Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working hours advice

Options
  • 24-09-2019 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, currently I am working a 9 to 5 job. It was agreed that I would have lunch from 1-2. Normally stop for tea around between 10.30-11ish for maybe 15 mins.

My lunch hour is way too long, I only take 30 mins max. Should I ask to be allowed finish at 4.30? Or should I ask that my working hours are increased to 5.30pm and finish work at 5.

Currently I have been working an extra 20-30 mins extra everyday, through my own stupidity I've said nothing.

Am I entitled to ask for extra money or finish early?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Depends on your work place. I guess. Maybe ask some coworkers or just see if anyone else has flexible hours like that. But stop working during your break until then, go for a walk or something. Why would an employer want to let you switch if they lose 20-30 mins of free labour every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Rooter1 wrote: »
    Hi, currently I am working a 9 to 5 job. It was agreed that I would have lunch from 1-2. Normally stop for tea around between 10.30-11ish for maybe 15 mins.

My lunch hour is way too long, I only take 30 mins max. Should I ask to be allowed finish at 4.30? Or should I ask that my working hours are increased to 5.30pm and finish work at 5.

Currently I have been working an extra 20-30 mins extra everyday, through my own stupidity I've said nothing.

Am I entitled to ask for extra money or finish early?

How long are you in the job? if less than 6 months, you are on defacto probation and they might decide if you are that focused on the clock that you aren't in their long term plans.

Could you use the longer break for your benefit, exercise, study, read a book, do shopping etc?

Danger of asking to finish early or get paid more is it will likely impact on others in company very quickly and that could be unnecessary disturbance. In fact, some of your colleagues might not look to positively on you taking a shorter break.

Personally, I'd focus on optimising the hour for lunch first and if you just can't do it, I'd bring the fact that you are working more in to a schedule review for either acknowledgement or additional pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is there Flexi time...

You could always ask your manager or HR if there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rooter1

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Depends on your work place. I guess. Maybe ask some coworkers or just see if anyone else has flexible hours like that. But stop working during your break until then, go for a walk or something. Why would an employer want to let you switch if they lose 20-30 mins of free labour every day.

I work in the countryside, so going for a walk in the rain is not appealing. They aren't a hands on management so they probably don't even notice that I am doing the extra work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rooter1

How long are you in the job? if less than 6 months, you are on defacto probation and they might decide if you are that focused on the clock that you aren't in their long term plans.

Could you use the longer break for your benefit, exercise, study, read a book, do shopping etc?

Danger of asking to finish early or get paid more is it will likely impact on others in company very quickly and that could be unnecessary disturbance. In fact, some of your colleagues might not look to positively on you taking a shorter break.

Personally, I'd focus on optimising the hour for lunch first and if you just can't do it, I'd bring the fact that you are working more in to a schedule review for either acknowledgement or additional pay.

Its a small company, not on probation, on contract. We all more or less take the same break, I don't know about others as they all work different hours.

Its frustrating when one or two people seem to be picking up the slack and everyone else is going at their own pace. The extra work I do isn't even noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Its a small company, not on probation, on contract. We all more or less take the same break, I don't know about others as they all work different hours.

Its frustrating when one or two people seem to be picking up the slack and everyone else is going at their own pace. The extra work I do isn't even noticed.

Personally, if I was more comfortable taking a 30 minute break, I'd go back to work after that time and expect that ultimately it would come back to me without flagging it immediately. I might ask to finish early without having to make up hours, I might be the one to have my contract extended, I might have another string to my bow at a performance review.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I think you have two choices. You can ask your employer is it ok to take a 30 minute break and to go home 30 minutes earlier or you can take the full hour lunch break. Of course the option of going home early is at the discretion of your employer. It's say it's unlikely that a small company will pay you for the extra 2.5 hours that you work each week by going back to work from your lunch break early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Then don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Stop working extra time for free, ask your manager can your shift end 30 minutes earlier because you only need a half an hour lunch.

Should be no problem, there aren't losing anything in working hours and they aren't having to pay more either.

If they say no then take your full hour and stop working on your lunch break for no recognition or pay. Use the extra 30 minutes to benefit you, 2.5 hours a week you could do an online course, learn a new skill etc.

Advertisement