Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecotrail Wicklow - 28 September

Options
  • 25-09-2019 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭

Haven’t seen any thread on this, so not sure whether anyone here is doing it.

Am signed up for the “fun run”, so not too challenging when compared to what else is on offer on the day – however am not looking forward to ascending Bray Head from the seafront side, all of my runs up it are from the Windgates/Greystones sides.

Have never done a trail race before, so wondering what I need to consider. Not concerned about nutrition as it’s only 18km, but more in terms of gear. I’ve got trail shoes (purchased after slipping on descent from Bray Head a few weeks ago!), but in terms of gear I’m guessing I should wear tights and long sleeves rather than shorts and short sleeves.

Anything else I should consider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I confidently predict that the vast majority will hike rather than run at least part of the Bray Head climb. It's rather steep from that side!

There are a few rough parts of the trail out there around Great Sugarloaf and I'll be wearing long sleeves and tights, especially since the weather forecast indicates that it might be wet at least for some part of the day. In the end it's your decision and for 18k it won't be as crucial as for the longer options.

Make sure you have all the mandatory items, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Thanks.

I guessed you'd reply! Saw on your Strava that you had been sussing out course segments.

Presume you're doing a longer route?

I have a compulsion to always do the longest available option :p

Really looking forward to it now. For someone who is basically a pure road runner I did not expect to enjoy my excursions into the local mountainside as much as I did.

Really looking forward to it now. For someone who is basically a pure road runner I did not expect to enjoy my excursions into the local mountainside as much as I did.

Likewise. Have experienced a greater variety of loops around Bray Head in past 6 weeks than in the whole cumulative 25 years that I've lived in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

I'm in the 80k.

You have the main thing covered with trail shoes. Leggings/shorts, Short/long sleeve ... personal choice and weather dependant. You have a much wider margin for getting these descisons sub-optimal (not wrong) in the shorter race.

Lots of ups and downs, and changes of running surface. So you're NOT aiming for steady speed, you're aiming for steady effort. If that means walking the steep stuff then no problem. Run your own race, and don't forget to look around occasionaly to enjoy the view (presuming there is one to see!).

Trail running is easier in a lot of ways than road running, as there is much more variety and much more to enjoy. So enjoy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Having a go at the 28km route and will definitely have time for the views. Really looking forward to this as the route takes in some great places to run through and appreciate. I "climbed" the North Face of Bray Head as a near 7 yr old Cub and 50 years later the memories are still vivid. Cannot wait. See ya out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Myself and a friend are signed up for the 28km, really looking forward to it, looks like a nice course with some epic views throughout, can I ask what ye are using to carry the water, got 500ml squeezy bottles that both leaked but have a camel back I can use.

glic83 wrote: »
    Myself and a friend are signed up for the 28km, really looking forward to it, looks like a nice course with some epic views throughout, can I ask what ye are using to carry the water, got 500ml squeezy bottles that both leaked but have a camel back I can use.

A camelback (2L). Hands free running for me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

I am aware of a very serious University athlete doing the long run. Seriously talented but no club. Did connemara and seems to be totally focused on this run.

denis b wrote: »
    A camelback (2L). Hands free running for me :pac:

That's the way I'm looking, found with the bottles in the front pockets of the vest it sat better than with a 2L Camelback ,I found the vest raising, as the weight was pulling down, just found it a more comfortable run with the weight in the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

My AC will be marshalling from little sugar loaf to plucks, looking forward to cheering you all on. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I’ll be doing the 28k myself.
    I’ll probably get lost.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Just picked up my number.

Overheard someone saying there are 1100 entrants. Much more than I expected. Plenty of people seem to have come from overseas.

Enjoyed that. Legs are feeling the pain this evening though! Not used to that sort of climbing and descending.

First time doing anything like that, but will be back. Hopefully event returns next year and I can step up from 18k to a longer distance.

Excellently marshalled, and great spread of treats at the end. Even free Wicklow Wolf beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Peckham wrote: »
    Enjoyed that. Legs are feeling the pain this evening though! Not used to that sort of climbing and descending.

First time doing anything like that, but will be back. Hopefully event returns next year and I can step up from 18k to a longer distance.

Excellently marshalled, and great spread of treats at the end. Even free Wicklow Wolf beer!

I drank two of them before I realized it was non-alcoholic :(

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

The event was very well organised and extremely well run today, did the 28km was hard going, but enjoyable experience

Peckham wrote: »

Loved it, apart from the cramping legs which had me suffering like a dog for a good while but somehow I miraculously recovered. Those trails are just stunning! Was very glad to finish, though.
    Even free Wicklow Wolf beer!

I drank mine in one go. Apparently the fastest one they've seen all day. At least I was the fastest at something today! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done all. Nice to see you at the Djouce checkpoint Tomas.

<See Edit below: I see results on RedTag but they don't seem to be complete? As the entry numbers was a lot higher than those listed.>
    Early results were only provisional. Latest results appear comprehensive.

Those fireman (?) pushing and pulling the wheelchair for the duration of the 80k were amazing!!!

Legs are sore after the 28km , couldn't imagine doing the 80km, well done guys, finished 141st out of the 28km delighted with that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I signed up for the 80k months ago and fully intended to get back up to big mileage and mountain runs to train...mental work load got in the way of that (I hate when work gets in the way of real life) Anyway, other stuff got in the way in the last few weeks, chest infections and brother being sick...against better judgement I toed the line anyway this morning in a hope that a 12 hour excursion would be good for the head but emotions have wreaked havoc on the body and the legs where like lead from the start, I strolled up sugarloaf and forgot to start running again at the top.
    Tapped out at sugarloaf carpark with nothing left to give. I should not have started that race today.

3 out of my last 5 races are now DNFs. In fairness, good reasons for the DNFs if someone else told me they where theirs but reads as a bad stat.

Paul and co put on one hell of a race, that is an absolute beast and the sniffle I got today will surely bring back a bit of an itch for the ultra scene. Well done to everyone, there was no short or easy race in that today and luckily for most it turned out to be decent day. I'll be back to tackle that one again. Had never heard of this franchise before, interesting races would definitely make a good addition to a holiday destination for your unsuspecting holiday companions. :D

edit: good to see a few familiar boards faces who I've not had the pleasure to see for a few years. Peckham, forgot you where running, I was still milling around before the start of the 18k, pity I missed you.

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed marshalling today, everyone in good spirits although I was only 8k in and had an easy job of sending people down the little sugarloaf.

I would say a lot of people were totally overdressed given the mild conditions, great to see a huge overseas contingent too, no doubt getting a super taste of hill running here.

Did the 28km run and it did me :pac:. Superbly organised and well marked course which had been groomed to reduce gorse contact particularly on the back of the Sugar Loaf. Great variety of trails and more climbing than I expected. Some dedicated training in order for next year!

i008787 wrote: »
    I am aware of a very serious University athlete doing the long run. Seriously talented but no club. Did connemara and seems to be totally focused on this run.

How did he fair out?

denis b wrote: »
    Did the 28km run and it did me :pac:. Superbly organised and well marked course which had been groomed to reduce gorse contact particularly on the back of the Sugar Loaf. Great variety of trails and more climbing than I expected. Some dedicated training in order for next year!

It was like a scene from the walking dead at times, especially coming up to the photographer on the way back on little sugar loaf, everyone seemed to be hiking back up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Really enjoyed marshalling today, everyone in good spirits although I was only 8k in and had an easy job of sending people down the little sugarloaf.

Free downhill!!!

Really enjoyed the 28k.. completely underestimated the climbing.. legs were dead at about 20k!!

Fail play to the marshals and organizers i'll def have another go next year but with more training!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Done the 18k, toughest run I've ever done to date. Had only ran the like's of the Warrior Run in Sligo previously, wasn't prepared for that amount of ascending. Just made it in under 2hrs, glad the rain stayed away. Hopefully it's ran again next year, major kudos to anyone running the longer distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

A good day out. 1st M50 in the 80km, 4th overall, so not too bad. I could definitely feel my age category towards the end (and maybe my last race a bit as well). The Richie Healy trophies are my favourite of any from any race in the world. No plastic there!

It was great seeing a big international franchise run so very well in Ireland. A huge step up for trail and ultra running in Ireland. Great organisation. We did well with the weather as well. It turned out quite benign in the end, with mostly dry trails. The views from along the top of bray head heading for the finish were awesome.

Good Irish results accross all the races too. Well done to everyone taking part. A great atmosphere out there. Hopefully plenty of new converts to trail running as well (make sure to join in the IMRA runs if this was your first experience of running in the hills).

Free downhill!!!

Really enjoyed the 28k.. completely underestimated the climbing.. legs were dead at about 20k!!

Fail play to the marshals and organizers i'll def have another go next year but with more training!

Free downhill for everyone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

Well done all. Nice to see you at the Djouce checkpoint Tomas.

<See Edit below: I see results on RedTag but they don't seem to be complete? As the entry numbers was a lot higher than those listed.>
    Early results were only provisional. Latest results appear comprehensive.

Those fireman (?) pushing and pulling the wheelchair for the duration of the 80k were amazing!!!

Yes, most events today have 9-15% DNS rates - the longer the race, the higher the figure (as a general rule) which is understandable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement