ll need new front blocks. My avg speed according to ridewithgps was 19kms. So happy with that.

It’s like a different country from where I usually cycle.

I got around thank goodness. the bit from Aughrim to the top was definitely the hardest bit of cycling I’ve done in a good while. Coming down was frightening. Thank god for good brakes. Reckon I’ll need new front blocks. My avg speed according to ridewithgps was 19kms. So happy with that.

It’s like a different country from where I usually cycle.

Edit - meant to say I saw one chap in a boards.ie jersey. He was with a club group and it looked like they were listening to the rugby commentary. Cheers

Edit - meant to say I saw one chap in a boards.ie jersey. He was with a club group and it looked like they were listening to the rugby commentary. Cheers
    That was myself :).

Enjoyable ride despite the crappy weather. Aughrim to Agavannnagh was a bit of a drag alright especially into a headwind.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2746626757

Well done. Might be lucky tomorrow with great Dublin bike ride.weather looks to be slightly improving

lochdara wrote: »
    Well done. Might be lucky tomorrow with great Dublin bike ride.weather looks to be slightly improving

Best of luck with it lochdara. Sitting here listening to the rain against the window pane. But its due to clear before morning. Have a safe spin

That was myself :).

Enjoyable ride despite the crappy weather. Aughrim to Agavannnagh was a bit of a drag alright especially into a headwind.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2746626757

I think I might have been a bit behind you there WA 😠Well done.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2746300179

Advertisement