Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHiPs (and the price of spuds)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

RasTa wrote: »
    Sweet potato fries costing €5 always baffled me.

yeah seems to be sold as a premium product here. Same in the supermarkets, they just stick it in a black bag and suddenly its posh and they charge 30% more than regular chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What's the best spud for the chip?

I think Maris Piper is generally accepted as the chip spud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭satguy

Francesco's Takeaway here in Portlaoise,, €3 for a bag of chips,, more than one person can eat.

You have 4 slices of batch bread buttered at home waiting, you leg it home with the hot chips.
    Quickly put hot chips on to the bottom half of a slice of batch and fold to make your chip sambo.

Repeat X 3

Happy Days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I feckin' love them in all forms, chunky fat ones, McDonalds skinny ones, SuperMacs regular ones and the ones I cook at home myself either from frozen or from potato's.
    What I'd like to know is why are most chippers and take away's in Ireland so stingy with their portions?
    I remember being shocked going to a chipper in England and getting a huge portion of chips for roughly the same cost as here.

So, is the cost of spuds ridiculously high here in Ireland and that's why the chippers are mean with the chips?

Wages are higher here, weather is wetter.

Danzy wrote: »
    Wages are higher here, weather is wetter.

Some chippers and owners are just scabby c*****. How much is a big sack of spuds..... €6.50 for 7.5kg in tesco.

And how much cheaper would they be if you used two bags a day, so bought them in bulk from your supplier?...... Say €4 for, what, 7-9 bags of chips?

There's no excuse to be scaldy with the chips. Go to a decent chipper in England or even NI and see what freshly battered fish tastes like as well. The amount of chippers I've had to cross off my list after getting soggy, doughy batter on the inside is scandalous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I sometime have an urge to have chips with lots of salt and vinegar and ice-cream - I've never really done it but something about it makes me want it. I say I've never really done it 'cause I have had McDonalds chips and a milk shake and that's similar if not the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,009 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some chippers and owners are just scabby c*****. How much is a big sack of spuds..... €6.50 for 7.5kg in tesco.

And how much cheaper would they be if you used two bags a day, so bought them in bulk from your supplier?...... Say €4 for, what, 7-9 bags of chips?

There's no excuse to be scaldy with the chips. Go to a decent chipper in England or even NI and see what freshly battered fish tastes like as well. The amount of chippers I've had to cross off my list after getting soggy, doughy batter on the inside is scandalous.

The 6.50 for 7kg potatoes (roosters, in this case) will make relatively poor chips, though. And they certainly aren't the type used by any chipper.

You'd be quite surprised to find that smaller food service places often pay more for raw materials than consumers pay in discounters for them. I know of a food truck operator that bought their veg in Aldi until the quantities got too high to do so!

There are far more costs too - for instance PL insurance for a venue that opens late at night and gets many pissed people in it is going to be quite high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Sliced potato on pizza is really good though, with garlic, fontina, rosemary and sea salt. No tomato.

I've had sliced potato and truffle oil on a pizza, alright (there might have have been fontina also) - it was lethal, at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Are most Maris Pipes imported? Local pub bore has been on about how Brexit will be impacting chippers once it happens. We might see soon

• Registered Users Posts: 69,009 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, and while there's other types you can use they will go up in price due to demand if there's an interruption to Maris Piper supplies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

A tub of garlic sauce is a must with my bag of chips.

That has to be made fresh and can't be bought prepared from a supermarket as it is cream mixed with mayonnaise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Smiles35 wrote: »
    A tub of garlic sauce is a must with my bag of chips.

That has to be made fresh and can't be bought prepared from a supermarket as it is cream mixed with mayonnaise.

I don't like the stuff from the bottle put on kebabs. Especially when it mixes with the overly sweet chilli sauce from another bottle. Nope.

The kebab shop here used to have simple blitzed chillies as their chilli sauce. Stopped doing it now but was great.

This could be good. I like a bit of tahini in it though, and dill, lemon etc.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/yogurt-garlic-sauce-recipe-2355489

I'd rather keep decent sauces at home these days, to add on later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Surely some landowner has considered the price of Maris Pipers increasing because of brexit and has planted a load of them?
    Maybe we'll have to make do with some locally grown brand of spud? I don't care I'll still love them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

igCorcaigh wrote: »

This could be good. I like a bit of tahini in it though, and dill, lemon etc.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/yogurt-garlic-sauce-recipe-2355489

Look up Ottolenghi's recipe for roasted aubergine salad; basically the sauce above with some saffron (though it's perfect without, too).

Divine, I could eat it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Otto's saffron dressing is divine. I just never thought I would see it referenced in a conversation about the price of chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Spaghetti bolognaise on bread
    Curry sambo
    Stew sambo
    Guy in my class used to have a mini steak n kidney pie on a roll in school
    Lasagne on bread

I'm not a big bread eater by any stretch, a sliced pan lasts me for months, I only generally take a couple of slices out of the freezer for 4 things.

Boiled eggs and toast
    Stew sambos
    Shepherds pie sambo
    Sausage sambo / Fry up

Advertisement