Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove Deck or leave it ?

Options
  • 24-09-2019 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

We are looking to renovate our back garden and we have a deck which is more of an obstruction as it occupies a lot of space for the size of the garden .

The deck itself is in good shape , that is the timber is not rotting and my guess is that it was probably installed around 15 years back by previous owners .

The problem is that there is no where to take it out from as the side entrance may not be too wide ( and so is the neighbors ) , unless the desk is chopped into 100 pieces and then taken out .

Would someone know what are the best options and how much does a messy removal like this cost ?

I enclose a picture here .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A cheap circular saw, extension cable, big skip, gloves, eye protection, face mask.

Around €500 DIY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

Put the seats down in your car, lift the deck and chop planks to fit in car. Take to recycling center. A days work. A tenner with a manual saw. Probably 30 if you buy a second-hand circular saw off adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Or just put an advert up offering the decking for free to the first person to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RaulDublin

Hoboo wrote: »
    Or just put an advert up offering the decking for free to the first person to remove it.

Thats great , I think I'll this first :)

RaulDublin wrote: »
    Hoboo wrote: »

Thats great , I think I'll this first :)

Just be wary of travellers. They'll have the lawn away too.

• Advertisement

Put the seats down in your car, lift the deck and chop planks to fit in car. Take to recycling center. A days work. A tenner with a manual saw. Probably 30 if you buy a second-hand circular saw off adverts.

Ballyogan Recycling Centre (for example) charges €30 per car load for wood, so depending on your car size, it can get quite expensive.

It is also quite difficult to fill up a car with this sort of material without causing damage. I've been doing it for a couple of years and my car is wrecked. :D

+1 on the hand saw though, but get a good one (e.g. Stanley Fatmax). Cheap saws are useless.

The other thing I'd say about anyone giving you a cheap price, it'll probably end up dumped at the side of the road.

Treated or painted wood can't be burned in a domestic stove (unless you're an idiot) so it has to be processed appropriately, and that costs money.

Old decking is less than worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RaulDublin

Many thanks for all the comments .I don't think I'll be able to do it on my own so will ask for a few quotes and see if they can soak the price in to the full garden renovation .
    Another wild thought is have is to leave the deck in place and strip out the railings , repair it and then polish with neutral base ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

RaulDublin wrote: »
    Another wild thought is have is to leave the deck in place and strip out the railings , repair it and then polish with neutral base ?

No, do remove it, the deck really looks out of place. Please call the recycling centres around you and ask if they take cut decking. If they do, cut it into pieces and bring to the centre. If they do not, you can either hire a skip or pay someone to dismantle and remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Repurpose at least some of the deck for planters etc. in your updated garden? Seems a shame to dump decent wood.

• Advertisement

Just had a thought. Check if you have a local men's shed and offer them the planks and wood. They'll make planters with them and sell them to support men's charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

You could recycle those railings for trellis along your walls if you wanted to grow some climbers to hide the concrete blocks.

Advertisement