Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Donald Trump - Formal Impeachment Inquiry Announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

notobtuse wrote: »
    Interesting chain of events now that it is being reported in Bolton’s book that, according to him, Trump did tie the temporary hold on Ukrainian money to a Biden investigation.

Democrats are now chomping at the bit!

It seems Democrats are now interested in four witnesses testimonies: Mick Mulvaney, Robert Blair, John Bolton, and Michael Duffey. The White House will surely make claims of executive privilege of all four. The Democrats might only get Blair and Duffey to testify as executive privilege claims are their strongest when the people involved have regular dealings with the president and are involved with providing advice as in Bolton and Mulvaney. Blair and Duffey only carried out the president’s directive and implemented a hold on aid to Ukraine. Also, claims of executive privilege are strongest when they involve military or diplomatic secrets matters.

So is John Bolton a pissed off ex-employee or evil genius? The ‘bombshell’ is sure to make his new book an instant bestseller and make him lots of money. But Bolton is also a strong constitutionalist, and it is highly doubtful he’d defy claims of executive privilege by the president. If he's just pissed at Trump he'll never work in Washington again, unless he becomes the new darling of MSNBC or CNN, but then it will only be short term.

You can't claim executive privilege for senate impeachments, Nixon tried and failed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

manual_man wrote: »
    Correction: what i meant to say is that they have issued a greater number of subpoenas than the number of bills that have been passed into law

As for your reply to which i'm responding now: I've reported it. We can all make mistakes or simply disagree on issues, but i think a simple rule is to not make things personal in the way you just did.

I didn't make it personal, you ignored the question when asked, so I think it was fair to say it throws other claims into doubt until that was still unaddressed.
    As for bills not being enacted: The parties simply aren't working together, you can't reasonably point the blame at one party.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Interesting chain of events now that it is being reported in Bolton’s book that, according to him, Trump did tie the temporary hold on Ukrainian money to a Biden investigation.

Pretty funny his defense team are continuing on with their lies today with that massive elephant in the room watching them.

It's hilarious actually.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

yeah that is exactly how it happens. as simple as that. :rolleyes:

Depends on the State, as different States have different standards, but it is a definite possibility in a few of them. (Some States require that the petition be brought to the court by police, others, the ex-girlfriend can do it) Note that as these are civil, not criminal issues, the respondent has no right to an attorney. Indeed, in some States, there is no requirement that anyone even ask the respondent to show up at the court to put up a defense.

For this reason, for example, the ACLU objected to the recent Red Flag Law signed into force by California.
    https://ktla.com/2019/10/11/new-california-law-adopts-broadest-rules-for-seizing-guns-in-the-u-s/

The ACLU said the bill “poses a significant threat to civil liberties” because orders can be sought before gun owners have an opportunity to contest the requests.

Those allowed to request orders under the new law may “lack the relationship or skills required to make an appropriate assessment,” the ACLU said.

Other states they have other positions. They were neutral on Colorado's implementation as they felt there were enough due process protections, but were very opposed to what Rhode Island put forward, until it was watered down a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

kowloon wrote: »
    I didn't make it personal, you ignored the question when asked, so I think it was fair to say it throws other claims into doubt until that was still unaddressed.
    As for bills not being enacted: The parties simply aren't working together, you can't reasonably point the blame at one party.
    Well it seemed personal to me. I don't answer every question on here, and i don't expect anyone else to do likewise. However if i've made a mistake and realize it then i'll admit to it.

You're right they aren't working together. It's certainly not good. And i've said that i can understand people questioning McConnell's decision re. Garland (while also explaining that it wouldn't in reality have made any actual difference). I've pointed out other facts too. Senate Democrats actions in 2013 really set the tone for everything that has followed. Bitter partisanship.

And Senate Democrats unprecedented and deliberate slow-walking of Trump's judicial nominations ever since he took office was always going to add to the hostility - and so McConnell and Senate Republicans have, i guess, responded in kind as regards legislation passed through the House since Democrats took control in 2018...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Democrats are now chomping at the bit!

It seems Democrats are now interested in four witnesses testimonies: Mick Mulvaney, Robert Blair, John Bolton, and Michael Duffey. The White House will surely make claims of executive privilege of all four. The Democrats might only get Blair and Duffey to testify as executive privilege claims are their strongest when the people involved have regular dealings with the president and are involved with providing advice as in Bolton and Mulvaney. Blair and Duffey only carried out the president’s directive and implemented a hold on aid to Ukraine. Also, claims of executive privilege are strongest when they involve military or diplomatic secrets matters.

So is John Bolton a pissed off ex-employee or evil genius? The ‘bombshell’ is sure to make his new book an instant bestseller and make him lots of money. But Bolton is also a strong constitutionalist, and it is highly doubtful he’d defy claims of executive privilege by the president. If he's just pissed at Trump he'll never work in Washington again, unless he becomes the new darling of MSNBC or CNN, but then it will only be short term.

trump has publicly commented on boltons statements. executive privilege is out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Well it seemed personal to me. I don't answer every question on here, and i don't expect anyone else to do likewise. However if i've made a mistake and realize it then i'll admit to it.

Fair enough, my apologies if my post was a little barbed.

And Senate Democrats unprecedented and deliberate slow-walking of Trump's judicial nominations ever since he took office was always going to add to the hostility - and so McConnell and Senate Republicans have, i guess, responded in kind as regards legislation passed through the House since Democrats took control in 2018...

That's the second time you have stated that, it's simply not true.

The Republicans did it whole sale under Obama.

It is the reason the filibuster for lower judges was done away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

I thought the defence was decent there. Starr was meandering, eloquent but lacked relevance in the most part. The second guy put forward a rationale as to why there was a delay, that a meeting did occur and testimony that conflicted with the House Managers line. However, the context neglected the timing of a white blower and it being public knowledge of what was being alleged. Still though doing a decent job with what they've been handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

duploelabs wrote: »
    You can't claim executive privilege for senate impeachments, Nixon tried and failed
    I believe you are incorrect that a president can't claim executive privilege in a senate impeachment when it comes to witnesses.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    I thought the defence was decent there. Starr was meandering, eloquent but lacked relevance in the most part. The second guy put forward a rationale as to why there was a delay, that a meeting did occur and testimony that conflicted with the House Managers line. However, the context neglected the timing of a white blower and it being public knowledge of what was being alleged. Still though doing a decent job with what they've been handed.
    Then this article, from January 2017, gave public knowledge of Ukrainian involvement in the US 2016 election and reason for Trump to suspect corruption, and to do what was within his power to make sure public money was spent wisely.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/ukraine-sabotage-trump-backfire-233446

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

I believe you are incorrect that a president can't claim executive privilege in a senate impeachment when it comes to witnesses.

Nope
    July 9, the day following oral arguments, all eight justices (Justice William H. Rehnquist recused himself due to his close association with several Watergate conspirators, including Attorneys General John Mitchell and Richard Kleindienst, prior to his appointment to the Court) indicated to each other that they would rule against the president.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Nixon

and nope

https://www.justsecurity.org/68104/executive-privilege-is-no-bar-to-john-boltons-testimony-in-the-senate/

trump has publicly commented on boltons statements. executive privilege is out the window

trump cannot now claim executive privilege on boltons statements

Then this article, from January 2017, gave public knowledge of Ukrainian involvement in the US 2016 election and reason for Trump to suspect corruption, and to do what was within his power to make sure public money was spent wisely.

That's been proven incorrect and a plant by the IRA

Seriously this conspiracy theory again? :rolleyes:

It's been debunked by Trumps own people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Boggles wrote: »
    That's the second time you have stated that, it's simply not true.

The Republicans did it whole sale under Obama.

It is the reason the filibuster for lower judges was done away with.

The reason Democrats did away with the filibuster was not to do with slow-walking... It was to do with Democrats nominating judges who weren't receiving the support of a sufficient number of Senators... despite the Democrats having a 53-47 majority at the time. They were frustrated, and in making the ill conceived rule change, only ensured a widening of partisan divide.

What the trial and the submitted evudence has patently demonstrated and this is not disputed by the White House, US intelligence agencies and most accurately put by the FBI head, is that there is no (credible) indication that Ukraine interfered in the 2016 elections. It is nothing but Kremlin propaganda designed solely to take the spotlight of Russian actions which indeed are ongoing.

That's been proven incorrect and a plant by the IRA
    Please show us proof it was incorrect. Opinions don't count.

The reason Democrats did away with the filibuster was not to do with slow-walking... It was to do with Democrats nominating judges who weren't receiving the support of a sufficient number of Senators... despite the Democrats having a 53-47 majority at the time. They were frustrated, and in making the ill conceived rule change, only ensured a widening of partisan divide.

Saying it yet again doesn't make it true, they indulged in slow walking wholesale and then just outright didn't confirm any picks.

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/05/trumps-hollow-complaint/

Nominees.png

So for the last time you are very much incorrect.

Please show us proof it was incorrect. Opinions don't count.

See wohoos reply

• Advertisement

See wohoos reply
    I did. Still looking for the proof.

So, Alexander Vindman (one of the Democrat’s key witnesses who is trying to help Democrats impeach the President) has a twin brother in charge of reviewing all NSC publications including John Bolton’s unpublished manuscript. And suddenly it is leaked to the New York Times. And this guy is supposed to be the ethics lawyer for the NSC?

I’m suuuuuuure the manuscript being leaked to the New York Times was purely coincidental. ;)

I did. Still looking for the proof.
    Who hacked the DNC in 2016? The answer to that answers your question. If you believe it was Russia, then the crowdstrike theory is false and note that investigations have determined it was Russia. However if you believe it was Ukraine, then you believe the crowdstrike theory for which there is no evidence. This is what Trump and his pals seem to believe.

Thanks

"The Kremlin may have been.."

Somewhat lacking in verifiable details, I’d say. Were these agencies and sources the same one’s who claimed they had solid proof that Trump colluded with Russia?

Thanks

Somewhat lacking in verifiable details, I’d say. Were these agencies and sources the same one’s who claimed they had solid proof that Trump colluded with Russia?

I suppose you know more than the director of the FBI then?

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/12/09/fbi-director-wray-says-no-indication-ukraine-interference-2016-election/4380050002/

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/473766-fbi-head-rejects-claims-of-ukrainian-2016-interference

I know one former director of the FBI who is looking at potential jail time.

Rudy Giuliani stated over the weekend he has vast amounts of evidence to prove there was corruption by Ukraine and the Bidens and will be presenting it over the next several weeks.

It would be shocking if once again all this reporting by our wonderful media was wrong… NOT! I think we all have reason to be a little leery of what came out of the FBI regarding Trump before 2019. Let’s see what Rudy has.

I know one former director of the FBI who is looking at potential jail time.

Rudy Giuliani stated over the weekend he has vast amounts of evidence to prove there was corruption by Ukraine and the Bidens and will be presenting it over the next several weeks.

It would be shocking if once again all this reporting by our wonderful media was wrong… NOT! I think we all have reason to be a little leery of what came out of the FBI regarding Trump before 2019. Let’s see what Rudy has.

sure he does. rudy is really honest and truthful

sure he does. rudy is really honest and truthful
    And the FBI was? Three years of investigations based on lies by the FBI and sources that were fake. But that's okay, I guess.

The report by Wray came out in Dec 2019... five months after the call from Trump regarding Ukraine. Trump acted on the information he thought was reasonable at the time. Or is it okay for everyone else but Trump to act on information deemed plausible at the time?

• Advertisement

Thanks

We know Trump believes it, he's said as much, it in part explains his hard for Bidens and Ukraine. Problem is, no evidence and he really should listen to his own people. But putin says so, so good enough for Trump. However this erroneous belief by Trump is precisely the thing that has landed himself in this whole mess. It's one thing for a random poster on here to be spouting conspiracy theories, it becomes a problem when the US president also is motivated by it, and acts contrary to actual US foreign policy, such is his dislike of Biden.

Interestingly we saw Trumps defence talking for about half a hour about Hunter Biden and a mere 5 minutes about Trumps official reasons for delaying aid to Ukraine. The actual defence, 5 minutes. Whataboutery, as much time as possible.

Advertisement