Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHiPs (and the price of spuds)

Options
  • 25-09-2019 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

I feckin' love them in all forms, chunky fat ones, McDonalds skinny ones, SuperMacs regular ones and the ones I cook at home myself either from frozen or from potato's.
    What I'd like to know is why are most chippers and take away's in Ireland so stingy with their portions?
    I remember being shocked going to a chipper in England and getting a huge portion of chips for roughly the same cost as here.

So, is the cost of spuds ridiculously high here in Ireland and that's why the chippers are mean with the chips?

Comments

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I feckin' love them in all forms, chunky fat ones, McDonalds skinny ones, SuperMacs regular ones and the ones I cook at home myself either from frozen or from potato's.
    What I'd like to know is why are most chippers and take away's in Ireland so stingy with their portions?
    I remember being shocked going to a chipper in England and getting a huge portion of chips for roughly the same cost as here.

So, is the cost of spuds ridiculously high here in Ireland and that's why the chippers are mean with the chips?

Last time I got chips in a chipper I got enough to feed a family.

Like a lot of things in Ireland I suspect it boils down to just plain greed.

I tried to pay for a single pint in a city centre pub recently with a debit card. The fuss yer man made about it, wanted to charge me 10 euros and give me the change because he doesnt do tap transactions under 10 euros because of the service charge :rolleyes:

I know that has nothing to do with chips, but its an anecdote of how some people think skimping on little things helps their business or their profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would have said the standard bag of chips from Italian chippers is too big tbh, theres enough there for two people. irrc rubadub weighed a bag before and it came to something like 400-500g, half a kilo of chips is way too much for one person imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭This is it

Wouldn't eat a full bag myself from the local but I don't think a bag would do two either. A large is perfect, I think it's €3.60, would do two people no bother.

I really fancy some chips now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

It would all depend on if the chippers were actually buying in actual bags of spuds Or buying in pre skinned and precut ones. These would obviously have a higher cost.

My sister has a food van and she has said the price of a 10kg bag of spuds has gone up a couple of euro in the last year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,009 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The potatoes used for chipper chips are mostly imported - from the UK - which will have an impact versus domestic grown varieties for one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I still think we're getting ripped off, €3.60 for a bag of chips - I wonder what weight of spuds you can buy wholesale for that?
    In the past I've ordered two large portions of chips and I'd still scoff the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Would have said the standard bag of chips from Italian chippers is too big tbh, theres enough there for two people. irrc rubadub weighed a bag before and it came to something like 400-500g, half a kilo of chips is way too much for one person imo.

agreed,
    if we get chipper as a treat, we just get two bags between two adults and 3 kids, and still have some left over.

How much does a large portion from Supermacs weigh I wonder? Anyone at a loose end today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I still think we're getting ripped off, €3.60 for a bag of chips - I wonder what weight of spuds you can buy wholesale for that?
    In the past I've ordered two large portions of chips and I'd still scoff the lot.

That's only a little bit more than the cost of a bag of chips in Eastern Europe :(

I miss chips and greasy takeaways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

1)2 slices of really fresh bread
    2)butter really fresh bread
    3)put really fresh hot chips straight from bag onto bread
    4)add a little ketchup
    5)cut chip sandwich in half
    6)down the hatch

forestgirl wrote: »
    4)add a little ketchup
    6)down the hatch

Man I love carbs on carbs.

4)add a little ketchup
    6)down the hatch

Mayo instead of kethcup, or better still some home made ailoi.

Man I love carbs on carbs.

I was in a conversation with a friend of a friend who let it be known that they weren't allowed to have bread at the kitchen table when they were growing up in a wealthy suburb in Dublin as it was "too common", according to the auldone.

We were all shocked.....using a cut of bread to mop up the last bite and clean the plate was a rite of passage almost when we were all kids. When I mentioned a chip sambo, he was appalled because of the carbs overload. It got me thinking of the varying degrees of insanity I've seen on people's sandwiches down through the years....family members (and myself) included....

Spaghetti bolognaise on bread
    Curry sambo
    Stew sambo
    Guy in my class used to have a mini steak n kidney pie on a roll in school
    Lasagne on bread

I was in a conversation with a friend of a friend who let it be known that they weren't allowed to have bread at the kitchen table when they were growing up in a wealthy suburb in Dublin as it was "too common", according to the auldone.

We were all shocked.....using a cut of bread to mop up the last bite and clean the plate was a rite of passage almost when we were all kids. When I mentioned a chip sambo, he was appalled because of the carbs overload. It got me thinking of the varying degrees of insanity I've seen on people's sandwiches down through the years....family members (and myself) included....

Curry sambo
    Stew sambo
    Lasagne on bread

That's just strange. I guess capital cities do get a bit weird. There's a similar fit/social status obsession going in the capital city I'm living in.

Oh my god the lasagna on bread!!!! I remember that. epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,597 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Canteen in work used to serve lasagne with a slice of garlic bread. Many people got chips on the side...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Spanish folk love Tortilla de patatas in a bread roll.
    We're not the only ones who like potato sandwiches.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Canteen in work used to serve lasagne with a slice of garlic bread. Many people got chips on the side...

Lasagne, garlic bread, chips, spuds and veg!
    Ireland.

Ireland.

Not enough chips though!

two spoons of spag bol or indeed lasagne inbetween two slices of buttered bread (real butter only, no fake rubbish) is a sweet delight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

It got me thinking of the varying degrees of insanity I've seen on people's sandwiches down through the years....family members (and myself) included....

Curry sambo
    Stew sambo
    Lasagne on bread

I used to have mushy pea sandwiches. Open a tin of mushy peas and microwave them and make a sandwich with lots of butter.

Also, in college we used to go to the local deli and get a spicy wedges with mayo and cheese in a roll.

I also made sauteed mushroom and onion sandwiches with lots of garlic butter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ireland.

I remember working in Athlone where people in the canteen ordered boiled potatoes with spag bol. Peeled the potatoes at the table and mashed them into the spag bol.

Midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

4)add a little ketchup
    6)down the hatch

Anyone got any keyboard wipes?...
    I'm drooling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I remember working in Athlone where people in the canteen ordered boiled potatoes with spag bol. Peeled the potatoes at the table and mashed them into the spag bol.

Midlands.

I have a friend from Ballinasloe who does the same.

It should be noted though that the traditional way of eating pasta & pesto is with cubes of potato* mixed in, so 'potatoes with pasta' is perhaps more cultured than we thought :cool:

*haricots also, for completists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

The ultimate chip on bread feast is a mitraillette, Belgian friteries ftw

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitraillette

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I have a friend from Ballinasloe who does the same.

It should be noted though that the traditional way of eating pasta & pesto is with cubes of potato* mixed in, so 'potatoes with pasta' is perhaps more cultured than we thought :cool:

*haricots also, for completists

Sliced potato on pizza is really good though, with garlic, fontina, rosemary and sea salt. No tomato.

The ultimate chip on bread feast is a mitraillette, Belgian friteries ftw

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitraillette

The average Belgian chipper wipes the floor with any Irish chipper for the quality of the chips.
    Never soggy, pale underdone chips in Belgium!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

the varying degrees of insanity I've seen on people's sandwiches down through the years <SNIP>

Lasagne on bread

Dont knock this.

Use batch bread for "strength", real butter, day old cold lasagne, little parm on top. Totally incredible.

Seriously. It's awesome eats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sweet potato fries costing €5 always baffled me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

What's the best spud for the chip?

Advertisement