Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension process

Options
  • 24-09-2019 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I want to build an extension to my home and no planning permission is needed. I was silly enough to think I just contact a builder and they give me a quote and then I instruct them to start if I am busy.

No builder will speak to me without plans.

Do I need an architect and an engineer or will one do? And does this mean I need to send 3000 on a plan just to see if I can afford the extension?!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

acw1 wrote: »
    I want to build an extension to my home and no planning permission is needed. I was silly enough to think I just contact a builder and they give me a quote and then I instruct them to start if I am busy.

Do I need an architect and an engineer or will one do? And does this mean I need to send 3000 on a plan just to see if I can afford the extension?!

Budget €€2k per square meter.
    If that’s in the ball park of what you think you can afford then proceed with drawings.

If not then scale back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Location , location , location. Something simple, no major structural issues etc should be doable for 1500. But as kceire says have a bit in reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 3 acw1

kceire wrote: »
    Budget €€2k per square meter.
    If that’s in the ball park of what you think you can afford then proceed with drawings.

If not then scale back.

Thank you for your response. Please excuse my ignorance, I really have no ideas on these things but does the €2K per square meter include kitchen and floors (I know prices for these things vary hugely but does it cover a basic one?)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thank you for your response. Please excuse my ignorance, I really have no ideas on these things but does the €2K per square meter include kitchen and floors (I know prices for these things vary hugely but does it cover a basic one?)

Basic level of finish.
    Standard windows. No major large sliders or anything.
    Standard flooring, does Kelly etc
    Basic kitchen.

Only a ball park to see if it’s a runner or not.

I went out to survey a house a week or 2 ago for a client. They went through all their plans and at the very end told me they had 100k for a 200k build!

I don’t even bother measuring up as they were way off target.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

You won't need planning permission for an extension out the back less than 40m2. A single story 40m2 living space is quite sizable.

I know you can buy architect plans from books and online so I'm fairly sure there will be extension plans that fall into the 40m2 category for sale. Might cost a couple of hundred euros but at least you get to pick it.

Using the plans, you can then get into contact with builders and ask price including everything on the drawings/spec. If a builder breaks specification (insulation, windows, finishes.. etc) it's you who will lose out.

By law now you need an engineer to oversee the project at certain stages. With the plans, you could again contact a few local Engineers and ask them to quote you to oversee and sign off on the entire job. Stay away from big companies because they'll probably quote you through the roof. Expect to pay €1,000-1,500.

See below article on examples of costs:
    http://blog.tradesmen.ie/2017/05/house-extension-cost-survey-2017/

If you're putting a kitchen into the extension it's gonna increase your cost obviously. All depends how big and nice you want the kitchen. Keep in mind a kitchen could cost anything from €7000-30000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Some of those figures from Tradesmen.ie look very cheap, especially when compared to the RIAI guidelines.

Are they rock bottom prices or has there been that much of an increase in prices in the last 2 and a half years?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

! It’s a website advertising a service. It’s like booking a flight, until you go through the motions you don’t get the real price.

Advertisement