Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller fights

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ah, a Traveller bashing thread. Literally, this time. So many good-for-nothing bowsies out there that wont stand and make a fight. On the other hand, some daycent boys that were never bet in their life, God bless them.

I've always loved every type of combat sport, UFC, boxing, all types of Martial Arts; I've always been fascinated by bare knuckle boxing.

These guys are warriors. They deserve respect; I see a lot of respect for them in this thread and jokes aswell.

Have you seen the documentary "Knuckle"? It deals with some tough issues surrounding this, but ultimately they do it to put on a show, even releasing tapes to promote the fights... just like every other promoter in the world.

To not treat these guys just like everybody else is the soft bigotry of low expectations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

"Its all over these tapes that jamaican" - Simie O'Donnell

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They do show the height of fair play

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I've always loved every type of combat sport, UFC, boxing, all types of Martial Arts; I've always been fascinated by bare knuckle boxing.

These guys are warriors. They deserve respect; I see a lot of respect for them in this thread and jokes aswell.

Have you seen the documentary "Knuckle"? It deals with some tough issues surrounding this, but ultimately they do it to put on a show, even releasing tapes to promote the fights... just like every other promoter in the world.

To not treat these guys just like everybody else is the soft bigotry of low expectations.

bollox
    in the vast majority of cases it fat unskilled semi civilized criminals swinging wildly at each other in a carpark doing very little damage until they get tired and then calling it a draw. its no a combat sport its people to stupid and infantile to resolve a dispute any other way

by the way one of the heros of the film knuckle later beat his wife to death with his skills

Omackeral wrote: »
    They do show the height of fair play

No bitin' or buttin'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Thelonious wrote: »
    Joe Joyce Jr and Dougie Joyce are feuding.

There has been an agreement in principle to have a fair fight out the road but a date hasn't been set yet.

Dougie wants the fight in 5 weeks from now, whereas Joe wants 12/13 weeks to train.

This all started over the small matter of 100 pound Joe owed to Dougies brother for cocaine.

Love me some traveller fights.

It will be a good fight with the help of God.

A good compromise would be 9 weeks then. Please God Dougie will win.
    Leaving his brother short for the cocaine was a sin GBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

Can not imagine why. If any of the fights I ever watched are anything to go by there is absolutely no style grace or training in play there. Not a single one of them would give me a bit of trouble. Any video I watched was nothing more than a couple of beer bellies dancing around each other with one or more people shouting over and over again "Will ya shake hands lads will ya".

Have you got a lot of experience fighting? Are you confident you'd win against Paddy Ward whose video I posted above?

Gramsey Joyce would probably break you up lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

We should start a listing on the thread of the best and funniest traveler call outs.
    My favourite one is Simey o Donnell christening the Joyce's as junkies ratpoison bastards. And Big Joe's son Davy Joyce calling Simey a shíte in a bucket handicap innocent boy.

Anyway, where is this fight due to take place?
    I'd love to go to one of these fights to look on, albeit from a safe distance with a quick exit of need be.

My brother in law (a fight of any kind between humans fanatic) once managed to wangle a seat in a Hiace to some big fight. It was to be in a secret place etc
    His wife cried so badly at the idea of him disappearing off with these gougers that he didn’t go in the end.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    bollox
    in the vast majority of cases it fat unskilled semi civilized criminals swinging wildly at each other in a carpark doing very little damage until they get tired and then calling it a draw. its no a combat sport its people to stupid and infantile to resolve a dispute any other way

by the way one of the heros of the film knuckle later beat his wife to death with his skills

It could also be described as an ancient traditional with historical reverence spanning across multiple cultures.

"Though men compete more aggressively, they make peace more easily afterward"
    Importantly, Benenson said, the study also lends credence to what researchers call the “male warrior hypothesis,” the notion that men broker good feelings after conflict to ensure they can call on allies to help defend the group in the future.

What better way is there of resolving conflict between two (consenting)people that hate each other and can't be seen to lose face?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It could also be described as an ancient traditional with historical reverence spanning across multiple cultures.

What better way is there of resolving conflict between two (consenting)people that hate each other and can't be seen to lose face?

Failte Ireland are missing a trick here, why aren't these fights in tourist iteneraries? Never mind the Book of Kells, round towers and Wild Atlantic Way.

Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Is it on Bog 1 or Bog 2 lads?

ancient and traditional is in reality is uncivilized and less developed than the average person

its like two infants pushing and shoving on a playground , and these fights rarley end cleanly ,

i could solve all my disputes with a slap of a fist or a slash hook but thats not the kind of world i aspite to create . its evolution in reverse

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Who is gonna be fair play man for this?
    I assume big Paul Joyce, keeping it an all Joyce affair.

ancient and traditional is in reality is uncivilized and less developed than the average person

its like two infants pushing and shoving on a playground , and these fights rarley end cleanly ,

i could solve all my disputes with a slap of a fist or a slash hook but thats not the kind of world i aspite to create . its evolution in reverse

Fights without weapons between healthy people is not all that dangerous.

I see the point you're making the world would be better without violence, but this might be untrue. As per the study I linked to earlier, how better can some men resolve their conflicts and find allies for future conflict.

Apparently when we 'resolve' conflict by talking it rarely resolves. It builds up and eats away at us.

Think of the case of two young schoolboys in school. If they have a conflict and 'fight' they are much more likely to be friends the next day.

If however the teacher breaks them up, resentment builds up between them, they will probably not be friends again.

Men and women seem to have entirely different ways to resolve conflict, women's approach might be better but men's result is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

Who is gonna be fair play man for this?
    I assume big Paul Joyce, keeping it an all Joyce affair.

Young Joe doesn't want any of the Joyces showing fair play actually. He said that James Quinn McDonagh is happy to show fair play for him and suggested one of the other Quinn McDonaghs to show fair play for Dougie.

Still no date settled. Really hope this one goes ahead as it could be a good one for the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I think that's Snr. you're referring to not Jnr. (I could be wrong). I remember watching a documentary("Knuckle" ) including him few years back with some very posh Dublin accent guy narrating it.
    (apparently he was quite a good boxer)

Knuckle features the 'quinn' Mc Donaghs from finglas. Yer man murdered his wife in Dundalk a few years ago, after brutalising her for years. Scumbag. Used to sell DVDs of his own fights in Balbriggan market. Not James, the big baldy fella, but his brother the ginger c*nt. James is sound enough, drank with him a few times in the bottom of the hill, decent fella, good boxer too. Not a brawler like most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,837 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If they could record their videos in landscape and not hold the phone like they were riding it the videos would be much more entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Young Joe doesn't want any of the Joyces showing fair play actually. He said that James Quinn McDonagh is happy to show fair play for him and suggested one of the other Quinn McDonaghs to show fair play for Dougie.

That's a pity because big Paul is the best of fair play men- he was young Joe's fair play man against O'Donnell and called it straight down the middle.

He is also a fine upstanding citizen to boot.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/traveller-couple-stole-21000-vulnerable-5852873

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

dd973 wrote: »
    It's weird how similar they all seem to be, with just about any other grouping there's usually some divergence of culture, habits and tastes, personalities, politics and so forth, but that clip is just about any Traveller in Ireland/the UK.

It's because they're all inbred. They need so.e outside blood to diversify a bit

Have you got a lot of experience fighting?

I would not say a lot no. I have been training various forms of martial art for slightly over a decade now. I can hold my own when I have to. Never go looking for a fight or anything - because even the most highly trained person can lose a fight or get horribly injured by even the worst fighter on a bad day. What they hammer into you over and over when learning to fight is - don't. The goal should always to be get out of the situation first and foremost, and only if that fails do you fight.

But in those videos I have seen - which is admittedly not many - they look like they are just flailing. I see about 100 openings I would use. Clearly some power behind their flapping though. Would not want to feel one of them connect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Hard one to call,
    I havnt actually seen any of Dougies fights, he seems more grounded than the others, so might actually have some actual skill, whereas joe will come in with flying haymakers, but if they connect well do damage.

Big Paul, he had a good knock with Michael Quinn McDonagh the fella that murdered his wife.

Paddy ‘Jaws’ Ward would make light work of either of them.

He would and all,
    Hes a man of few words, he destroyed Barney the Burger King both times they met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Have you got a lot of experience fighting? Are you confident you'd win against Paddy Ward whose video I posted above?

Gramsey Joyce would probably break you up lol

The very gay traveller lad in the car park would drop him i reckon

I would not say a lot no. I have been training various forms of martial art for slightly over a decade now. I can hold my own when I have to. Never go looking for a fight or anything - because even the most highly trained person can lose a fight or get horribly injured by even the worst fighter on a bad day. What they hammer into you over and over when learning to fight is - don't. The goal should always to be get out of the situation first and foremost, and only if that fails do you fight.

But in those videos I have seen - which is admittedly not many - they look like they are just flailing. I see about 100 openings I would use. Clearly some power behind their flapping though. Would not want to feel one of them connect.

no offence but it sounds like you have never had a real fight in your life .

a gym with pads and a safe word is not a fight

no offence but it sounds like you have never had a real fight in your life

Why would I be offended? Makes no sense.

But alas no - I have had to deal with actual violence in my life in actual fights. Not memories I prefer to look back on. And in all but one case they were not fights I went looking for - and I tried to get out of but failed and had to defend myself.

You can usually tell quick enough if someone is going to give you trouble to beat if it comes to it. But even in a situation where all the odds are in your favour it takes one unlucky step or surprise and you can be killed on the spot. No amount of training makes you 100% safe. So I prefer not to get into one rather than to win one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

He would and all,
    Hes a man of few words, he destroyed Barney the Burger King both times they met.

A burger got his own back lately

A burger got his own back lately

Wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Hold on, you’ve never had an actual fight? Have you ever had competitive bouts in a proper striking martial art like boxing or Muay Thai?

I think your notions of beating big, fit 17 stone men with amateur boxing records and bareknuckle pedigrees is fanciful now to be honest mate.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    Hold on, you’ve never had an actual fight?

That is the opposite of what I have been saying :) I think you might have misread my posts.

Advertisement