Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MOST HATED PERSON IN IRISH HISTORY?

• 24-09-2019 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭

Who is it?

Diarmuid Mac Murrough

He invited the English to Ireland in 1169 after losing his throne as King of Leinster. King Henry II took him up on it and the Irish have been trying to get rid of the British ever since.

Oliver Cromwell

He decided to use Ireland as his own killing field to advance his political career in Britain. Murdered and deported tens of thousands of Irish as slaves.

Charles Trevelyan

Britain’s overseer of Ireland during the Great Hunger. He decided that economic policy and ‘not coddling the poor’ was more important than millions starving.

Lord Lucan

The worst landlord in Ireland during the Great Hunger. He turned 10,000 people out of their homes in Ballinrobe in Mayo alone. Thousands starved to death as he ruthlessly cleared the land.

Captain William O’Shea

He decided to divorce Kitty O’Shea despite knowing it would bring down Charles Stewart Parnell, who was on the verge of achieving Home Rule. He was egged on by British interests to do so. Despite the fact that O’Shea and Kitty were separated when she met Parnell, the resulting Victorian era scandal took down Ireland’s "Uncrowned King."

David Lloyd George

Also known as ‘the Welsh Wizard,’ this British Prime Minister split the Irish delegation during the treaty talks and insisted on Irish partition and keeping his unionist backers happy at all costs.

Winston Churchill
    A young Winston Churchill, responsible for the Black and Tans.

A young Winston Churchill, responsible for the Black and Tans.

He invented the Black and Tans and was responsible for sending them to Ireland to force the Irish rebellion into surrender.

General Eoin O’Duffy

In the 1930s, he started the Blueshirts, which was the Irish equivalent of the Nazis. He raised a brigade to fight with Franco in the Spanish Civil War and was an admirer of Hitler.

Margaret Thatcher

She allowed ten IRA prisoners, led by Bobby Sands, to starve to death in 1981. The bloody-handed move backfired when Sands was elected as MP and kick-started the Sinn Fein political rise a month before his death.

Colonel Derek Wilford

He was Parachute Regiment commander in Derry in 1972 when he unleashed the paras to fire on unarmed civilians on 'Bloody Sunday.' 26 were shot and 14 died. Subsequently known as “the Butcher of the Bogside.”

I copied this from below link but it was lacking an after hours poll!

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/most-hated-people-irish-history

The most hated person in Irish history 452 votes

Diarmuid Mac Murrough
    65% 297 votes
    Oliver Cromwell
    0% 4 votes
    Charles Trevelyan
    25% 113 votes
    Lord Lucan
    1% 9 votes
    Captain William O’Shea
    0% 2 votes
    David Lloyd George
    0% 0 votes
    Winston Churchill
    0% 1 vote
    General Eoin O’Duffy
    0% 1 vote
    Margaret Thatcher
    0% 2 votes
    Colonel Derek Wilford
    5% 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ahh, the League of Basterds

No poll?

I'd vote Cromwell.

Edit : cheers for the poll

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Al Porter. Hozier. Conor mcgregor. Jennifer from Jennifer and Eamonn. Alison Spittle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

My "hilarious" After Hours answer is me, Guy Person. A total fúcking wánker.

My serious actual answer is the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's the ones you never heard of were the real villains.

Jacob Rees Mogg should be on that list. He would probably come a close second to Cromwell these days. Many of the others can probably be excused in different ways, eg the Normans or their successors would eventually have come here anyway, and would have colonised us more comprehensively.

If anything, the Normans helped to modernise the country and then swiftly assimilated. I personally have no hard feelings towards Diarmuid McMurrough for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Larry Murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Finally, another Brit bashing thread! Its been a week at least some must have been getting twitchy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Lottie Ryan

Close the thread :-)

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Lottie Ryan

Close the thread :-)

We needed that for a bit of gender balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

img_7500.jpg?w=922&h=1024

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cromwell was a proud republican

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ehm... It was the Normans, not English in 1169.

Cromwell was a proud republican

Some unkind Dundalk person said his biggest mistake was leaving a man and woman alive in Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

McMurrough being the worse is laughable, Gaelic Ireland was very fragmented. After the Spanish invasion of Kinsale it took the O’Neills about six weeks to march down (and during that six weeks they plundered neighbouring chieftans) and when the O’Donnels marched down they plundered so much on their way that their survivors of the battle were attacked on the march home.
    Then there were the locals who sold horses to the Spanish at high prices and then stole them back.
    I’d vote for the people who bailed out Anglo and the muppets who thought we could buy and sell over inflated sh1t houses to each other for infinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Charles Trevelyan, complete pr!ck.

Shirn what’s the difference, they were all prods anyway.

People who start off correcting someone by saying Ehm... were definitely prefects in secondary school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ipso wrote: »

Protestant Religion wasn't formed until nearly 500 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Thierry Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Bono

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

John Connors should be a contender.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Guy Person wrote: »
    People who start off correcting someone by saying Ehm... were definitely prefects in secondary school.

Hope you dont feel bad about being wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I'm sorry but Wim Kieft has to be right up there.

And Pascal Pape for trying to finger SOB in 2015.

Pretty sure Strongbow was second or third generation English-born. They were Normans, but they were also English by then.

Him and King Billy.

Pretty sure Strongbow was second or third generation English-born. They were Normans, but they were also English by then.

I think they still considered themselves a class separate from the native Ingerlish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Was in London there two weeks ago. Statue of Oliver Cromwell outside the Houses of Parliament. Bit like having a statue of Hitler in central Berlin.

And Pascal Pape for trying to finger SOB in 2015.

Was he the guy SOB pissed on in the pub?

Him and King Billy.

Indeed both Orange bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Someone needs to go back to school I think.

Protestantism did not even exist for another 400 years.

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Some one needs to go back to school I think.

Protestantism did not even exist for another 400 years.

Ah here. It was an attempt at humour. Mods, can we have comic sans font for special purposes?

I think they still considered themselves a class separate from the native Ingerlish.

Yeah but you see the vast vast majority of Brits honest to God could not tell you the first thing about Oliver Cromwell let alone his connection with Ireland.

You see when your history is full of murderous fcukers that went all around the world, where do start in teaching it? Answer: you just don't bother in the first place.

Living here I genuinely mean that.

Don't forget Frances Drake- he was another bad ****er.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Eamon de Valera or Charlie Haughey. We're still living with the culture of corruption they created and propagated.
    After them, Gerry Adams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

2014-08-17_iri_2978987_I1.JPG

Eamon de Valera or Charlie Haughey. We're still living with the culture of corruption they created and propagated.
    After them, Gerry Adams

Adams was a freedom fighter. Much like Collins or Pearse.

• Advertisement

Yeah but you see the vast vast majority of Brits honest to God could not tell you the first thing about Oliver Cromwell let alone his connection with Ireland.

You see when your history is full of murderous fcukers that went all around the world, where do start in teaching it? Answer: you just don't bother in the first place.

Living here I genuinely mean that.

Don't forget Frances Drake- he was another bad ****er.

I find it hilarious how people fawn over the royal family. Their ancestors slaughtered each other to control land, glorified Milwall hooligans with fancy titles.

Ah here. It was an attempt at humour. Mods, can we have comic sans font for special purposes?

Only if you can tell me who Richard De Clare was without googling it?

He was Catholic btw , non British and his burial ground is open to spurious debate.

Wayne O'Donoghue . The man who killed little Robert Holohan in Cork.

Hope you dont feel bad about being wrong.
    I don't, sure why would anyone? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

He’s the guy who invented twoies of cider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Adams was a freedom fighter. Much like Collins or Pearse.

Lol

He was Catholic btw , non British and his burial ground is open to spurious debate.

Oh I remember this from a tour of Christchruch. Connected with Strongbow I think- I was hungover.

Norman lord (descended for the victors at hastings who had some connection to the English throne based a possible promise made by Edward the confessor to William the bastid).
    Got invited to help with an internal gaelic struggle, married into Leister gaelicdom, became more Irish than the Irish themselves etc
    More came after, Burkes, Joyces etc
    I confess I have little knowledge on the detail of the period. I welcome recommendations for any good books on the subject/time period.

But William Marshal 1st Earl of Pembroke, son in law of Strongbow, definitely considered himself English. And the Normans werent even a cohesive group of people in thr first place, so that's no surprise.

But William Marshal 1st Earl of Pembroke, son in law of Strongbow, definitely considered himself English. And the Normans werent even a cohesive group of people in thr first place, so that's no surprise.

Was this time frame also post the White Ship, so the Normans were in their last legs?

Was this time frame also post the White Ship, so the Normans were on their last legs?

He’s the guy who invented twoies of cider.

That was his cousin I reckon. They all drank ale then anyway, unless you were in Clonmel.

Norman lord (descended for the victors at hastings who had some connection to the English throne based a possible promise made by Edward the confessor to William the bastid).
    Got invited to help with an internal gaelic struggle, married into Leister gaelicdom, became more Irish than the Irish themselves etc
    More came after, Burkes, Joyces etc
    I confess I have little knowledge on the detail of the period. I welcome recommendations for any good books on the subject/time period.

Is he any relation of Thierry Henri?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Brian Cowan

I can't believe no one mentioned Ryan Tubridy yet, what is wrong everyone these days?

• Advertisement
Advertisement