Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] Compounding pharmacy that will dilute insulin

• 25-09-2019 3:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

Does anyone know of a compounding pharmacy that will dilute insulin, preferably in the Dublin area?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

As a pharmacist, I cannot think of any reason why one would want to dilute insulin, nor have I ever heard of a pharmacy that would have the facilities to do so.

(If a small dose is needed, a small volume is used, rather than diluting it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

There's a Pharmacy near the Eye & Ear hospital in Dublin with an aseptic room for extemp eye drops. They would be the only community pharmacy I know of with the facilities to attempt this. I doubt any Pharmacist would actually do it. I wouldn't

If you are running low on insulin go to a Pharmacy with your insulin and see if you can get an emergency supply. If you haven't gotten an LTI number yet you'll have to pay privately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

As a pharmacist, I cannot think of any reason why one would want to dilute insulin, nor have I ever heard of a pharmacy that would have the facilities to do so.

It's to give more accuracy at small doses

( low carb intake or maybe for small kids/kittens etc )

The supplier should provide diluent or ask them if saline is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

gctest50 wrote: »
    It's to give more accuracy at small doses

( low carb intake or maybe for small kids/kittens etc )

The supplier should provide diluent or ask them if saline is ok

How small a dose are you talking about?

½ unit of insulin may drop a 2yr old by 8 mmol

• Advertisement

This case series describes three young children between 1 and 4 years of age treated by insulin pump.

.......all three had suboptimal blood glucose control (mean HbA1c, 8.1%).

After switching to diluted U10 insulin, HbA1c levels improved at 3 and 9 months (7.3% and 6.7%, respectively).

Moreover, when two of the patients changed back to U100 insulin via pump, HbA1c values deteriorated to 8.5% and 8.7% within 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 joaomajesus

The reason is to be able to do micro dosing. Atm I'm able to do 1/2 units only and that lowers my blood sugar by 1.4mmol/L. Since my target is 4.6mmol/L I can only do a correction at 6mmol/L. If I do a 1/4 unit then I could do a correction at 5.3mmol/L. This would allow me to do a more fine control.

Btw I'm doing very low carb so I use small doses of insulin.

My A1c is at 33mmol/mol and with finer control I believe I could get to the normal a1c of 22.4-24.8.

How small a dose are you talking about?

In my case I'm looking to get to 1/4 of a unit.

A pump will do down to 0.025 units

gctest50 wrote: »
    A pump will do down to 0.025 units

Yes. I know :)

I'm taking care of the LTI and I'll see if I can get a pump. Although I don't think I qualify because my A1C is too low :\

• Advertisement

There's a Pharmacy near the Eye & Ear hospital in Dublin with an aseptic room for extemp eye drops. They would be the only community pharmacy I know of with the facilities to attempt this. I doubt any Pharmacist would actually do it. I wouldn't

If you are running low on insulin go to a Pharmacy with your insulin and see if you can get an emergency supply. If you haven't gotten an LTI number yet you'll have to pay privately.

Cool. Can you tell me which one is it?
    Thanks.

Advertisement