Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Days off

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Tomw86 wrote: »
    Firstly, I am not advocating this course of action, and have never done so myself, BUT as the OP is female there is increased options available which may be hard for a doctor to specifically diagnose :P Especially with a job in retail that I assume would involve being on your feet and active all day.

Exactly, she's given enough notice anyway.
    I can't believe some people here think this kind of standards in the workplace is acceptable.

Maybe go to head office and ask for the time off, I'm sure the manager should be working every second holiday anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Tomw86

The manager having that time off EVERY year is a huge issue here and is not acceptable. This should form the basis of any argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

The manager having that time off EVERY year is a huge issue here and is not acceptable. This should form the basis of any argument.

Strongly disagree, OP should leave the manager out of it. Bringing up manager time off in a argument with Hr might only backfire.

To be clear, I agree manager being off is unfair but perhaps the manager works every other bank holiday, maybe does 60 hours weeks , maybe works after unofficial hours etc. Maybe the manager only true family time is that time off. Who knows but OP should stick to own case

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Strongly disagree, OP should leave the manager out of it. Bringing up manager time off in a argument with Hr might only backfire.

To be clear, I agree manager being off is unfair but perhaps the manager works every other bank holiday, maybe does 60 hours weeks , maybe works after unofficial hours etc. Maybe the manager only true family time is that time off. Who knows but OP should stick to own case

It is relevant as nobody else can take extended leave (more than 1 day) when they are off. So it has to be mentioned.

However many other bank holidays they work or hours they do is irrelevant - perhaps they can take time in January in lieu of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It is relevant as nobody else can take extended leave (more than 1 day) when they are off. So it has to be mentioned.

However many other bank holidays they work or hours they do is irrelevant - perhaps they can take time in January in lieu of this.

Management have a different contract & role/job and may be entitled to more perks because of their seniority. Annual leave is often granted by levels of seniority, with more senior staff getting preference.

It would be unfair if a fellow colleague was allowed the extended leave (aka an employee on the same level as OP) but not if its a manager.
    The manager will have a different contract and role so their terms of employment will be completely different.

Again, not agreeing with this but its the reality of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Don't 'not turn up' and don't hand in a sick cert.

You've asked for the time off and it's been refused so you'd be making a complete ass of yourself if you handed in a cert for the time you were looking off.

You are being very reasonable here. You are giving your employer plenty of notice (three months).

Write to HR explaining your situation and that you need this time off as it's a very important family event. Add into the letter that this is causing you extreme stress (which it is or else you wouldn't be on here) as you are under pressure from your family to attend. HR don't like to see the word stress in an email.

I'd be very surprised if HR didn't make some sort of accommodation for this once-off case.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

The company are behaving unreasonably.

You should be allowed time off to go to your sister's wedding.

So, you could look at the realm of constructive dismissal.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/dismissal/constructive_dismissal.html

This may focus the HR department a little more.

You have good advice here about writing the letter to HR. If you don't get a satisfactory result, then talk to a HR solicitor about taking a constructive dismissal case. Have all your information to hand before you threaten to walk out on your job. So that you can negotiate where necessary.

Best of luck.

A manager should be fair rather than greedy.
    Perk's of the job, here we go more of the manager should be up on a pedestal.

Manager's are quite easy to take down a peg or two.
    Especially if they're millennials or have an ego.

HR are there to keep a balance not take side's of management.
    Having a thick skin I'd actually make sure a manager like the one in the OP ups their standards and actually play fair.

It's all about not giving in or showing fear, they're only there to delegate work and answer to area management..

OP- it depresses me to realise that there are employers out there so heartless- best wishes on getting HR on your side- it would be a heartless ***** that wouldn't look to sort this for you, under normal circumstances alone, but with 12 years experience, you shouldn't even have to go through what you're about to.

Best wishes and enjoy the wedding.

PS- you could miss the flight the following day due to your taxi driver getting a puncture ;)

Ok so I’m getting the impression from these responses that I’m not being overly demanding?

not even a little bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

Your manager is a grade A a**hole

I'd be pretty sure if the OP goes far enough up the food chain they'll finally meet someone that will understand and get a solution.

Worst case scenario... Talk to Joe. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Next time I question the existence of unions, I’ll remember this thread. I can’t believe an employee of twelve years is being treated like this. If your manager was any good they would put themselves as a standby in case some does call in sick. Personally I think they are afraid of losing their every Christmas off if this is highlighted.

Next time I question the existence of unions, I’ll remember this thread. I can’t believe an employee of twelve years is being treated like this. If your manager was any good they would put themselves as a standby in case some does call in sick. Personally I think they are afraid of losing their every Christmas off if this is highlighted.

Well not only that but they could end up auditing the shop, maybe the manager isn't meant to be taking every Christmas off

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

I'm astounded your manager can get Christmas off. Management in my retail job aren't allowed to take holidays in November and December its that busy.

Next time I question the existence of unions, I’ll remember this thread.

An anonymous post from someone that's not exactly very active is getting you so exercised? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Next time I question the existence of unions, I’ll remember this thread.

An anonymous post from someone that's not exactly very active is getting you so exercised? :rolleyes:
    I never said exercised ? But I do question why there are unions when I All I hear in relation to them is strike, more money etc ... what the poster is going through is the exact reason unions are needed, I think it’s easyb to forget what they are actually for. In some jobs you will be shat all over unless you can collectively bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

I never said exercised ? But I do question why there are unions when I All I hear in relation to them is strike, more money etc ... what the poster is going through is the exact reason unions are needed, I think it’s easyb to forget what they are actually for. In some jobs you will be shat all over unless you can collectively bargain.

Can’t see how a union would help the OP. I think you will find that taking leave over Christmas in retail is not permitted even in union shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,544 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

C3PO wrote: »
    Can’t see how a union would help the OP. I think you will find that taking leave over Christmas in retail is not permitted even in union shops!

Well eh I'm not sure if a union would help in this situation, maybe they would have brought more clarity to the situation re: manager taking every christmas off if it is such a business critical period.
    If the company did have a blanket no leave policy, I'm guessing the OP would feel the situation to be less unfair.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement