Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Donald Trump - Formal Impeachment Inquiry Announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Maybe it will just end up with one side repeating the 'Put him on trial' line while the other side responds with 'Let us call our witnesses'.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

It's a difficult one to call. Dammed if they sent it on, dammed if they don't. Either way a GOP controlled senate will never call those witnesses. But I think the delay has caught McConnell by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Boggles wrote: »
    4 key witnesses who have refused to testify.

I don't think Pelosi has ever called getting a conviction in the Senate a slam dunk.

But either way, if the GOP are so confident Trump did nothing wrong, why not let them have their witnesses?

But we've been told that the "facts" are irrefutable. The Dems seem to want it every which way. They should have waited until they got the witnesses they wanted to testify before voting. What was the hurry?

Also, why on Earth would the GOP agree to any new witnesses at this stage? If the case they have is strong enough, let the Senate do it's part of the process.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

JRant wrote: »
    But we've been told that the "facts" are irrefutable. The Dems seem to want it every which way. They should have waited until they got the witnesses they wanted to testify before voting. What was the hurry?

Why would someone want to call 4 key witnesses in an actual trial?

Is that a serious question? :confused:

Are you a Republican voting American?

Why would someone want to call 4 key witnesses in an actual trial?

Is that a serious question? :confused:

Are you a Republican voting American?

Not at all, I'm a Bernie/Tulsi supporter but I smell a crock of sh8te when I see one. I would love to see the Donald gone in 2020 but this is just a nonsense.

• Advertisement

Not at all, I'm a Bernie/Tulsi supporter but I smell a crock of sh8te when I see one. I would love to see the Donald gone in 2020 but this is just a nonsense.

I don't really know what you mean by smelling a "crock of shíté".

Personally I don't care about Democrats or Republicans or what happens in 2020.

The reality is though, given what we know, Trump solicited a foreign power to interfere in a US election. That is and always has been a no no, up to this point.

I mean he did a whole heap of things but it boils down to that.

In normal times, he wouldn't have been impeached he would have been forced to resign by his own "party" predominately.

But these are not normal times, facts are not facts anymore, they don't exist, the bar that the constitution set has been thrown out the window.

Now as I keep telling people, Trump is fleeting, his legacy though constructed by in large by the GOP could potentially be far more damaging.

Unaccountable presidents will actually be a crock of shít for america and it's people.

But fúck it I agree with you give it to Bernie, it can't get much worse.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

It seems not long (hours) after that infamous phone call, is when the hold on the military aid was put on.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/475600-trump-aides-tasked-with-carrying-out-ukraine-funding-freeze-shortly

Hopefully they get the un redacted version, I'd love to see what duffey said in his reply to mccusker when she asked what the reason was for the hold on the aid.

"McCusker, through email, asked Duffey what caused the holdup. The first part of Duffey's response is redacted, but he went on to say that he was "glad to have this behind us."

• Registered Users Posts: 82,417 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So I’m watching Live PD, and they arrested a suspect for obstruction of justice: they stated they smelled marijuana coming from his motel room, and he shut the door on them. That’s, basically it. Obstruction of justice. Cuffed.

How does it make sense to people then saying Trump hasn’t obstructed justice? I’m baffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Great question and it seems that technically Trump isn't legally impeached until the articles are actually sent to the Senate, see
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/opinion/articles/2019-12-19/trump-impeachment-delay-could-be-serious-problem-for-democrats

The ball is very much in the Dems court here. Hold on to the articles and Trump can claim he was never impeached. Send them across and the GOP in the Senate will quickly vote it down.
    Except that opinion piece has been debunked
    (he is still impeached)
    https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1207839832992604160?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

duploelabs wrote: »
    (he is still impeached)
    At least Clinton got a BJ out of his impeachment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Trump has the GOP party eating out of his a$$

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

The impeachment will fail. I think Trump will go on to win a second term. That is not good but there are no good choices for US President that I know of. Democrats are out and the only good Republican that I know of is Ron Paul and I don`t think he is contending for a Republican nomination. In Ireland, we have the same problem, nobody worth voting for.

After the abysmal turnout for the recent by-election, there was a poll to see how many favoured compulsory voting. It would be wrong to impose such an obligation when every candidate is unsuitable. Sure, some people might think they are worth a vote but I don`t, if they tried to force me to vote, I would spoil my ballot paper.

The impeachment will fail. I think Trump will go on to win a second term. That is not good but there are no good choices for US President that I know of. Democrats are out and the only good Republican that I know of is Ron Paul and I don`t think he is contending for a Republican nomination. In Ireland, we have the same problem, nobody worth voting for.

After the abysmal turnout for the recent by-election, there was a poll to see how many favoured compulsory voting. It would be wrong to impose such an obligation when every candidate is unsuitable. Sure, some people might think they are worth a vote but I don`t, if they tried to force me to vote, I would spoil my ballot paper.

Oh jesus, this should be a sticky at this stage. Trump is impeached, end of. He has not been removed yet, that will be decided at the senate trial. But to say impeachment has failed, or he's not impeached is just blatantly incorrect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Trumps brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Oh jesus, this should be a sticky at this stage. Trump is impeached, end of. He has not been removed yet, that will be decided at the senate trial. But to say impeachment has failed, or he's not impeached is just blatantly incorrect

Sure but what does it matter if it doesn`t end with his removal him from office.

(he is still impeached)
    https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1207839832992604160?s=19

Well take it up with the Dems own legal expert witness Noah Fieldman then. It's his take on it and as far as I can see while some disagree with him it certainly hasn't been "debunked".

Well take it up with the Dems own legal expert witness Noah Fieldman then. It's his take on it and as far as I can see while some disagree with him it certainly hasn't been "debunked".

He was a witness called to the judiciary committee, I don't believe he's the 'Dem's legal expert'. Also if you actually read the article, it's an opinion piece, not fact. Just like we are all entitled to our opinions, it does make it fact.
    Article I, Section 2, Clause 5 provides:

The House of Representatives ... shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

This also was upheld by the Supreme Court to mean exactly what it says in Nixon v. U.S., 506 U.S. 224

He was a witness called to the judiciary committee, I don't believe he's the 'Dem's legal expert'. Also if you actually read the article, it's an opinion piece, not fact. Just like we are all entitled to our opinions, it does make it fact.

This also was upheld by the Supreme Court to mean exactly what it says in Nixon v. U.S., 506 U.S. 224

He was called by the Dems as a constitutional expert, take from that what you will. I also never claimed it was anything other than what it was. You jumped in with the “debunked” nonsense.

If you can show me where I said the House doesn’t have sole power of impeachment you may have a point. Didn’t happen though and as per usual it ends up with people having arguments with themselves about something no one else argued.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭wildeside

Trump was never going to be removed from office because the Senate are just not going to do that.

So can someone please explain to me how this sh1tshow will not end up benefitting Trump in 2020?

I mean seriously, you don't have to be a gifted political strategist to see how Trump is going to beat the Dems over the head with this and Russia-gate (the prequel).

It 'king laughable. Trump will win in 2020 now and the Dems and their cheerleaders will only have themselves to blame.

Unless Bernie/Tulsi can do a job on him, which I hope they do. But the DNC will try and destroy them because they're not bought and paid for establishment tools.

wildeside wrote: »
    Trump was never going to be removed from office because the Senate are just not going to do that.

So can someone please explain to me how this sh1tshow will not end up benefitting Trump in 2020?

I mean seriously, you don't have to be a gifted political strategist to see how Trump is going to beat the Dems over the head with this and Russia-gate (the prequel).

It 'king laughable. Trump will win in 2020 now and the Dems and their cheerleaders will only have themselves to blame.

Unless Bernie/Tulsi can do a job on him, which I hope they do. But the DNC will try and destroy them because they're not bought and paid for establishment tools.

This is only Act 1 for the Dems. If they lose 2020 but gain in the Senate then expect to see a historic second impeachment of a president.

The DNC wouldn't even allow Tulsi join recent debates because they refused to accept a poll from a well established newspaper that showed here support has gained enough to qualify. Unfortunately the DNC is as rotten as the GOP at this stage and they don't even try to hide it.

• Advertisement

This is only Act 1 for the Dems. If they lose 2020 but gain in the Senate then expect to see a historic second impeachment of a president.

I imagine if Trump does something that warrants impeachment they will.

The chances of that happening are quite high, so I imagine they have discussed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,540 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

In spite of all the big talk of getting rid of Trump the Democrats couldn't even find a credible candidate to run against him next year.

It's doubtful they will take the Senate next time round either.

Despite the fact that he hasn't really done much to improve peoples lives in the rural towns across america his support remains strong there and hatred of the liberal NY types will win him the votes he needs.

In spite of all the big talk of getting rid of Trump the Democrats couldn't even find a credible candidate to run against him next year.

It's doubtful they will take the Senate next time round either.

Despite the fact that he hasn't really done much to improve peoples lives in the rural towns across america his support remains strong there and hatred of the liberal NY types will win him the votes he needs.

Biden is most certainly a credible candidate and will win the nomination IMO.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_biden-6247.html

The polls* suggest Biden in a head to head with Trump.

* Polls can be a load of shít.

I'd say it will be the most divisive brutal election in history, because this time the Democrats will not be "going high".

Biden is most certainly a credible candidate and will win the nomination IMO.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_biden-6247.html

The polls* suggest Biden in a head to head with Trump.

* Polls can be a load of shít.

I'd say it will be the most divisive brutal election in history, because this time the Democrats will not be "going high".

Biden is bat shïte crazy and needs to be retired by his family. He may have the numbers now but will fold like a cheap suit if he has to step up as THE candidate to go head to head with Trump.

When was the last time the Dems went "high"?
    They rigged their own primary last time out and employed an ex-British spy to gather dirt in Russia about an opponent.
    I honestly believe Bernie would have beaten Trump last time around yet they put an even more hated candidate to run against him.

Biden is bat shïte crazy and needs to be retired by his family. He may have the numbers now but will fold like a cheap suit if he has to step up as THE candidate to go head to head with Trump.

What are you basing that on?

Or is it just soundbites?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Trump will stroll to his second term, the economy is on fire over there

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the economy is on fire over there

Accurate..

What are you basing that on?

Or is it just soundbites?

Based on watching him over this past few weeks. He's seriously struggling to string a sentence together lately and is being managed very carefully by his handlers. The stress and physical exertion might be too much for him.

Based on watching him over this past few weeks. He's seriously struggling to string a sentence together lately and is being managed very carefully by his handlers. The stress and physical exertion might be too much for him.

If anything he is far more coherent and on point the past few weeks, also physical exertion? I imagine that applies to Obese Fast Foot, Cola Trump too?

Also aren't you team Bernie?

The lad that just had a heart attack. :P

It's par for course when you have a bunch of white dudes I suppose.

• Advertisement

Uh huh. Uh huh.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/joe-biden-won-december-democratic-debate-by-a-lot-according-to-new-poll/

Advertisement