Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller fights

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Big Joe and Paddy Doherty are pure legends on that scene. Big players in their fighting days.

Remember these.
    Big Joe's secret, dipping his hands in petrol...
    https://youtu.be/XhkbrkRL3uY

And that famous fight between Dan Rooney Vs Michael cash. Probably one of the biggest traveler fights in history of knuckle boxing. Ended up turning into a huge riot with fights breaking out everywhere.

Go to about 30 minutes into the video to see the interviews, fighters entering with their entourage and the ensuing melee.....

https://youtu.be/SznikbNtgjM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

FTA69 wrote: »
    Dunno about that. A lot of the lads doing bare knuckle fights also have a decent amateur pedigree, Davy Joyce etc I think boxed at a reasonably high level in the ABAs. I competed in boxing for years and there's plenty of Traveller fellas I met I wouldn't like to have a scrap with in a million years, the idea someone like Jaws Ward or whatnot would be "no bother" is fanciful enough.

99% of these bare knuckle 'boxers' would'nt last 1 round against any half decent trained boxer.
    Paddy Ward would be in heavyweight division. i'd give him 30-60 seconds against any average heavyweight that was retired for 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

washman3 wrote: »
    99% of these bare knuckle 'boxers' would'nt last 1 round against any half decent trained boxer.
    Paddy Ward would be in heavyweight division. i'd give him 30-60 seconds against any average heavyweight that was retired for 10 years.

Bert Cooper was good fighter in his day but had lost 6 of his last 11 fights when he fought unbeaten Bare Knuckle champion Joe Savage. Hilariously, Savage had called out Mike Tyson, Lewis and Evander Holyfield but had to settle for Cooper on his pro debut

Crikey he really plants himself face first into the floor there doesn't he? That was some landing. Kudos that he even tried to stand up after that - even if he failed utterly to get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

FTA69 wrote: »
    Hold on, you’ve never had an actual fight? Have you ever had competitive bouts in a proper striking martial art like boxing or Muay Thai?

I think your notions of beating big, fit 17 stone men with amateur boxing records and bareknuckle pedigrees is fanciful now to be honest mate.

These things hardly matter on the internet. In theory he has them all beaten. That’s enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Think Bert Cooper was 48 years old when that fight took place and had been retired for about 12.

These things hardly matter on the internet. In theory he has them all beaten. That’s enough for me.

Hah as I said in theory I would retreat from any fight that popped up if an exit presented itself. Every bit of my training is geared towards getting the hell out if possible and not engaging if you can avoid it. Even one stray punch can potentially kill you - why bother ever fighting if you can get away from it? Often you are the loser even if you win.

But all I said really was the flailing around I saw in a few of these videos - would leave me not feeling too concerned if I was cornered into it. I know what I am and am not capable of. I know my limits. But all I was doing was questioning the idea those fights are worth watching. I never saw one that was. But I haven't watched a lot of them. So what do I know really?

Was terrible hard to take the "neeeee-arse" Joe guy seriously though. His fight was pure comedy when I watched it. It was like the boxing version of the Knights who say "ni" on Monty Python. I was in stiches.

But as you say it is the internet. Words words words. Lets hope I never have to actually test myself in real fights again. I have had more than I ever wanted of that in the past. Even 1 was too many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

washman3 wrote: »

A boxer would break his hands in a bare knuckle fight.

Boxer's learn to punch with gloves; they don't know how to punch someone with their fist.

Remember when Mike Tyson KO'd that guy outside the ring? He smashed his hand to pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

James Quinn has received a thousand pound kicking money from young Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

• Advertisement

Time to resurrect the thread.

Joe Joyce Jr is involved in a feud with a man called Charlie Joseph McDonagh.

Joe has seemingly damaged a vehicle and is threatening the aggrieved with physical harm if he goes to the police .

Unconfirmed rumours are circulating that Joe has been attacked and badly cut in retaliation.

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭Enough is Enough!

How about Settled v Traveller fights? Get a bit of ethnic rivalry going? Could be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

How about Settled v Traveller fights? Get a bit of ethnic rivalry going? Could be fun.

Enda Kenny hasn't declared "settled" as an ethnicity. For that reason we're not allowed get involved in "cultural" activities like bare knuckle boxing:D

..or running amok at weddings.
    ...or bringing slash hooks to funerals.
    ..or random trespass and damage to property.
    ..or dumping crap everywhere.

Jesus!!.....I so want to be an ethinic minority on a par with travellers. It sounds like such fun!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thelonious wrote: »
    Time to resurrect the thread.

Joe Joyce Jr is involved in a feud with a man called Charlie Joseph McDonagh.

[]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImDLNzJOvvg[/YOUTUBE]

Joe has seemingly damaged a vehicle and is threatening the aggrieved with physical harm if he goes to the police .

Unconfirmed rumours are circulating that Joe has been attacked and badly cut in retaliation.
    Whats happening in that video, who is he and why is he laughing? Whats the story with the crystal?

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats happening in that video, who is he and why is he laughing? Whats the story with the crystal?

His car was vandalised by Joe jr. and his buddies He is laughing because they didn't do a lot of damage to the car, and they didn't damage the crystal either. He said his young son to do more damage if he tried. It appears he is selling that stuff door to door, that would be my guess anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It’s called diversity.

Diversity is our strength. Especially when that diversity comes from cousins having sex, producing these low IQ savages that will beat seven shades of shïte out of each other for €100.

But of course, it’s their culture and I’m wrong, possibly a racist, I mean they are an ethnic minority now. Even straight talking like this is deemed “racist”, we have a massive traveler problem in Ireland that can never be fixed unless we’re ready to speak honestly and straight. But we can’t, the do gooders will be along shortly, and guess what, the problem will get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Id say id give the most of them hoors a good run for their money, the most of them ***** are overweight undertrained and wouldnt run 20 yards if their cousin was offering free blowjobs in the back of the daddys van

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Just watched a film about this, Creamer vs Creamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I've never quite understood the paranoia and opprobrium about Travellers in this country, 90% of them live over the water in dreadful London overspill areas.

Advertisement