Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horror video games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Not a straight up horror game per say but a plague tale is very tense and creepy at times,would definitely recommend it and I'm a person who was wary of a game having an extra character always at your side to watch over,it actually adds to the scares and dread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Not technically a horror game, but Dying Light - the night time sections instilled geniune fear in me, you'll know why when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Not technically a horror game, but Dying Light - the night time sections instilled geniune fear in me, you'll know why when it happens.

Unless you're living in the zombie apocalypse I'm fine with you including dying light as a horror game
    I pretended I didn't like the game because of the night time sections

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

If System Shock and Bioshock are on the list then Prey should be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Unless you're living in the zombie apocalypse I'm fine with you including dying light as a horror game
    I pretended I didn't like the game because of the night time sections

Ah, its more of a first person melee action game, theres not that many jump scares if you stick to going out by day.

night time though, lord jebus! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Well gonna play me some The Darkness on the 360. Only 1 euro in CEX.
    What a great game.

Anyone else starting to play horror games yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm going to dip into Days Gone again and give Challenge Mode a shot. I will try to give The Last of Us a play again. I'll be on the spirits playing that as I will need spirits to help me get through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Well gonna play me some The Darkness on the 360. Only 1 euro in CEX.
    What a great game.

I actually played the 2nd one first so when I tried to play the first one I just couldn't get over the gameplay

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I couldn't get over the gameplay the first time I played it. At release I thought it was sub par and felt like a relic with some awful enemy AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I think I'm going to finally play Outlast this year. Bought it last year, intending to play it at Halloween and never did. This year for sure!

• Advertisement

• Never forget

I have a hankering to play some crappy fmv game like Phantasmagoria over the Halloween, hopefully gog have a decent sale this year.
    Evil within 1 has been knocking around for a bit too, I'm about halfway through but it keeps falling by the wayside the last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I have a hankering to play some crappy fmv game like Phantasmagoria over the Halloween, hopefully gog have a decent sale this year.
    Evil within 1 has been knocking around for a bit too, I'm about halfway through but it keeps falling by the wayside the last few months

I'd recommend harvester. One of my faves.

I got about 70% through Evil Within 1 and dropped it.

Started SOMA recently but a glitch early on prevented me from progressing and put me off it for a while. Someone claiming to be one of the VAs in the game tuned in to me streaming trying to help but also mentioned some massive spoilers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Someone online recreated P.T in VR, that sounds like something to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Played INSIDE last night, it's proper creepy - very tense throughout, kinda spoiled by the insta-deaths though.

Epic Games Store is giving away Observer & Alan Wake's American Nightmare this week, so 2 horror games for €0.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Played INSIDE last night, it's proper creepy - very tense throughout, kinda spoiled by the insta-deaths though.

Epic Games Store is giving away Observer & Alan Wake's American Nightmare this week, so 2 horror games for €0.00.

Cheers man!
    I kept meaning to play Observer on gamer pass and they took it down the other day! thought it would last to the end of the month. Might as well pick it up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I played Silent Hill 1 and 2 over the Halloween to really get me in the spirit of the season. It was just such a fantastic series.

Speaking of which if anyones interested, I'm running a Silent Hill themed game of Werewolf over on the Forum Games forum starting on November 24th. Anyone who likes Silent Hill and is interested in trying out this here werewolf game that all of Boards.ie has been talking about, should check it out :pac:

Follow the link here : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058027227

Same as in my sig below :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Soma was great, if you like existential horror. There are monsters in it but that's not really where the horror comes from. I think they even released an update that made the monsters non-hostile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Been playing 'The Beast Inside'

Beautiful game. Great tension. Some really good scares. Particularly chapter six.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

J. Marston wrote: »
    Soma was great, if you like existential horror. There are monsters in it but that's not really where the horror comes from. I think they even released an update that made the monsters non-hostile.

I enjoyed the monster sections too though, it's great how you can't look at them or run away, so I'd just be crawling forward with the sound point, praying I'm not eviscerated at any moment until I get around the next corner

• Advertisement

Been playing 'The Beast Inside'

Beautiful game. Great tension. Some really good scares. Particularly chapter six.

Great game, looking forward to seeing more from the devs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so what are we playing this year?

Looking forward to the medium card me out the 10th of December heard Akira yamaoka was on board so I'm down.

Also silent hill 4 was recently re released for pc on got so I'm finally going to play it years after putting it off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Zombie Army Trilogy & Zombie Army Dead War 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

aim to finish off the evil within 2 before the series X is released

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

daheadonu wrote: »
    Looking forward to the medium card me out the 10th of December heard Akira yamaoka was on board so I'm down.

Also silent hill 4 was recently re released for pc on got so I'm finally going to play it years after putting it off

Haven't played any of the SH games. But I do have SH2 Enhanced Edition for PC here, I might finally start it up tonight. Anyone on here played through the original and this PC enhanced version? Much difference?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Haven't played any of the SH games. But I do have SH2 Enhanced Edition for PC here, I might finally start it up tonight. Anyone on here played through the original and this PC enhanced version? Much difference?

I hope you aren't planning to play the HD remaster which is an absolute disaster and instead are going to play the fan patched original PC release?

If it's the HD remaster, don't bother. They ruined the game.

I hope you do get a chance to play it. It's an incredible game. It's narratively way ahead of any other game I can think of. People talk about the last of us as being some kind of high bar of videogame narrative. It isn't, Silent Hill 2 is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Phasmophobia looks like it could be spooky co-op craic.

enhanced edition is actually so good it really makes you appreciate how bad the hd remaster is,it just looks so much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I hope you aren't planning to play the HD remaster which is an absolute disaster and instead are going to play the fan patched original PC release?

If it's the HD remaster, don't bother. They ruined the game.

I hope you do get a chance to play it. It's an incredible game. It's narratively way ahead of any other game I can think of. People talk about the last of us as being some kind of high bar of videogame narrative. It isn't, Silent Hill 2 is.
    daheadonu wrote: »
    enhanced edition is actually so good it really makes you appreciate how bad the hd remaster is,it just looks so much better.

Haha, yup, its the Fan Made Enhanced Edition I have on my PC. Set it all up a few months back but never played it.
    I heard the PS3 remasters are horrendous years back so never went near them.

With those recommendations I'll start it tonight, light the fire, low lighting, perfect lads, thanks!

Advertisement