Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Donald Trump - Formal Impeachment Inquiry Announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭FreeThePants

JRant wrote: »
    Wouldn't matter a jot what they said with the way the DNC are openly rigging the Iowa caucus.

It's definitely a *****t show to put it mildly, and I definitely would not rule out hijinx. But if they redo the caucus and sanders wins, would that mean they must have rigged it in his favour?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

valoren wrote: »
    And having your party have a majority in the Senate also becomes a political tool going forward because the incumbent President can engage in high crimes and misdemeanors and obstruct justice because what they do is in the national interest and they are immune from removal via impeachment.
    Actually, having control of the Senate gives the GOP the ability to counter democrats dirty underhanded tricks and get to the truth. It could aslo give them a upper hand in some matters come election to counter the damage Romney has done.

Concocting phony whistleblower complaints is the democrats new weapon of choice. But republicans need to understand they HAVE to fight just like democrats do.

The Senate should immediately launch into investigations to get to the bottom of the democrat's impeachment hoax... And ultimately pin the disgrace on the democrat party that dragged our nation through three years of misery because of their dirty deeds.

The Senate must immediately announce they are investigating Joe Biden, Hunter Biden, and Burisma’s involvement in the quid pro quo. Also, Adam Schiff for engineering the whistleblower complaint, Eric Ciaramella for working with people on Schiff's staff that wanted to take Trump down and who was aware of the Bidens dealings in Ukraine in 2016 and became a key part in the Democrats playbook to protect the Bidens, and the intelligence community inspector general Michael Atkinson who for some unknown reason found the whistleblower's second hand information complaint credible and sent it to Congress.

If the GOP decides to acquit and move on they will lose the Senate and have no hopes of gaining back the House. Trump taught them how to fight... They need to have learned!

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's definitely a *****t show to put it mildly, and I definitely would not rule out hijinx. But if they redo the caucus and sanders wins, would that mean they must have rigged it in his favour?

I hadn't heard they were planning on redoing it. The last update I read was that the DNC themselves were going to go in and count the last of the votes.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,218 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Boggles wrote:
    So Nancy tearing up some sheets will send Democratic Voters over to an actual verifiable scumbag?

No, no it won't. Stop talking nonsense.
    They just won't vote.
    What's with this childish attempt at oneupmanship in every post?

I hadn't heard they were planning on redoing it. The last update I read was that the DNC themselves were going to go in and count the last of the votes.
    You're right, I misread is as rescaucus when he tweeted about recanvassing. For anyone interested, this is what it means vs a recount: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/us/politics/iowa-recanvass-meaning.amp.html

I'm thinking at this point that the DNC, whether they want sanders to win or not, are actually desperate for him to win Iowa. The optics of anything else would basically end the election for them before it even started (unless Sanders went on to get the nomination without Iowa, which if they do not want him is of course not something the DNC would be wishing for).

• Advertisement

Given how divisive Trump is, I would imagine anyone that anyone voting against him will do so even if they don't approve of her ripping up the speech. On top of that, it also plays into how angry so many people are with him, and catching the mood in politics is always hugely important at bringing people go the polls.

All in all though, I doubt it has much effect either way. What it did do was suffocate trunso SOTU though, I've not heard a peep on what he talked about and instead am seeing stories on this week's rage induced tweet storm (guest fo the week: Nancy Pelosi). Those rage tweets never, ever make him look good to anyone but the types that would vote for even Roy pedophile Moore simply because of the letter beside his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Get impeached?
    Impeachment is a political charge or political indictment, and unless there's a subsequent conviction, it's meaningless. You might as well be boasting about someone being charged after they have been found not guilty. Pelosi sounds childish when she says that Trump will be "impeached forever". It's absurd.

And especially so in this particular case considering just who it is that has been responsible for instigating this impeachment: a group politicians who have not stopped accusing Trump of everything bar the kidnapping of Shergar since he took office three years ago. Many of whom spoke publicly of how their goal was to impeach him.

The left along with their propaganda wing (the msm) set their stall out within days of his inauguration:

wapo7777.jpg

There was nothing genuine about this attempt to remove Trump from office. It was bogus from the get-go and engaged in purely for political purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,523 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Impeachment is a political charge or political indictment, and unless there's a subsequent conviction, it's meaningless. You might as well be boasting about someone being charged after they have been found not guilty. Pelosi sounds childish when she says that Trump will be "impeached forever". It's absurd.

And especially so in this particular case considering just who it is that has been responsible for instigating this impeachment: a group politicians who have not stopped accusing Trump of everything bar the kidnapping of Shergar since he took office three years ago. Many of whom spoke publicly of how their goal was to impeach him.

The left along with their propaganda wing (the msm) set their stall out within days of his inauguration:

There was nothing genuine about this attempt to remove Trump from office. It was bogus from the get-go and engaged in purely for political purposes.

So now you are telling us that neither Clinton nor Johnson were never really impeached?

February 12, Clinton was acquitted on both counts as neither received the necessary two-thirds majority vote of the senators present for conviction and removal from office
    Johnson became the first American president to be impeached on March 2–3, 1868, when the House formally adopted the articles of impeachment and forwarded them to the United States Senate for adjudication. The trial in the Senate began three days later, with Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase presiding. On May 16, the Senate did not convict Johnson on one of the articles, with the 35–19 vote in favor of conviction falling short of the necessary two-thirds majority by a single vote. A 10-day recess was called before attempting to convict him on additional articles. The delay did not change the outcome, however, as on May 26, the Senate did not convict the president on two articles, both by the same margin, after which the trial was adjourned

Trying to change history in a last desperate attempt to defend Trump, laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Clinton was acquitted based on the Senate seeing all available evidence and witnesses. Personally I think Clinton should have resigned.

Trump of course wasn't. For one simple reason. He was guilty based on the available evidence as multiple GOP senators have said. Getting the likes of Bolton in would have hammered home the guilt and made it impossible for Senators to explain their vote.

Romney is the first Senator to vote against a party leader in an impeachment trial.

So partisan impeachment goes out the window.

It was a partisan acquittal of course.

But the fact remains he is only the 3rd president in history to have been impeached. That is a big deal, and by accounts especially for Donny Boy.

notobtuse wrote: »
    It now makes sense why Romney wrote other Senators personal notes regarding his vote to convict Trump in the impeachment farce... basically being ‘Sorry for screwing your chances for reelection in November.’ One of my state senators explained it. Romney said he expects “extraordinary consequences” from his vote. But those consequences won’t really affect Romney. Romney is US Senator for another four years and is rich enough not to have anything to worry about after that. It’s the vulnerable Senate republicans up for reelection this November who are getting hung out to dry with Romney’s vote. Romney played right into Chuck Schumer’s hands. Schumer is going to play it as Romney’s vote to convict is the reason all Republican senators are nothing more than Trump’s handmaidens. “I trust that we have all followed the dictates of our conscience” is going to appear in every one of the democrat ads running for the Senate. Looks like Romney will be eating his lunches alone for now on.

Romney with his vote will be on the right side of history.

The GOP who have sold their soul to be the Big Bad Orange Man, won't.

If they don't get reelected in November that's their fault.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    They just won't vote.

Based on?

What tangible evidence have you that Pelosi tearing up sheets will put Democratic Voters off and will make them not vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

notobtuse wrote: »
    Actually, having control of the Senate gives the GOP the ability to counter democrats dirty underhanded tricks and get to the truth. It could aslo give them a upper hand in some matters come election to counter the damage Romney has done.

Concocting phony whistleblower complaints is the democrats new weapon of choice. But republicans need to understand they HAVE to fight just like democrats do.

The Senate should immediately launch into investigations to get to the bottom of the democrat's impeachment hoax... And ultimately pin the disgrace on the democrat party that dragged our nation through three years of misery because of their dirty deeds.

The Senate must immediately announce they are investigating Joe Biden, Hunter Biden, and Burisma’s involvement in the quid pro quo. Also, Adam Schiff for engineering the whistleblower complaint, Eric Ciaramella for working with people on Schiff's staff that wanted to take Trump down and who was aware of the Bidens dealings in Ukraine in 2016 and became a key part in the Democrats playbook to protect the Bidens, and the intelligence community inspector general Michael Atkinson who for some unknown reason found the whistleblower's second hand information complaint credible and sent it to Congress.

If the GOP decides to acquit and move on they will lose the Senate and have no hopes of gaining back the House. Trump taught them how to fight... They need to have learned!

You are outing yourself as a troll now or you actually believe all that stuff and watch Hanity on repeat

If you believe all that stuff I think your wife needs to intervene and take away your internet and Fox news access because all you are spouting is conspiracy stuff that was trying to deflect from what Don really did. As I have not really heard many senators defend his actual actions, in fact a few have come out and said it was wrong (in otherwords he abused his power) but they didnt have the courage to vote that way as their own political careers mean more to them than the rule of law in their country ask a big Orange guy once said SAD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭ebbsy

valoren wrote: »
    OJ got "acquitted" too let's not forget. Just because you're officialy not guilty doesn't mean you didn't actually do it.

OJ was found not guilty by a jury in a court of law.

If you cannot accept that then you might be better off moving to Mars or somewhere similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Boggles wrote: »
    Romney with his vote will be on the right side of history.

The GOP who have sold their soul to be the Big Bad Orange Man, won't.

If they don't get reelected in November that's their fault.

The issue is, almost all of them will be re-elected. They'll face no consequences for putting party over country, and no real change will be made. It's only the key few seats that might give the Dems the Senate majority that really matter at this stage, far more than the presidency itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭ebbsy

kilns wrote: »
    You are outing yourself as a troll now or you actually believe all that stuff and watch Hanity on repeat

If you believe all that stuff I think your wife needs to intervene and take away your internet and Fox news access because all you are spouting is conspiracy stuff that was trying to deflect from what Don really did. As I have not really heard many senators defend his actual actions, in fact a few have come out and said it was wrong (in otherwords he abused his power) but they didnt have the courage to vote that way as their own political careers mean more to them than the rule of law in their country ask a big Orange guy once said SAD

How is being a Trump supporter a Troll ?

4 more years coming, followed by his son hopefully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I don't know much about politics and the variables in American politics.

But Trump seems to come up trumps in every obstacle put in front of him.

We might not like the way he presents himself and his old school get the job done no matter what.

But he has some pair of balls on him and he has no fear of his opposition.

A great leader needs to be tough and not afraid of offending the perpetually offended, I get laughed at slagged off for being a greedy bisexual man by my work colleagues and I enjoy the banter. Because its not undermining my potential and lustre to rise above it. My alpha friends and work colleagues still go fishing and hiking with me.
    We still go out pruning trees and chopping blocks together, eat together and trust each other.

If im going to buy a chainsaw, im not going to buy one which would break going through butter.

Im Liberal in a lot of ways but I respect people who are tough, ignorant and a bit thick in some peoples eyes.
    Because putting principles before personality is the way I rock.

I don't like everything Trump does or says.

But I admire him and people like him, they're different but we need strong people in society.

After all people like Trump keep the moaners and sensitive lefties distracted by showing up their lack of leadership and acceptance of others.

I know there's people who can't let go of their hate and vitriol for Trump and people like him.

But those type of men and women seem to get on in life.

If one's going to say they're Liberals then be liberal and not miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The whole thing is a game, they all play it.

I don't believe there is any real urgency on the part of the Democrats to preserve the integrity institution of the presidency or anything like that. Trump gave them enough material to turn the screw and they did. They must have known acquittal was the almost certain outcome, and went ahead anyway, so they were happy to put him through the wringer. I still think it worked out better for Trump than for them, but there you go.

Just as Clinton gave the Republicans enough to go after him, and they did, even though they never got near actually removing him from office.

You could probably look at most of the people in the senate and congress and find them saying the exact opposite stuff just as piously years ago for Clinton's impeachment. Democrats aghast at Trump's womanising who were ambivalent about Clinton, and Republicans aghast at Clinton's actions that damaged of the integrity of the presidency, but remained curiously silent about Trump. None of it matters, just point scoring.

Even Romney's apparent 'integrity' is something I'd question. Just like everything else, I'd guess that at the bottom of his actions is a calculation of how it works out best for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

In a way, an acquittal followed by some absolute bombshells from Bolton would be the best result for the Democrats, as it would bring not just Trump, but all the Republicans who didn't need Bolton's testimony back under the microscope.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yawn! Not sure why people even care about him still.

Just read there he was acquitted, not surprised. Its the USA, they put him there in the first place, they have another 4 years to look forward to yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Trump supporters seem to care more about 'owning the libs' than any actual good they believe Trump is doing for them. It will end in tears

• Advertisement

So now you are telling us that neither Clinton nor Johnson were never really impeached?

Trying to change history in a last desperate attempt to defend Trump, laughable.

At no stage did I say or suggest that Trump was not really impeached. What a bizarre reply. Reread my post. I said that someone who is charged is not automatically guilty of doing something wrong and so it's absurd to say either that 1) they are 'impeached forever' or 2) that they must have done something wrong to have gotten themselves impeached, which was the comment made.
    But the fact remains he is only the 3rd president in history to have been impeached. That is a big deal, and by accounts especially for Donny Boy.

See, what you don't get is that the attitude coming off your post is the attitude that is coming of the democratic party right now and you (and the left at large) seem oblivious to it. There's this childish 'We impeached you, nah nah nah neh neh' subtext to it all and it's not a good look. Pelosi ripping up the SOTU just underscored it, worldwide. Over the last couple of days I have had people I know who have no interest in US politics ask me things such as did I see 'that nut rip up the papers behind Trump'.

So no, it's not this stain on his tenure just because the democrats have done this and attempted to remove a president from office just because they had the numbers in congress to do it.

At no stage did I say or suggest that Trump was not really impeached. What a bizarre reply. Reread my post. I said that someone who is charged is not automatically guilty of doing something wrong and so it's absurd to say either that 1) they are 'impeached forever' or 2) that they must have done something wrong to have gotten themselves impeached, which was the comment made.

See, what you don't get is that the attitude coming off your post is the attitude that is coming of the democratic party right now and you (and the left at large) seem oblivious to it. There's this childish 'We impeached you, nah nah nah neh neh' subtext to it all and it's not a good look. Pelosi ripping up the SOTU just underscored it, worldwide. Over the last couple of days I have had people I know who have no interest in US politics ask me things such as did I see 'that nut rip up the papers behind Trump'.

So no, it's not this stain on his tenure just because the democrats have done this and attempted to remove a president from office just because they had the numbers in congress to do it.

So we agree

Trump was impeached

And it will forever be next to his name.

So no, it's not this stain on his tenure that the democrats have done this and attempted to remove a president from office just because they had the number in congress to do it.

"The left at large" :pac: What are you the "right at large"?

You are an Irish citizen living in Ireland will you get a grip FFS.

Again in case you missed it.
    Romney is the first Senator to vote against a party leader in an impeachment trial.

So partisan impeachment goes out the window.

It was a partisan acquittal of course.

Again still talking about Nancy, she does rattle the Big Bad Orange Man and his cheerleaders.

"The left at large" :pac: What are you the "right at large"?
    I'm a centrist, mostly - thanks for asking - and the left are very much at large in western society, yes. To suggest that lefties are not in Ireland is absurd. Indeed not too far from us in Britain lefties are responsible for the public voting to leave the EU. The regressive left is like a cancer in our society. A malignancy that needs removing from anywhere which it is found before it spreads further. In the states one only has to look at the negative effect the radical leftists have had on congress to see how destructive they are. Not that we don't have them here of course, as we surely do, just in less numbers.
    Again still talking about Nancy, she does rattle the Big Bad Orange Man and his cheerleaders.

Eh, she initiated the impeachment. Are we not to mention her now :confused:
    And it will forever be next to his name.

As too will the fact that he was acquitted on both counts.

I'm a centrist, mostly - thanks for asking - and the left are very much at large in western society, yes. To suggest that lefties are not in Ireland is absurd. Indeed not too far from us in Britain lefties are responsible for the public voting to leave the EU. The regressive left is like a cancer in our society. A malignancy that needs removing from anywhere which it is found before he spreads further. In the states one only has to look at the negative effect the radical leftists have had on congress to see how destructive they are. Not that we don't have them here of course, as we surely do, just in less numbers.

giphy.gif

Fill your boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

The thing about Trump is that if he was George W Bush 2.0 then nobody would be interested beyond thinking he was a Republican president doing Republican presidential things. There is a visceral reaction from rational people to him because he is, to put it bluntly, a bullying asshole who is too thick to appreciate that he's a dumbass. As President, he'd make similar gaffes as Bush did and we'd all happily chortle to ourselves about what an idiot and a moron he is but Trump is unique. He has absolutely zero charisma, charm or positive personality traits. There is nothing of substance to the man, he is your classic see-you-next-tuesday. You could despise Obama and Clinton but they at least had a "magnificent bastard" persona and a charm about them. You could publically hate them but privately respect them. Trump enjoys neither sentiment. He is a spoofer writ large, a con man, a pathological liar and a celebrated venal malignant narcissist. His psychological projections are the best and most entertaining part. Nervous, Sleepy, Low Energy, Lyin', Dumbo, Little, Mini, Crazy, Crooked, Shady, Slimey, Creepy, Cheatin'. All apply to Trump.

He ran his self-aggrandising election campaign on a basic populist platform but his unique selling point to the electorate was that he was this uber successful, super tough negotiator who was a "billionaire" and would thus not be in the pockets of any corporations as he would hire the very best people to drain the swamp and make America great again. It was a brilliant pitch to wearisome people and he was lucky to be running against a loathsome figure in Clinton who was even despised by factions in her own party. His unique selling point was and should have been a good thing. Except it's not true at all. His father was a self-made man and Trump inherited both the business, the underhanded tactics and the hundreds of millions of dollars Fred Trump left to him. To claim Trump is a successful business man is disingenuous. He won't release his tax returns for very good reason as examination of them will torpedo the idea he is a billionaire. The man legitimately puts a value on his name as a "brand" and believes it's worth over a billion. He took over his father's business, benefited from a NYC real estate boom in the late 70's/early 80's, confused what was actually a bullmarket as being his brains and he leveraged himself up to the eyes balls in debt. When the tide went out, he was swimming naked but he was the grateful benefactor of the old adage that when you owe the bank a million, it's your problem, when you owe the banks a billion, it's their problem. He was like an inverse plutocrat back then i.e. I'll use my lack of money to bully my way out of this. Now had he actually been a successful business man with a planet sized ego then we wouldn't have the same visceral reaction. His election would have been touted as a stunning and unprecedented success. It's the fact that he is a racist, sexist bull ****ter that rankles with neutral, rational minded people. He is a paper thin stereotypical school yard bully. It's the cult like absolutist thinking that he encourages that is infuriating. Narcissistic personality disorder is palpable in him and it's telling that Trump is now playing the victim in the whole impeachment process. He is wounded, hurt. Diddums. The guy is plainly and categorically guilty of both abuse of power and obstruction of justice. Only one GOP member stuck their head above the parapet and told it as it is. He had his hands in the cookie jar by pressing for Zelensky to just give him a quotable, base friendly accusation against "Sleepy" Joe. "Hey everyone, the Ukrainian government are investigating the Do-Nothing-Democrats nominee on CORRUPTION charges- LOCK HIM UP!". The mileage that would be derived from that would brilliantly taint Biden. Nobody would have a clue as to the background machinations had Zelensky been strong armed. It would all be complete BS but that's all that was wanted. Give us “official” dirt or you're not getting the aid, capiche? He got caught fair and square and got held accountable by the checks and balances inherent in the US's style of government. That process was exploited to be defined as a base friendly witch hunt. The re-election campaign narrative will now need to change. It will be about getting revenge against the enemy, of giving another middle finger to the "Demmycrats". It's a powerful narrative and it is going to work. The man, whilst being a facile charm vacuum, is good copy. He provokes and goads interest and interest means traffic and traffic means advertising bucks. He might despise the fake news media but, ironically, Trump is good business for them and four more years of this toxic circus will be begrudgingly welcomed.

I'm a centrist, mostly - thanks for asking - and the left are very much at large in western society, yes. To suggest that lefties are not in Ireland is absurd. Indeed not too far from us in Britain lefties are responsible for the public voting to leave the EU. The regressive left is like a cancer in our society. A malignancy that needs removing from anywhere which it is found before he spreads further. In the states one only has to look at the negative effect the radical leftists have had on congress to see how destructive they are. Not that we don't have them here of course, as we surely do, just in less numbers.

As too will the fact that he was acquitted on both counts.

As was Clinton, yet he along with Donny and Johnson will always have "impeached" next to their names.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As was Clinton, yet he along with Donny and Johnson will always have "impeached" next to their names.

Aye. I don't even know why Andrew Johnson was impeached or even if he was acquitted or anything. All I know is, he was impeached. And decades from now, some eejit like me will be hearing "...and Donald Trump, the third US President to ever be impeached..."

Trump supporters seem to care more about 'owning the libs' than any actual good they believe Trump is doing for them.

Well, the good he is doing is hardly up for debate, he's knocking it out of the park on almost every level in that regard, but as for who is trying to own who, it's the other side of the aisle that are making the childish remarks saying impeachment is forever and will always be next to his name etc, so if anyone is trying own anyone, it's the rabid anti-Trumpers.

Let them keep trying though. They face planted trying to prevent Trump getting elected to begin with (exposing themselves as having paid for a salacious dossier of lies, which they leaked to msm to try and influence the vote) then they face planted with the Trump-Russia allegations (embarrassing) and now they once again they faceplant as they showed the world they have little or no integrity and only used the impeachment process as a means of trying to stop Trump getting reelected.

As ever with the democrats, they take a hail mary swing at Trump and ....

Liberals.gif

• Advertisement

Well, the good he is doing is hardly up for debate, he's knocking it out of the park on almost every level in that regard

:pac:
    a salacious dossier of lies

Some of the key points of which have been proven as fact.

As for "salacious" - I imagine you mean the píssíng prostitutes?

Honestly would anyone on the planet be surprised if that were proven true?

We are talking about a guy who raw dogs porn stars whilst his wife is at home nursing their infant son, not to mention he thinks he is "entitled" to sexual assault numerous women.

Advertisement