Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools as therapy/Social engineering centers

Options
  • 25-09-2019 12:45pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Once upon a time schools were places of academic learning. There was a back round pastoral system but it was the secondary concern of schools and not the first.

Now the following have become as important if not the most important thing in schools
    1)Child obesity
    2) Climate change/recycling
    3 )Mental health
    4) Drugs education
    5)Internet abuse/bullying

I could go on and on. Society is failing on all fronts so some bright spark said-lets take our 'valued' teachers and let them preach to the masses. Lets wipe our hands totally of the issue-either by just issuing PR bull**** statements( Leo on climate strike) or chronically under funding services such as mental health services for kids. Lets give NGOs a place to market their wares and justify their existence

Lets not raise the age limit for access to Facebook and other vacuous sites (Im not saying they are totally a waste but if used excessively they are) and back up this limit with stiff penalties, if your child is caught online.
    I will leave space for others to rant. Im not a social worker. Im a teacher.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I'm surprised no opinions on this. Are there arguments in favour of this drift? I'd like to hear them

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bobtheman wrote:
    Now the following have become as important if not the most important thing in schools 1)Child obesity 2) Climate change/recycling 3 )Mental health 4) Drugs education 5)Internet abuse/bullying

Yea I think they're all extremely important issues to discuss and address in our educational system, as it was, and still is academically biased anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Spot on OP, but you're not going to get much support on it these days. Just have a look at the post above mine and you'll see the attitude you're dealing with.
    In our place, we're all about making life as easy as possible for the students and the school's ethos be damned. Don't worry about getting students to be responsible for their own work or being organised, as long as they're happy (ie. getting things their own way).
    Take one guess which way the results and behaviour are going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We are not the students' parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Teachers are employed to teach their subjects. Not to do the job of parents.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

OSI wrote: »
    Would I rather schools spent time teaching my child about the baby Jesus and his magical adventures, or how to better cope with the stresses of everyday life and the importance of self-care? Damn, that's a tough one.

Whether Religion should be taught or not is a separate issue. Isnt it your job as a parent to teach your child how to deal with emotional issues? The schools focus should be on reading,writing and arithmetic to name a few crucial things. Its also what teachers are trained in-not social work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Teachers are employed to teach their subjects. Not to do the job of parents.

But the DES thinks otherwise.....

Advertisement