Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Currency

• 25-09-2019 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

New site launched today by Tom Lyons and Ian Kehoe and a fairly impressive line up of more contributors - http://thecurrency.news

Looks interesting. It's quite a line up. €25 a month though.

Hopefully it goes successfully.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

The contributors look good but I would have thought it should be priced around €10 a month or €100 a year. They should have a 1 month free trial as it is a big ask to expect someone to subscribe sight unseen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Communicorp are blocking any contributors from appearing on-air, same as they do with all Irish Times writers (except Sean Moncreiff) which is an odd move for a brand new outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

€250 a year for a site that seems to have just a small number of journalists is steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Thanks to Denis O'Brien's actions they have removed the paywall for 24 hours. Their articles, particularly the Sean Quinn one, are well researched and very good but €250 is a big ask.

https://twitter.com/TheCurrency_/status/1176887201214455808

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

L1011 wrote: »
    Communicorp are blocking any contributors from appearing on-air, same as they do with all Irish Times writers (except Sean Moncreiff) which is an odd move for a brand new outlet.
    Is this a sort of censorship?
    If so why are the NUJ members or union putting up with this? Its a disgraceful way to have any free speech, as I said in another thread (TLW TodayFM) - if this was done to journalists of religious articles/Newspapers, there would be serious outcry that the church/religion is being silenced etc.
    The guys working on The Currency have proven good records of good investigative journalism - who should be heard on the airwaves as well as read online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how is a paywalled news website a competitor of radio stations? newstalk produced some written content but its main thing is obviously the radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://www.thejournal.ie/new-bill-to-prevent-broadcasters-from-banning-journalists-from-some-publications-4850548-Oct2019/
    A NEW BILL to prevent broadcasters from banning journalists from appearing on their airwaves because of their employer will be brought forward in Dáil Éireann in the next two weeks.

The bill has been proposed by Sinn Féin TD and party spokesperson for communications David Cullinane.
    Last month, media company Communicorp wrote to its staff to ask them not to invite journalists from news website The Currency onto any of the group’s stations.

Communicorp owns radio stations such as Today FM, Newstalk and Spin 1038.

Denis O’Brien really is an appalling fellow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'd be unenforceable; stations would just keep their blocklists private effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dohboy

€250 a year is ridiculous. DOB isn't THAT interesting. It will die on its arse, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

are there any other examples of this occurring that don't involve DOB?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭the explorer

Has anyone joined? They are offering the first month for €5 atm so I was thinking of giving it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dohboy

I haven't anyway. Tbf I've seen links of some good stories, but I'm not arsed buying another sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭jones

Can't get over the price they are charging for this. I don't know anyone who subscribes even think the contributors would interest me.

Advertisement