Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Word cannot complete save"

Options
  • 25-09-2019 3:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭

Lately I've been getting this notification nearly every time I go to close a word file. I've been getting this for about a month now. So when I want to close a word document, I have to ignore the notification and try to close it again. I just keep trying to close it and on about the 4th attempt it eventually closes. It's a complete contradiction that it should be able to close if that notification is true.

I've also noticed this ~WRD002.temp file appear in my folders lately. I feel it might have something to do with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Have a look here. It may be of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

~WRD***.tmp is temporary file where your work changes are "saved" before you actually save document. If this file exist when you have no Word document open, is indication that there was problem saving document and "move" didn't happen. Apparently, on "save" action, your original document is deleted and *.tmp is renamed to actual document.
    A simplified view of the scheme used to save an edited file

Create temp file -> Create ~wrdxxxx.tmp
    Write temp file -> Save example data to ~wrdxxxx.tmp
    Delete original file -> Delete EXAMPLE.DOC
    Move temp to target name -> Move ~wrdxxxx.tmp to Example.doc
    Does this effect one specific document only?
    If yes:
    1. copy content of document, create new document, paste content, save under name_new, confirm your new document working OK, delete original document.
    Or
    2. use Save As, give different name, confirm your new document working OK, delete original.

See if helps.

Advertisement